Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

car shaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default car shaking

Here is the situation. I have a 06 auto tC. I have been in a small parking lot accident where my front bumper was replaced. My car shakes when I am stopped at like a red light, It will drop below 500 rpm and shake, without the AC on. If the AC is on it shakes more. When I throw it in Nuetral all the shaking stops, and the rpms pop back up to about 800. put it in park and its fine. If I give it some gas in drive but hold the brake and raise rpm to about 600-700rpm the shaking stops, but letting off it comes back. It spurs almost like my car wants to die. Ive replaced the plugs. This has been going on for a while, but i've always checked it off as the A/C since in cali I always run with my AC on. Ive put the car back to stock and that didn't help. About a year ago I did a small hydrolock, but turned the car off right when i realized i was in deep ______ and water. Insurance payed for it to get fixed, after it was fixed I took it to a family friend who owns a shop in socal and he looked over the work and said they did a good job and my rods or anything wasn't damage.

What can I look at to fix this problem?
Motor mounts?
belts?
seafoam(would rather not)?
Suggestions?
Ill make a video after work tomorrow.

I just tipped 57k, and am thinking of boosting. would rather get this problem fixed now.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MAF sensor? Not sure how. Seafoam I doubt would do anything. I would recommend you to at least pull the ecu fuse out. I cant remember if there is a backup or not but pull it too if there is. I know there was in my integra and I did this to reset the ecu. Let it run for about 10 min or so and drive it around. The ecu will need to reset everything which will take some time. Try this and see it if goes away.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

This has happened to me. It goes away if you let the ECU reset in my case.

However, being you were in a small wreck, it might be that the motor mounts or trans mounts are damaged.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the answers, I didn't know if the mounts are damaged. I'm trying to avoid fixing the problem without taking it to a shop.

I cleaned the MAF, but I don't know if it needs to be replaced. Ill research how to test the MAF.

So you're saying pull the fuses to the ECU, plug them back in start the car and let it sit for 10 min, than drive around? The battery should still be connected? the most anything related is disconnecting the battery overnight, than connecting it and letting it sit for 10 min than drive for 10 min.

It just feels like it idles low and if it would bump up 200 rpm itd be money.

Last edited by mrhat; 03-05-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

that sounds like what I have done yes. Does the RPM needle appear lower then ~750? Also resetting the ECU is pretty easy. Just pull the fuse, let it set for a while, then put it back in, and like u said let it idle and then drive.

Worth a shot, and its free!
Old 03-05-2010, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes. I am going to take pics and vid. Sometimes it won't shake that bad and than like fans or something kick on and it will shake more. Lookalike it idles between400-500
Old 03-05-2010, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Def try the ECU reset. Any CEL codes by chance?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No cel only one I'm pulling is for headers I put in last week but I have the antifouler.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrhat
Thanks for the answers, I didn't know if the mounts are damaged. I'm trying to avoid fixing the problem without taking it to a shop.

I cleaned the MAF, but I don't know if it needs to be replaced. Ill research how to test the MAF.

So you're saying pull the fuses to the ECU, plug them back in start the car and let it sit for 10 min, than drive around? The battery should still be connected? the most anything related is disconnecting the battery overnight, than connecting it and letting it sit for 10 min than drive for 10 min.

It just feels like it idles low and if it would bump up 200 rpm itd be money.

Cleaning the MAF is good. Though it may not even need it. Yes the battery should be connected. Just pull the ecu fuse...its under the hood. Pretty easy. You disconnect the battery then your radio will need reset and that is a pain sometimes. So pulling the fuse is the easiest thing to do. I don't think its motor mounts only because the rmps are changing and are low. If the motor was just shaking and rpms were correct then I would say motor mounts. Good luck with this. I hope when you reset the ecu its fixed. It worked for me after I disconnected the battery to install a HU and I didnt even need to. But o well.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^ good point about the rpms.

Let us know man, I'm really thinking this is your issue.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to try it now. I cleaned the maf after the hydrolock it was really really dirty. I read that it could not be functioning 100 percent but not bad enough to throw a cel.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to feel stupid, but my batter has nothing to do with it. And I'm starting to feel it in park just a tad
Old 03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Run some injector cleaner in your gas and check the battery cable connections Negative side to the chassis and motor to make sure they are clean and tight. Is there an Idle stop screw on the tC??? Also is your tail pipe clean or sooty?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just put some gumout cleaner in, i have the negative off right now to reset the ECU (easier for me), Ill check all the connections. My tailpipe isn't clean but it wasnt horrible.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been doing pointless driving to get the gumout through the tc, used about a quarter tank, reset on the ECU right now(will hook the negative ground back up tomorrow), and cleaned my MAF. If I have the time I was going to clean the throttle body. Hopefully this works, I'm getting mucho dinero from getting hit last night and I want to be able to pick up a turbo kit after next patrol. wanted to trade this sob in but it has 2 accidents and a hydrolock. im keeping her forever lol.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Let us know how it works. I personally like the fuse, its really easy, but its all good in the end.

Good luck with turbo kit, they are a lot of fun .
Old 03-06-2010, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm hoping its all it is, on the way home it stood pretty steady at 500 rpms. When i turn my wheel the power steering makes the stopping shake. I am thinking from my little front end accident that more than the bumper got messed up and maybe somethings shaking up there, will check the belts and everything. At max this just made me clean up the car a lot. Im excited to go turbo, im eye'in that greddy kit in the classifieds, I have lots of more research to do though!
Old 03-06-2010, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have a greddy kit. Send me a PM if you need to know anything specific, other the the M/T, since I'm an auto.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm auto too. this is win. Ill hit you up with a pm probably tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the most part, it looks good. It stays at probably 500-515 rpm in neutral or drive. Minimal shaking, more shaking when the A/C is on but I know cars get the shakes when the A/C is on. I cleaned the MAF, Reset ECU, gumout cleaner in full tank of gas. I am still going to check to see if I should replace the MAF and look at the O2 sensors and belts and make sure everything is good. If I am not throwing a CEL I wouldn't have any codes to check right?

Quick Reply: car shaking