Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Chirping 2nd and 3rd gear!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

new tires have oils and stuff like that on the outside, so it takes like 500 miles for them all to wear off, so during that 500 mile period you don't get as good of traction as you will after. this may have something to do with it.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCizzler
Its not the how fast a car is, its the quality tires and how fast you can shift. I could chirp the tires in first and second on my old friends 88' golf. It had about 60 ponies for real, it was so slow. it topped out at about 60-65 mph and i could still chirp em once or twice
Yeah, you can probably make any car chirp but you need a faster car in order to do it consistently.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do you mean by consistently? If you can make ANY car do it, that seems pretty consistent to me. Most people don't wanna do it consistently. Not trying to pick a fight or anything, just trying to understand your logic. As far as i always understood, when you lack traction (chirping) it was always the tires. They are the ONLY thing that has anything to do with traction because they are the only thing that touches the ground.

And i understand what your saying about the tC, it's not all that fast, just a little quick (which is even debatable) but i still believe that it's 99% in the tires, and 1% the car/clutch... For instance, If your clutch is bad, you ain't chirpin **** even if you dump the clutch
Old 02-16-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

^^ Yup, tires. More agressive (soft, sticky) tires don't exactly "chirp" so much as "chuff."
Old 02-16-2007, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ By "consistent", I am talking about being able to chirp anytime you want regardless of the tire's condition.

Horsepower/Torque = Quick acceleration -> Shift Change + Wheel spin = Tires chirp.

Obviously, the TC isn't known for being fast or quick (No, 15's is not quick) which explains why blackonblacktc is having a hard time chirpin his car. Air pressure and wheel weight also has a lot to do with it. Lighter wheels and low inflated tires chirp more than fully inflated tires and heavy wheels. So it's more like 30% tires, 10% air pressure, 10% wheel weight, 5% differential, 45% power.

If you strongly believe that it has everything to do with the tires, try making a TC chirp with 20" wheels and brand new tires then tell me it's 99% tires. You will probably break an axle from trying...
Old 02-16-2007, 11:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stillmatic
^^ By "consistent", I am talking about being able to chirp anytime you want regardless of the tire's condition.

Horsepower/Torque = Quick acceleration -> Shift Change + Wheel spin = Tires chirp.

Obviously, the TC isn't known for being fast or quick (No, 15's is not quick) which explains why blackonblacktc is having a hard time chirpin his car. Air pressure and wheel weight also has a lot to do with it. Lighter wheels and low inflated tires chirp more than fully inflated tires and heavy wheels. So it's more like 30% tires, 10% air pressure, 10% wheel weight, 5% differential, 45% power.

If you strongly believe that it has everything to do with the tires, try making a TC chirp with 20" wheels and brand new tires then tell me it's 99% tires. You will probably break an axle from trying...

Pretty good point!! BUT, U just said it yourself... and brand new tires!!! Put some sh1tty ones on, even 20's, and you'll chirp all day
Old 02-16-2007, 11:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This really isn't going anywhere so let's just agree to disagree, ... peace out!
Old 02-16-2007, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well is it a good thing if ur spinnin thru 1st 2nd and some of 3rd???.....lol
Old 02-16-2007, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No it's not. I can see this getting nasty so i'm just gonna agree to disagree like i previously said, and leave it at that. Hope i helped someone somewhere along the line. I will continue to watch this thread but will probably no longer post in it. I'm not a **** starter, and i can see it going that way. Later
Old 02-16-2007, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ez dude......it was just a joke......^^...geesh weres ur early humor @ this mornin ....ThankGodItsFriday!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its cool, im not upset or anything.TGIF FTW!!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The chirp comes from the tire spinning. No news there. The wheel spins when you apply more rotational force to the wheel than the tire ground patch has the ability to absorb. (may not be the correct physics terms) This force can be applied several ways. One is tons of power. I had a Firebird once that would spin the wheels at 35mph in fourth gear simply by pressing the gas pedal. The tires could not absorb that much power. The other way is to get the rpms at a substatntially higher level than required for the veloscity of the vehicle and the gear selected. When you drop the clutch someting hast to give. If you are lucky it is the tire and you get a chirp. If not you get to fix a broken axle or some other component. Either way there is greater than normal wear on the clutch.

There are several combinations of things that could cause you to not be able to get a chirp when you shift. One is the tires. The more sticky the compound is the harder it will be to spin. Temperature is another. Tires are not as sticky in cold weather as in hot. They will heat up after you drive some but it will still make a difference. The temp also contributes to the output of the engine. Cold air makes more power than warm air due to the density. Another is the speed of the vehicle when you shift. The road surface will be a factor. The clutch spring tension will weaken slightly over the life of the clutch. As the springs get weaker the clutch will be able to slip slightly. You would never notice this under normal driving but it would show up during hard shifting. The speed at which youshift has nothing to do with chirping. You can slowly change from 1st to 2nd, rev the engine and drop the clutch and you will get a chirp. Your 1/4 mile times will suck but you can chirp.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCizzler
Pretty good point!! BUT, U just said it yourself... and brand new tires!!! Put some sh1tty ones on, even 20's, and you'll chirp all day

LOL, I don't think you read my post correctly. I was telling you to try making a TC chirp with 20" wheels and "brand new tires" to see if you could actually chirp them. I'm trying to say chirpin has a lot more to do than just 99% tires. Horsepower and what flyerI has stated also comes into factor. And no, I'm not here to start a fight. It wasn't even anywhere near that point. I just see a lot of car newbie information or should I say misinformation on this forum and I don't want people to be confused.