Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Cams for the TC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cams for the TC?

Some of my friends keep telling me that if I boost my TC I should get cams too, so I was just wondering if any company has or is making cams for the TC. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no cams out yet...and dont listen to your friends, let me guess...they are honda boys?
Old 04-16-2006, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish they had a cam out. When the hell are they going to come out with an intake manifold/fuel rail?
Old 04-16-2006, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or even a spark plug cover,
Old 04-17-2006, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i found FERREA brand valve rings and valves for our TC on ebay. IMO, not really a need to have, but go check it out.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your friends probably dont know what they are talking about. I read in Maximum Boost that usually the stock cams perform well enough for most street turbo applications. I mean you have to be realistic. Pce
Old 04-17-2006, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Couldn't someone get some blank cams from Toyota and take them to a shop to do a custom grind? This was, people can try to figure out what would be better options to try and then try them and dyno them. Of course there would need to be a lot of discussing in order to come up with usable numbers.

Or maybe the VVTi makes it so we do not need new cams and I am thinking about older V8's.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I dont think you should put in cams for the boost. The cost of cams is really high compared to just getting a super charger or turbo charger.

DONT WASTE MONEY ON CAMS!!
Old 04-17-2006, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

A good set of cams is FAR from wasting money. Especially if you are doing a complete custom setup and not just bolting on kits. And even more important with a completely NA setup. With a good p&p head, intake, header, exhaust, good tuning system and a properly ground set of cams from a good shop you should be able to put some respectful NA numbers down. And before anyone adds the "you cant beat the FI guys NA" crap, that is not the point to start with. But I would say with the above mods you should be able to push close to the numbers the SC with stock pulley is with a wider powerband on top of that (which makes the peak number difference go away between the two). So for those that love building NA power they would be great. For those with FI it would be equally great.

If you REALLY wanted to do it all NA you could find some lightweight rods and pistons to increase the safe piston velocity (raise the redline) and get them at 11:1 compression. You would be turning some very nice numbers then. And again, if you did it right you could most likely be producing a wider powerband, which again is worth more than a higher peak number. I would love to see some guys pushing 200+ WHP completely NA. I know a few are already trying.

I did hear that Golden Eagle (forgive me if that is the wrong company) is working on some 100% new cams (no regrinds) for the tC, but not sure what is going on with them at the moment.

But yeah, those guys sound like they know nothing about the tC at all. Besides what some guys that have barely driven 4 bangers at all in thier life or are just starting to drive, most will tell you the car does well for its class power wise. It is no sports car, but is a good starting point for power. If you are looking at being the fastest street legal thing in a 1/4 mile at the moment you are probably not picking THE top choice to start with, but for that matter you arent picking the right drive train or number of cylinders either But the tC has plenty of potential to compete and to be a great street car.

VVTi only adjusts the cam angle (changes the overlap) so a new set of cams would be great to increase lift and duration. With that and some tuning on the VVTi system you could make some nice differences.

But I think cams would be the next logical add on once you figure out the boost platform you are going to use. I am sure some will be coming soon.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cams are good for boost and na use. im not here 2 start prolems but cams do help for lift means more air in and more air out think about it. (air, fuel comp.) makes power!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there was a topic out about this awhile ago. i'm sure darren or somebody will let us know when we will get cams. when they do come out then i might go the aaaall motor route. my civic was all motor that put down low 13s with a lil spray. i had a bullfrog cam in it which made it lope a bit like a muscle car, and some other goodies.

the con on cams r possible bad emissions.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
A good set of cams is FAR from wasting money. Especially if you are doing a complete custom setup and not just bolting on kits. And even more important with a completely NA setup. With a good p&p head, intake, header, exhaust, good tuning system and a properly ground set of cams from a good shop you should be able to put some respectful NA numbers down. And before anyone adds the "you cant beat the FI guys NA" crap, that is not the point to start with. But I would say with the above mods you should be able to push close to the numbers the SC with stock pulley is with a wider powerband on top of that (which makes the peak number difference go away between the two). So for those that love building NA power they would be great. For those with FI it would be equally great.

If you REALLY wanted to do it all NA you could find some lightweight rods and pistons to increase the safe piston velocity (raise the redline) and get them at 11:1 compression. You would be turning some very nice numbers then. And again, if you did it right you could most likely be producing a wider powerband, which again is worth more than a higher peak number. I would love to see some guys pushing 200+ WHP completely NA. I know a few are already trying.

I did hear that Golden Eagle (forgive me if that is the wrong company) is working on some 100% new cams (no regrinds) for the tC, but not sure what is going on with them at the moment.

But yeah, those guys sound like they know nothing about the tC at all. Besides what some guys that have barely driven 4 bangers at all in thier life or are just starting to drive, most will tell you the car does well for its class power wise. It is no sports car, but is a good starting point for power. If you are looking at being the fastest street legal thing in a 1/4 mile at the moment you are probably not picking THE top choice to start with, but for that matter you arent picking the right drive train or number of cylinders either But the tC has plenty of potential to compete and to be a great street car.

VVTi only adjusts the cam angle (changes the overlap) so a new set of cams would be great to increase lift and duration. With that and some tuning on the VVTi system you could make some nice differences.

But I think cams would be the next logical add on once you figure out the boost platform you are going to use. I am sure some will be coming soon.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Then the question becomes, would it have to be trial and error finding the right grind or could it be possible to use what is stock to determine a pretty good spot to start in?

And as far as how cams are NOT a waste of money, putting a cam in a close to stock LS1 can gain 40-50rwhp. Putting one in the boosted ones gets soooo much more.

AND you can make your car have a bad ___ lope!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

In a turboset up I think "overlap" is not as desirable compared to a NA set up.

Cams aren't a bad idea. But with the valve technology etc going into cars now. Depending on your applications you get varried gains.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will be building a custom tC soon enough, after I return from basic training. I can assure you that I will have some custom cam's ground for me through a buddies shop. It will cost me a good amount, but I am sure that they will sell. Mine will be FI (turbo) but again, custom setup, built block, reliability. When it happens, i will share.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bsmntcuts
I wish they had a cam out. When the hell are they going to come out with an intake manifold/fuel rail?
I saw on some website that there is a fuel rail out for the tC. I'll try to find it again and post it here for everyone.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blackonblacktc
no cams out yet...and dont listen to your friends, let me guess...they are honda boys?
Nope their not honda boys, 2 drive GST Eclipses, 2 drive cavaliers, 1 drives a Trans Am, and 1 drives a modified saturn(and a truck the saturn is his daily driver) And the guys in the GST's built up their own engines in their garage(internals, and bolt on's, same with the cavalier guys)
Old 04-17-2006, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCb00b
Your friends probably dont know what they are talking about. I read in Maximum Boost that usually the stock cams perform well enough for most street turbo applications. I mean you have to be realistic. Pce
Well thats what you read, some of my friends have boosted cars, 1 is about to boost his cavalier, and they all have cams in or waiting to go in, So my friends who are around 20-27 and have been working on cars since middle school, 1 grew up in a garage mechanic family, and have all personally built at least 1 car from the ground up by themselves don't know what their talking about?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by io333
Originally Posted by engifineer

WOW! Thats some good help. I'm probably going to do a S/C build up. So with a S/C, full exhaust, 3" piping w/HKS high flow muffler, DC race header, s/c air intake, light weight flywheel, bigger injectors, bosch 110 spark plugs, light weight crank pulley, underdrive pullies, & 11psi S/C pullies I should be putting out good power for a daily driver.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I talked to kenny abotu thsi a few days ago and he said that right now for n/a people its not worth it on the tC. As far as F/I the are being built and should be out sometime this summer. thats all i know.

Quick Reply: Cams for the TC?