Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Can we swap heads??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Can we swap heads??

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to put the 1az-fe head on the 2az-fe block? The 1az-fe head is much more efficient with its direct injection. It also flows a lot better from what I am told. I know that these motors are basically the same, just different rod:stroke ratio and other stuff like that. Do you think this can be done? I just think it would make for a lot better/reliable motor... I mean other motors and heads have been mated like this before, I.E. B16 head on ls, etc. etc. I posted this a while back on clubsciontc but didn't get any answers so I was just wondering if anyone has attempted it or know if its even possible... thanks

Stephen
Old 02-23-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Can we swap heads??

Originally Posted by t_urbo_C_harged
I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to put the 1az-fe head on the 2az-fe block? The 1az-fe head is much more efficient with its direct injection. It also flows a lot better from what I am told. I know that these motors are basically the same, just different rod:stroke ratio and other stuff like that. Do you think this can be done? I just think it would make for a lot better/reliable motor... I mean other motors and heads have been mated like this before, I.E. B16 head on ls, etc. etc. I posted this a while back on clubsciontc but didn't get any answers so I was just wondering if anyone has attempted it or know if its even possible... thanks

Stephen

toyota doesnt usealy swap that east

case in point the 2jz-gte and the 2jz-ge heads are not interchangable

try it out though and let me know how it goes ill be 2nd in line (right behind you) for a head swap if you can pull it off
Old 02-23-2006, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

y would u want to go from a 2.4 to a 2.0?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its not a motor swap...just a head swap. Overall displacement wont change.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a 2.0 motor im pretty sure thats what a 1az is and 2az is 2.4 and the only head that i know you could swap is a 88-89 3sgte with a 90-93 3sgte alltrac but u must use exhaust, intake man. and alot more to it
Old 02-24-2006, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by garyc_01
its a 2.0 motor im pretty sure thats what a 1az is and 2az is 2.4 and the only head that i know you could swap is a 88-89 3sgte with a 90-93 3sgte alltrac but u must use exhaust, intake man. and alot more to it
like The_Instigator said, it is a head swap, not an engine swap. These motors are pretty much identical except the rod-to-stroke ratio and the head. The rod-to-stroke ratio is basically what determines how high the engine revs, how much torque the motor will produce, and the "liters" of the car. The head is a direct injection head, called by toyota the D4, and this head flows a lot better then the current 2az-fe head (I have heard and read). The reason I would want to do this swap would be to have a lot more control of the fuel because it would be much more efficient with the direct injection, and thats where the better flow helps too. I know it may be impossible, but there is always a chance. Maybe this combo would produce 200+ hp with a good tune, CAI, exhaust (the basics) or maybe it wont work at all. I just thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss and see if it could actually work and produce good numbers. Maybe ZPI could loan me a stage 1 racing block so I could test fit it!

Stephen
Old 02-24-2006, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

all though the engien parts are similar or identical as some of you stated, it will not work beacuse the toyota parts are not UNIVERSAL as the honda B-series or K-series engines,

i've looked into this alreayd and i have already contacted toyota engineers, they said it wunt work.

prove me wrong someone because LIFT iwould be an awesome feature in our engines... but then again, we cant rev high enough for LIFT so its kinda pointless.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

anything is possible with the right machine shop
Old 02-24-2006, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by garyc_01
like The_Instigator said, it is a head swap, not an engine swap. These motors are pretty much identical except the rod-to-stroke ratio and the head. The rod-to-stroke ratio is basically what determines how high the engine revs, how much torque the motor will produce, and the "liters" of the car. The head is a direct injection head, called by toyota the D4, and this head flows a lot better then the current 2az-fe head (I have heard and read). The reason I would want to do this swap would be to have a lot more control of the fuel because it would be much more efficient with the direct injection, and thats where the better flow helps too. I know it may be impossible, but there is always a chance. Maybe this combo would produce 200+ hp with a good tune, CAI, exhaust (the basics) or maybe it wont work at all. I just thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss and see if it could actually work and produce good numbers. Maybe ZPI could loan me a stage 1 racing block so I could test fit it!

Stephen

first off he wasnt saying it was a motor swap he said he knows you could swap on the old celica

and as far as the size of the 1azfe every thing online says its a 2.0l motor

http://www.enginereplacement.com/htdocs/toyota.htm

http://www.overlander.com.au/pg/vehi...sts.php?id=219

and ill stop here since this is straight from toyota lol

http://toyota-africa.com/showroom/av...003/specs.html

I WIN!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey man i live like 20 min away from you!
nothing great just dont see to many people on here from around where we live. turboed, eh? you oughta swing that whip by and let me take a test drive

btw, wtf is up with the weather???
50's two weeks ago,
teens last week,
back up to 50's again! I went from wearing every winter excessory i had last fri night when it was like negative degrees and now i barely need a jacket! weird. i guess that mo for ya! Later
Old 02-24-2006, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote}first off he wasnt saying it was a motor swap he said he knows you could swap on the old celica

and as far as the size of the 1azfe every thing online says its a 2.0l motor

http://www.enginereplacement.com/htdocs/toyota.htm

http://www.overlander.com.au/pg/vehi...sts.php?id=219

and ill stop here since this is straight from toyota lol

http://toyota-africa.com/showroom/av...003/specs.html

I WIN!!! [/quote]

I could have swarn I read that they are the same block, just different bore, stroke, and rod legth... I couldnt find it right now though, its too darn late!!! I will try and find it tomorrow though but I could be wrong! I have been wrong before, although rare! j/k well you stumped me as of now, and I will admit you win for now...

Stephen
Old 02-24-2006, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

same block doesnt mean same displacement

in fact. different bore and stroke usually means different displacment.

the bottom end on the 1azfe might be different as well.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
same block doesnt mean same displacement

in fact. different bore and stroke usually means different displacment.

the bottom end on the 1azfe might be different as well.

it is diffrant did you see my post just above yours???
Old 02-24-2006, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they do have different displacement...

1az-f(s)e = 2.0L = 1998cc

2az-fe = 2.4L = 2362cc

I again could have swarn I read that these engines are basically the same, but I am guessing I was on drugs that day j/p

Stephen
Old 02-24-2006, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they do have different displacement...

1az-f(s)e = 2.0L = 1998cc

2az-fe = 2.4L = 2362cc

I again could have swarn I read that these engines are basically the same, but I am guessing I was on drugs that day j/p

Stephen
if the head fits though it could be like doing the b16 head on the b20's that makes a monster so check to see if it fits

it still might be worth it
Old 02-28-2006, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well first I need some specs of each head first to see if the 1az-fe head is even big enough for the 2az-fe block, let alone seeing if its compatable...

Stephen