Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

clutch feels funny, help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

Default clutch feels funny, help.

well after 32500 miles i think i have come across the first mechanical issue with my 05. I noticed a few weeks ago that when i push in the clutch with the car off i hear a squeaking noise. now tonight i felt like the clutch was feeling kinda resistant, almost like the line isnt getting enough pressure but for some reason i think the clutch is electronic, am i right? anyway i am actually changing out my tranny fluid next weekend and I am thinking this will solve it, just want to ask the almight gear heads here on SL.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

well i think our clutch is hydraulic driven.....and i'm pretty sure they recommend on semi-sporty cars to replace the clutch every 2 years.....if you're an 05, its about time to invest in a new clutch....its just one of these maintenance things you have to do....the reason it feels so funny now, is probably caused its worn down so much.....
Old 09-14-2006, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

im not thinking its the actual clutch that is going bad, it seems to have alot of bite still left in it and i have no slippage what so ever. next summer i will be buying a new clutch though.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go get it checked out. mine squeaked for a while within a few months of when i got it. turned out to be a cracked bushing (or something) in the clutch pedal. it was covered under warranty so i didnt have to pay anything. recently it started to squeak a little bit again, had it checked out again, and they said everything was fine, just needed a little lube. it never felt different tho, just squeaked.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by malibuboy54
well i think our clutch is hydraulic driven.....and i'm pretty sure they recommend on semi-sporty cars to replace the clutch every 2 years.....if you're an 05, its about time to invest in a new clutch....its just one of these maintenance things you have to do....the reason it feels so funny now, is probably caused its worn down so much.....
2 years? thats a little excessive. most clutches are meant to last the life of the car or at least 80k+ if you use it properly.

take it into the dealer, thats what you have a warranty for
Old 09-14-2006, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

seeing as we're on issues with the clutch, i guess that this would be a good place to add this in.

ever since i bought my car, my clutch has always felt soft compared to the other tC's that i have driven. it's difficult to feel the engagement point compared to others. the clutch isn't slipping, and it still bites, but the pedal just feels weird cmpared to others. is this something i should be worrying about?
Old 09-14-2006, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you've an 07? Mine feels lighter than my friend's '06 which feels lighter than another's '05. Who knows.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

mine's an 06. it's the lightest tC clutch i've felt, and i've driven all 3 years.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Seven City Scions
SL Member

watching... been having some issues with my clutch also..
every now andt hen it'll squeak...got it checked out once... all they did was lube it.. couple of days later it came back... I setup an appt, but by the time my appt there were no more squeaks... so far I hav 27K on mine... got my tranny fluid changed 3K ago...
Old 09-14-2006, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

every 2 years! who says that [becides mabye transmission shops]
Old 09-14-2006, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

yea i will be callin the dealer tomorrow and figure out whats up.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 years....rofl.

i guess there's a first time to hear everything.

i bet you burned out a clutch when you were 16 and a tranny shop told you that.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member

My friend's 05Scion at 25k clutch feels worn out already and is squeaking too. Squeaks goes away and comes back sometimes. I suggested put some WD40 on it because my 06 with 12k was screaming everytime i push down on the clutch, and that helped.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

wait where did you spray the wd40......i have bearing grease that i will use but just curious where you put it at.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wd40 can be awful if you use it in the wrong place. it is petroleum based and will dry out/erode rubber grommets. use it with caution.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've noticed that my tC is also squeaking. it's only when i push the clutch pedal in slowly, i hear a distinct squeak coming from the linkage in the tranny.
i have 16k miles
i'm sure it's been doing this for a while, because i only noticed it because i was in the mcdonalds drivethru and i heard the sound bouncing of the wall close by. normally i press in the clutch quickly, so it doesn't make a sound.

i sprayed the exposed linkage where the hydraulic cylinder meets up next to the throw out fork(?) with some silicone spray, but it didn't help.

also, looks like you can undo the grommet that covers the fork going into the tranny. i haven't sprayed anything in there, but it's got plenty of space for some oil to be sprayed in there.

i really don't want to drive 30 mins to the deal to have them spray something in there...and then they will give me a hassle about my short shifter etc.

ideas?

edit: after about 20 mins, i tried my clutch again...it no longer squeaked. i guess i had to wait for the silicone spray to penetrate. now lets see how long it lasts before i get the squeak back. i guess i could always pack it with grease...
Old 09-18-2006, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nevermind, the squeak came back this morning. i think it had more to do with realive humidty and temperature more than anything over the oil working....
Old 09-18-2006, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go get it checked out at toyota.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow yea, i didnt notice how loud my squeak was until recently, had the windows rolled down, and stopped next to some parked cars. and as i clutched in and out, the squeak was pretty darn loud....guess i will have to get it checked out (again) the next time i'm at the dealer again.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by highhobbiescom
go get it checked out at toyota.
see thats the problem...it's one of those typical things where it will annoy the hell out of me, but as soon as i pull the car into the dealers garage, the problem will disappear

today it didn't make any squeak, no matter how slow i pushed the clutch pedal in. i probably has to do with temperature and humidity etc

Quick Reply: clutch feels funny, help.