Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Cat delete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Cat delete?

im getting a megan racins S pipe. and then i will have megan header+spipe and magnaflow cat back... the only stock pipeing in there is the 10" or so that is the 2nd cat... should i leave it, or get strait pipe put in there?

pros and cons of either route?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Might as well get the straight pipe and delete the second one...ur already no longer legal to pass emissions so might as well go the extra mile and get a lil extra power out of it.

Down side to deleting the second cat...ur polluting more then again i really dont have any room to talk
Old 04-21-2008, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

in FL we dont have emmisions testing, so thats not an issue... ive heard (on other cars) you lose some low end but gain highend power... or the other way, whatever... true or no?

i dont think i can legally have a shop remove the pipe though, did you know a guy, or did you buy piping somewhere?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Noics
SL Member

another option is to get a megan midpipe. im not a huge fan of megan but their midpipe seems to be decent quality. the welds look good and it holds up fine apparently. my buddy has one. i neame this as an option cuz i too have the magnaflow catback and its a slip on right after the second cat. the megan midpipe however is flanged to fit right up to the spipe. this would delete that second cat. we'll kill ozone together for our children rofl.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its true, u do lose a TINY bit of lowend...top end seems to increase more than u lose down low.

I was kinda strategic about how i got both deleted ...I went and had my custom exhaust done at a shop before i installed my turbo kit...the second cat got deleted because my first one (in the header) was still there and they didnt have a problem with it. Then two weeks later the turbo was installed and there went the primary cat because of the new manifold.

If a shop has a problem with it and no one else will touch it u could always put the stock header back on (i think everything should still fit) and then they may not have a problem with deleting the second one...then just put the race header back on.

my recomendation is asking them to make a bolt in test pipe setup...put flanges on the ends of the cat, the test pipe, and on the exhaust piping so that way u can swap em out whenever...then u can tell them it would only be for track events
Old 04-21-2008, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you can handle the smell and the lack of pull in the low end, go for the cat delete.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

found a shop to remove the cat for me, they just said it was a "cash only deal and my car is a track only race car" lol

ill get my s pipe installed friday and have them remove the cat on monday.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Can you gut the cats and throw in glasspacks? Might be a noob question. Sorry if it is... And would it help.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by orangesuburban
found a shop to remove the cat for me, they just said it was a "cash only deal and my car is a track only race car" lol

ill get my s pipe installed friday and have them remove the cat on monday.

lol nice
Old 04-22-2008, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Noics
SL Member

glasspacks are illegal. why even go that route? if ur gonna be illegal lets go all the way and just get sum straight thru unhindered flow
Old 04-22-2008, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AcrimoniousBear
glasspacks are illegal. why even go that route? if ur gonna be illegal lets go all the way and just get sum straight thru unhindered flow
X2...glass packs are about as useful as those fake blow off valves that people get to sound like they have a turbo...choose horsepower not ricepower
Old 04-22-2008, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SHDWtC
Originally Posted by AcrimoniousBear
X2...glass packs are about as useful as those fake blow off valves that people get to sound like they have a turbo...choose horsepower not ricepower
my dumbass friend that also has a stock tC except for TRD Exhaust and a TRD CAI both a waste of money IMO now, but anyway he thinks thats cool and that his car is faster than everything. Hes a tard