Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Clutch Chatter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Clutch Chatter?

Ok I have a noise that recently developed about 1500 miles ago. I believe it's reffered to as "clutch chatter". At idle or when driving I hear this noise that sounds like birds chirping or a squeaky belt, but when I rest my foot on the clutch it goes away. Is this bad? Did I do something to cause this? Am I going to need to replace my clutch? Please help! Thanks guys! :D
Old 10-09-2006, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is usually the sign of a weak or failing clutch. Most of the time when you hear this chatter it is because the clutch disk is wearing out and getting weaker. There really isn't any danger or anything to worry about, but you need to keep in mind that your clutch is probably on it's way out and will need to think about a replacement at some point.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I hear the squeaky noises it's when I depress the clutch. Of course, I only here this when the windows are down and not much noised around. Is that my clutch wearing out too?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by superscionik
When I hear the squeaky noises it's when I depress the clutch. Of course, I only here this when the windows are down and not much noised around. Is that my clutch wearing out too?
Ive heard that smae damn squek since i bought my car. theres a little spring behind the clutch pedal. i think its that.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hPower
This is usually the sign of a weak or failing clutch. Most of the time when you hear this chatter it is because the clutch disk is wearing out and getting weaker. There really isn't any danger or anything to worry about, but you need to keep in mind that your clutch is probably on it's way out and will need to think about a replacement at some point.
Ok, so I prob. still have some time before it goes so I can research a good clutch/flywheel combo. Any suggestions?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

No clutch chatter is cause by "hotspots on the flywheel itself when you engage the clutch ie. letting the clutch out. You will feel the feed back in the peddle itself.
"IF" you are hearing a noise whatever it is, and you press on the clutch slightly and it goes away, it could probably be the throw out bearing.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:56 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Sounds like the throw out bearing is bad. Being that it goes away when you step on the clutch, pretty much narrows it down to that. Clutch Chatter refers to how it engages. Usually shutter, excess vibration, etc is refered to as chatter.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive heard that smae damn squek since i bought my car. theres a little spring behind the clutch pedal. i think its that.
It does sound like a spring squeaking noise. Maybe you're right.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Prototype_xB
Sounds like the throw out bearing is bad. Being that it goes away when you step on the clutch, pretty much narrows it down to that. Clutch Chatter refers to how it engages. Usually shutter, excess vibration, etc is refered to as chatter.
Is this bad? Do I need to worry about having to replace the clutch soon? Did I cause this?