Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

civic si engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default civic si engine

does anyone know if you can put a civic si engine in a tc? sorry of this is a stupid question
Old 01-02-2006, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just want to ask why would you want to? Yes with enough time and money and skill any motor can be put in any car. Idealy for the price of the motor and the tc you might as well buy an evo or wrx. Sorry for a kind of negative answer but its just my opinion.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wellll i kind of wrecked my car so i was just wondering because of tht i might have to get some new things...
Old 01-02-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy the Civic and save the money. Everything would be custom and cost a lot. You could get a far nicer car for that price. A better bet would be putting the 1.8 I think from the Celica with like 180hp but that would probably still be a ton of work and expensive. I dont think it would be much easier if at all though.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

puting an si engine in a tc would just make it go much slower.
I would be more interested in puting a tC engine in an SI

unless your talking about the new SI the whole time...
Old 01-03-2006, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want to start playing with engine swaps INTO a tC, I wouldn't mess around with anything honda.

Why? Typically low torque, makes a car not too fun to drive. The s2K motor might be interesting to stick in, but good f'ing luck.

Your best bet... Try to see if you could stick a 1MZ-FE, 3.0 V6 from the Camry/Avalon. 200hp/200tq. Might throw your weight balance off a bit, but if the 5spd we have is the same as the camry 5spd, it should work (one of the mid 90's camry's had the v6 5-speed option.) Space might be an issue, though, and you'd have the typical ECU/wiring issues.

Make for a sick car, and relativley less painful than trying to stick a honda motor in there. The 2ZZ, while having its advantages, isn't a good motor for spirited daily driving.

If you're crazy, try a new 2MZ-FE. 268 ponies. My mom's new avalon hauls ___ for its size.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your best bet... Try to see if you could stick a 1MZ-FE, 3.0 V6 from the Camry/Avalon. 200hp/200tq. Might throw your weight balance off a bit, but if the 5spd we have is the same as the camry 5spd, it should work (one of the mid 90's camry's had the v6 5-speed option.) Space might be an issue, though, and you'd have the typical ECU/wiring issues.
This is probably what I would try if I wanted to do a swap into a tC. Believe it or not, several MR2 owners have completed this swap into the AW11 and SW20 with some interesting results. There is even a supercharger for that motor, so it has potential beyond the initial swap as well.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not really... I don't think there would be much room for anything else with a 1MZ. Maybe.. but I doubt it.

You know what I wanna see? I wanna see an MR conversion - replace the rear seats with a 2JZ.

Tee hee.

Anyways, if you're really serious about a 1MZ swap - Kudos! It'd be the first tC engine swap here I bet. I'd love to see a 1MZ swap.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how bout twin 1nz's!!
Old 01-03-2006, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Screw it, go 13B-REW, 3mm carbon ceramic apex seals, mild bridge port, non sequential turbos, Motec M4, the works (anybody?).

Of course you'd need a RWD conversion.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no rotor no motor.....was once a rotaholic myself...2 bad the rx8 had to be ___ and I needed a new car to go to school with...bring back the old school style rotaries!! for around 20k a rotary engine powered car with around 180 hp would be insane and for sure it would be rwd
Old 01-03-2006, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LaMbO_tC
no rotor no motor.....was once a rotaholic myself...2 bad the rx8 had to be ___ and I needed a new car to go to school with...bring back the old school style rotaries!! for around 20k a rotary engine powered car with around 180 hp would be insane and for sure it would be rwd
Good god, I've made so many rotary comments around here and finally a hook!

(Been working with fc's and fd's for about 3 years now. NJ RX7 Club! I'll be starting a 3rd gen build of my own in about a year. Was going to start this year but I bought a tC. Still between the Pettit built 13B plant , above setup, or a Hayes 20B 3-rotor. Goal is 560 whp on the 1.3 liter or 680 whp on the 2.0 liter. Gotta love 190mph supercars for under 40 grand.)
Old 01-03-2006, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i just want to repeat the fact that civic si engine into a tC is a big no no b/c I believe our VVT-I tC engine has more potential than the Si (even the newer 200hp si has only like 145lb of torque, PATHETIC!) I would like to see a V6 VVT-I engine into the tC tho.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by miraclecreator
well, i just want to repeat the fact that civic si engine into a tC is a big no no b/c I believe our VVT-I tC engine has more potential than the Si (even the newer 200hp si has only like 145lb of torque, PATHETIC!) I would like to see a V6 VVT-I engine into the tC tho.

Which... describes a 1MZ.

The swap should be possible. The 1MZ is a pretty compact V6. I have heard about the MR2 swaps, and some tercel swaps as well. They all haul ___.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

k20z will fit, its a 2.0 vs the 2.4. Just have to change a few things including motor mounts. As for the guy who said it will make it slower, do you know what you are talking about? Civic Si is faster than the tC, you would loose tq but theres much more aftermarket for the k series than there is the 2az. Much more, and it would take a few years for the 2az to catch up as far as whats out there.

So, if you want to have some more tq get the K20a instead of the K20z, buy the hks turbo kit coming out and you will have 350whp and 289tq. Of course, build the motor some to put this out safely, but there you.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

money makes the world go round

and wonders come to life
Old 01-03-2006, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
k20z will fit, its a 2.0 vs the 2.4. Just have to change a few things including motor mounts. As for the guy who said it will make it slower, do you know what you are talking about? Civic Si is faster than the tC, you would loose tq but theres much more aftermarket for the k series than there is the 2az. Much more, and it would take a few years for the 2az to catch up as far as whats out there.

So, if you want to have some more tq get the K20a instead of the K20z, buy the hks turbo kit coming out and you will have 350whp and 289tq. Of course, build the motor some to put this out safely, but there you.
what am i talking about?? the only si faster than the tC stock is the new one and thats by like .1 sec. The si's only come close to being as fast as the tC because they are so light, but otherwize their motors are weaker. The older Si's have as much hp but much less torque, so your planning to put a less powerful engine in a tC? Even the new si's have less torque. THEY ARE LIGHTER THATS WHY THEY GO AS FAST AS THEY DO. f'n retard

SUU SUSUSUS CYAAAAAAAAAA
Old 01-03-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sensay
Originally Posted by killerxromances

what am i talking about?? the only si faster than the tC stock is the new one and thats by like .1 sec. The si's only come close to being as fast as the tC because they are so light, but otherwize their motors are weaker. The older Si's have as much hp but much less torque, so your planning to put a less powerful engine in a tC? Even the new si's have less torque. THEY ARE LIGHTER THATS WHY THEY GO AS FAST AS THEY DO. f'n retard

SUU SUSUSUS CYAAAAAAAAAA
Okay, do you know anything about honda? For instance, 00' Si weighed less than the new one, and previous hatchback model weighted roughly the same. Previous to 00' they were also lighter with less hp than the new ones. The Si's have never had 197hp until now, the K20z is the first K series to be put in the factory for the Si. K20z is not weaker, they can handle a ton of whp and for n/a builds, the k20z will beat the 2az any day. Same with the K20a and K20a2. How is it even remotely weaker? It pumps out much more whp per liter even stock vs. the 2az. The new Si is one of the heavier Si's thats been put on the market, but its also much more powerful. .1 second? Who the hell are you going by? Two magizines now have tested the Si to the Trd t/C which included trd springs and supercharger. Si won 1/4, tC won 1/8th mile. Si also out handled at high speeds to the tC. Talk about build ups, the Si is a perfect base for it. Overall, Si is much more of a performance car than the tC is. Hands down. So yeah, i'm a retard.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, and for the record of your "lighter" come back, the Si and tC has less than 200lbs in difference between them.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow i was talking about the the si's prior to the one that just now came out. not sure if you knew but the 2001-2004 SI's all had K20s in them, not just the new one. Besides i think your just made bout the "Dont be offended but" thread ahahahahhaaaaa
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...asc&&start=100

and the 06 SI beat a trd supercharged tC in the 1/4 mile WTF are you Talking ABOUT!
supercharged tC owners freaquently get in the low 14's, while the SI gets a 15.1 1/4 MILE

and the 0-60 time is .2 sec quicker than the tC at 7.2 sec
so yeah get off that crack pipe and take that squirell out of your a** because ill take an rsx type S over that POS anyday

SUSUSUSUS SUSUSUSUS SUSUSUS S CYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: civic si engine