Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Check Engine issues post installation of K&N Typhoon CAI

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Check Engine issues post installation of K&N Typhoon CAI

I have been having some Check engine issue since I installed the K&N Typhoon Cool Air Intake (CAI). ANyone had probelms with this system?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mines on ... thanks to DC sports headers... but i dont think K&N should throw one
Old 04-23-2006, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you disconnect the battery, let it sit, then reconnect and let the car idol for 15 minutes? Try that.
Is the car acting funny? I have the injen intake. It went in fine the first time with no problems. Disconnected it to fix a mount (I've heard that the k&n has had the same problem with breaking the mount by the battery too) and had check engine issuses. Wouldn't rev. Took it to the dealer and they had to replace the map, o2, and cpu. Hope that isn't the case for you.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tCscotty
Did you disconnect the battery, let it sit, then reconnect and let the car idol for 15 minutes? Try that.
Is the car acting funny? I have the injen intake. It went in fine the first time with no problems. Disconnected it to fix a mount (I've heard that the k&n has had the same problem with breaking the mount by the battery too) and had check engine issuses. Wouldn't rev. Took it to the dealer and they had to replace the map, o2, and cpu. Hope that isn't the case for you.

Oh yes, I have been to the dealer twice, have disconnected a few times. It would work for a while each time, then ussually during Idele it would come back on. I changed out the MAS (O2 intake sensor $145) and after about a day the check engine light went away for a week. Now it is back. From the way it acts to me it is the CPU, do I need a high performace profile or CPU change / upgrade? Seems like it is a CPU failure or short coming though; like it can not react to the new wider range / demanding range for air fuel mixture since I opened up the intake and exhaust. Toyota does not want to help out. I guess I can take it to a high performance shop and spend some more money. How much was the new CPU (if you don;t mind my asking)???
Old 04-23-2006, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tCscotty

Thank you for responding (forgot to mention that!)
Old 04-23-2006, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by soGone
Mines on ... thanks to DC sports headers... but i dont think K&N should throw one
"DC SPorts Headers" ? is that a header or a high performance shop in town??? (I'm in Chandler also) I think it is a CPU problem from teh way it acts, I need to talk with some one that plays with these things I guess/ like a hi-performance place.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greid
"DC SPorts Headers" ? is that a header or a high performance shop in town??? (I'm in Chandler also) I think it is a CPU problem from teh way it acts, I need to talk with some one that plays with these things I guess/ like a hi-performance place.
No this is not a shop. soGone was referring to his actual header which is a DC Sports header. I have the K&N CAI and have never had the CEL come on for that. Is your MAS on right? Did you connect all the harnesses back up? Just a few things you might want to check.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:02 AM
rj
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by phoenixtc
Originally Posted by Greid
No this is not a shop. soGone was referring to his actual header which is a DC Sports header. I have the K&N CAI and have never had the CEL come on for that. Is your MAS on right? Did you connect all the harnesses back up? Just a few things you might want to check.
Make sure that sensor is plugged in good and tight.
Is it seated properly.. did you hook up the vent bypass hose for the valve cover and are your clamps tight?

I had an issue with one of my clamp being loose.
You probally have checked.. rechecked this, we are throwin it out there for you.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:03 AM
rj
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh and it helps to know which ride.. xA.. xB tC?

I have a Typhoon on both my wifes xA and my xB and have had no issues.. I did the install so fill us in with a wee bit more information and lets see if we can knock this issue out for ya.

Other thing is this might sound dumb. is that sensor sitting in there the right way?
Old 04-23-2006, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yes, I have been to the dealer twice, have disconnected a few times. It would work for a while each time, then ussually during Idele it would come back on. I changed out the MAS (O2 intake sensor $145) and after about a day the check engine light went away for a week. Now it is back. From the way it acts to me it is the CPU, do I need a high performace profile or CPU change / upgrade? Seems like it is a CPU failure or short coming though; like it can not react to the new wider range / demanding range for air fuel mixture since I opened up the intake and exhaust. Toyota does not want to help out. I guess I can take it to a high performance shop and spend some more money. How much was the new CPU (if you don;t mind my asking)???

Maybe you should try another dealership. I had it all replaced under warranty. The intake was on for like 6 months with out any problems. They knew I had it on for awhile, because it has been in there for the free oil changes. Then as soon as I fixed my bracket it all happened. They talked to toyota techs and they said to replace cpu. After they replaced everything else. Its been a few month now and I have had no problems. That really sucks that you had to pay out of pocket. I hope you can get it fixed without paying more.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rj
Oh and it helps to know which ride.. xA.. xB tC?

I have a Typhoon on both my wifes xA and my xB and have had no issues.. I did the install so fill us in with a wee bit more information and lets see if we can knock this issue out for ya.

Other thing is this might sound dumb. is that sensor sitting in there the right way?
Is the little hole where the sensor goes OK? Maybe leaking there. I also wonder if the clamps and hose to the throttle body may be leaking. Seems like that would give a MAF error because more air is getting in than is being sensed.

Little things are easy to miss. I actually took mine to the dealer for a CEL a couple weeks ago. It was the stupid gas cap which I had checked. Now i crank it on so hard i'm afraid of stripping the threads.