Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Catback vs Axleback and Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Catback vs Axleback and Noise?

I'm thinking about getting an new exhaust system again. I didn't like the TRD axelback b/c it was in my and my passenger's opinion too loud so I went back to stock.

I've narrowed it down to the Megan OE-RS and Greddy SP2 exhaust systems. I haven't heard these two in person so I'm not sure how they sound outside of youtube. Opinions?

Both of these come as a catback kit and axleback only. How much of a difference will there be in power and noise between the two systems? I'm also wondering what would happen if I add a s-pipe to the mix or am I already going too far?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those exhaust you are looking at are quiet, trd is no loud at all. if you want to go loud then go custom all the way.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the SP2 is very quiet. i have the Megan OE-RS and its quiet too, little louder than the SP2.

here's my setup:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QAJ4dEbjf44

that was with an injen CAI. it sounds even better with my HKS short ram.

also, the SP2 is axleback only, the Megan OE-RS you can get the full system which is midpipe and axleback, or you can buy just the axleback. S-pipe doesnt make it much louder (from what i experienced), just opens the system up more.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

True the TRD doesn't scream "LOUD" but it is more noise than I would like. I want something that comes in only when I'm pushing it, I drive a lot of city and the TRD reminds me of it's presense at every stop light.

tceeder,
I saw your YouTube videos and like the tone. Were those videos taken before or after you added the ginormous turbo resonator? I thought the Greddy did come as a catback. I did a search and came back with quite a few hits.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCeeder
the SP2 is very quiet. i have the Megan OE-RS and its quiet too, little louder than the SP2.
I really gotta see these in person from the YouTube vids I thought it was the other way around. The differences between cameras and distances and microphones really make it hard to tell how loud an exhaust really is.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uhh the trd is more noise than you want? then jus keep it stock. trd's pretty dang quiet man... if you want noise only when you push it, look into an intake. those growl when you get on it, but any time else sounds like stock.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man and TRD is like stock noise for me. well GL with getting a quiet one but i'd go with Greddy SP2 because it's abit more quieter than TRD and while stepping on it's not noticeable but it allows the exhaust to flow better than stock.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the vids were taken after everything was done, exhaust wise.
the turbo muffler is 18" or so, i also have an AR25 (14"). only thing i've changed since then is my intake.

greddy calls it cat-back because technically it is a catback, its after the catalytic converter. but you only get an axleback, no midpipe.

both the OE-RS and SP2 let you know they're there when you get on the gas. other than that they are both quiet. you'll be happy with either of the two IMHO.

since my intake change my car sounds more like a WRX than ever, very boxer engine-ish.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i see in your profile that you are supercharged, that makes it abit louder as well.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sp2 is awesome... Like aciddrop said, real nice and quiet normally. Can't hear it over my stereo. but when you step on it, its got a nice deep tone to it without being obnoxiously loud...
Old 05-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

If your looking for a quiet cat-back. go with the magnaflow. that's what I have in car. its really quiet and no one hardly knows I have an exhaust. go to the site magnaflow.com they give you two clips to hear how it sound on a Tc
Old 05-14-2008, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Borla is another exhaust that is quiet as long as you don't change any of the other pipes then it'll stay as quiet as it can be. magnaflow is just like the TRD except it has a different growl to it and sounds cleaner too. i'd recommend one of these from the bottom.
Borla
Greddy SP2
Megan OE-RS
Old 05-14-2008, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the SP2 is only an axleback it's pretty expensive ~$500 huh? I think the Megan and Magnaflow is ~$500 with midpipe? Does anyone know of dyno sheets for the SP2 / Megan?
Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The sp2 has a dyno chart here. It ads like 6whp which is pretty nice for an axelback. Check it out https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80070...
Old 05-14-2008, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by robtheqb2003
The sp2 has a dyno chart here. It ads like 6whp which is pretty nice for an axelback. Check it out https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80070...
Indeed. That is a very decent increase. I wonder if a midpipe would make a difference they're running the test with the axleback only.

I'm still torn over what would be the best but here is my attempt to group the qualities of each.

Greddy:
+dynoed 5-6hp/tq
+quiet
-no midpipe
-expensive (~500 w/o midpipe)

Magnaflow:
+dynoed 5-6hp/tq
+midpipe incld
-less quiet (as loud as TRD)

Megan:
+quiet
+midpipe incld
-no dyno
+/-louder than greddy less than magnaflow
Old 05-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

believe me that magnaflow is not as loud as the TRD. my boy had the TRD and he switch to the Magnaflow. the only thing is, if your going to add any header, or s-pipe. you will need a resonator, csuse that's when it gets really loud
Old 05-24-2008, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just wanted to update the thread to let everyone know I went with the Megan OE-RS Axleback (for now). I'm doing midpipe seperately b/c I wanted to do it in stages to make sure I don't go too loud.

This exhaust is exactly what I was looking for. *Low* rumble at 1-2k, a air whooshing sound like a turbo (could be my supercharger) at WOT, and quieter than the engine / tires at HWY.

I charted out the ones I listened to in person below:
Code:
<Stock------------------------------Loudest>
              ^-Megan         ^-TRD
                  ^-Precision Muffler
                    ^-Borla (/w custom pipe)
Old 05-25-2008, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

you can get a catback exhaust system thats really quiet. if everything else is stock its guna depend on the axel back and the resonator itself. usually people weld on aftermarket resonators which will give you that deep and quiet tone.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A quiet catback is the goal. Right now I'm quiet happy with the sound coming from the Megan axleback. I'm ok with going louder just not back to the TRD's level. As long as I keep the header+spipe on I should be ok. Are there different brands of midpipe out there and anything to look out for?
Old 05-26-2008, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow now it's too quiet for you? this is pretty rediculous because you want it really quiet now abit louder...make up your mind.

Quick Reply: Catback vs Axleback and Noise?