Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Comp Clutch: 2nd Time Breaking in under 1 Year and 1 Month!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Comp Clutch: 2nd Time Breaking in under 1 Year and 1 Month!

Updated:... clutch blew again on an NA CAR BABY DRIVING!! update this when i can im working on the car right now... the gear is stuck and car isn't moving... car is being toed and torn down as we speak!

Comp Clutch: The Old vs The New my massacre and solution thread

So after about 12k-15k miles of pure head ache and constant trouble shooting and research online and Q&A sessions with a few Toyota and also ASE Techs I know at big perf. companies.
I've come the the conclusion my CC Stage 4 clutch was not performing and acting the way it "should be" acting.
Symptoms I had were as followed:

- Pressure plate fade : has gotten progressively softer and softer as I've used it even after 3k miles it felt blah
- has slipped on me on 2nd gear and in first a few times cold and warm running runs
- the TOB appears to chatter after the 2k mile mark intensely sometimes at Neutral when no gear is engaged in which i press it down and the chatter goes away but then returns after a while
- the pressure plate feel has never been consistent : some days its strong and other days its super soft
- sometimes the engagement feels sloppy.. softer then even an OEM clutch which even till the end of my oem on it still grabbed and engaged decently
- sometimes going into another gear it feels like its not even grabbing sorta like driving an xA.. its grabbed but u don't feel ____ when it does u just know your moving which is the only positive lol

I've had to also numerous times adjust the pedal engagement to combat some of the issues... even recently i had the clutch not let me get into gear while the car was on one time and i had to adjust the engagement point waaaaay high in order to keep driving off and continue with my day.

I've had the clutch on for over 12k miles.. all these things started roughly after the break in period which i gave it to 1200 miles just as a precaution of easy driving

That's pretty much summed up my experience for the clutchf or the last 12 months daily of this routine and feeling.. finally it had gotten me so irritated especially after the last episode i had had enough and had contact Paul from Dezod whom which I had bought the original parts from.

After a small discussion on all the matters he had notified me that CC could have provided him with a defective clutch and that certain revisions were made by CC since 8 months ago so anyone with this clutch from then on forward should have the new clutch
(pending overstock and storage and vendors of course), and that only clutches falling under the 8 month period and after "might" fall under warranty from CC...

So after i talked to Paul for a few days and him calling CC Dezod had can get me a "replacement at a discounted cost".... which was perfect...

So after mulling it over I said OK no prob and the clutch was sent out to me in a few days...

Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  109.2 KB

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  79.4 KB

Here are pics of the old clutch and as u can see.. a lot of the problems i was having can clearly be resulted in what appears to be a failed clutch disc. I had no glazing (yay for me and a proper break in and the pressure plate on the grb side looked good and so did my flywheel)

Basically somewhere along the line the springs decided to say bye bye and material holding the springs in wasn't up to par...

Now, I track and race, but i never launch aggressively or anytime over 3k rpms or very rarely power shift.. especially since I had just gotten the clutch and it was summer time and i was doing most of my mileage on the highway for trips.
How this happen on a sub 200 whp/tq car I have no clue. But point blank it should not have happen especially on a Stage 4 clutch.

Everything was installed correctly (I've done so many clutch swaps on this car already I can do them blind now) and even from many years of myself racing, building cars and motors have never seen a disc fail on a under rated powered car.
Only cars exceeding the rating of this clutch would this probably happening or some kind of extreme drop on the clutch at 6rpms i can understand.. but at that point even then that's something i would never do on a heavy butt car.

So here's my take on the new clutch...

Initial appearance:
From basic appearance i can clearly see the pressure plate design has been changed and also the clutch disc uses new thicker materials to hold the springs in place both on the disc itself and the surrounding shrouds on the springs which was a relief to me.
The TOB also looks different and beefier then the previous one i had installed which after 15k miles had some play in it.

Performance thus far after 500 miles:

From basic use so far i can tell the clutch pressure plate feel has been more consistent then before. I did have to adjust the pedal again to get the engagement point correct (halfway up the full throw of the pedal)... I did notice engagement is very smooth on this clutch.. much much smoother then the original Stage 4 i had which grabbed so hard i would often stall at a light and often performed more like a unsprung disc rather then a spring disc... Engagements between gears are extremely smoother then before now (the sprung design is working) and going from 1st to 5th is very very smooth.. almost feels like an OEM clutch interns of the way it grabs but has some minor bite to it. I also have not had any chatter or funky noises like the previous clutch (so far) but I guess i will leave that to when the break in period is done and I get a few track sessions under my belt with this new one... engagement in 1st gear is probably its hardest bite.. but its very smooth compared to the original Stage 4.. i often just blip the throttle at about 1500 rpms and slide the clutch out and it smoothly engages sometimes with a hard bit at the end.. kinda like a chatter but its very quick and not as harsh as my old stage 4 (i kind miss that hard butt grab but oh well).

So after 500 miles the clutch is holding up and performing well.. and being consistent... i'll wait to finish a full review once i get about 2k miles on it which will be probably another month.. but so far so good.. very OEM feel but with a decent grab.

I'd like to thanks Comp Clutch for sending me out a new one and honoring the warranty on it and also Paul Dezod for making it happen and hearing me out on this.. my love for Comp Clutch has almost be fully restored to 100%
but so far so good again!! this new design for the clutch is much improved and I'd recommend it for anyone wanting a nice upgrade.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-06-2020 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Thanks for posting Pete!

Indeed the new piece is totally different animal with new pressure plate, bearing and disc.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

im haveing the same problems bro im switching to ACT F CC
Old 09-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by weezyfbayba
im haveing the same problems bro im switching to ACT F CC
CC recognized their issues and made corrections with the new versions of their clutches.

ACT had their fair share of problems with this platform as well. They went back to the drawing board and came back with new parts too.

It's how engineering gets more refined and a better product is born.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea well guess what... this NEW IMPROVED clutch just failed on me!!!!!! not even 2k miles OF BABY DRIVING on it....

this time it was the throw out bearing which failed (ALMOST SURE OF IT) and i got stuck in the middle of opa-locka at 1am. which in lamens terms means i got stuck in compton on the east side wearing blood cloths in a crip hood....

OH YOU BETTER BELIEVE IM NOT HAPPY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! 2ND TIME IN LESS THEN 2 YEARS COMP CLUTCH HAS GIVEN ME GARBAGE PARTS....

GET READY BECAUSE RIGHT NOW IM FUMING... AND ALL HELL IS GOING TO BREAK LOOSE WHEN I DIAGNOSE MORE INTO THIS.... THANKS COMP CLUTCH... U SUCK!
Old 10-11-2009, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres no break in period on that clutch btw
Old 10-11-2009, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

oh damn....again...that sucks bro...pics mang...lots of em
Old 10-11-2009, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW!!
That sucks so bad!!
I just installed my new version stage 4 now im worried big time!!

There is no break in period for this clutch? I thought I read a paper that said different
Old 10-11-2009, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

damn bro.. post up pics.. thats some horrible experience with cc
Old 10-12-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HERES SOME FREAKING INPUT SO FAR..... heres that awesome new throw out bearing design competition clutch made!!!! BTW i need a new clutch fork because the throw out bearing failed and cause the fork to hit the pressure plate!!!!!... so far the bill is a little over 110$ bucks on this repair as of right now... lets see if i can find more damage!

THANKS COMP CLUTCH!!!!!!!! MORE TO COME!

Name:  PART951255374705548.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  10.1 KB
Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

hey pete you got more shots of it from different views and out of the tranny?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
hey pete you got more shots of it from different views and out of the tranny?
ill try man.. right now in at a stage of repair and get driving.. i cant have down.. but ill have plenty of pics of the fork and TOB when i can
Old 10-12-2009, 09:18 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

WTF?! I would be furious!!

Good luck pete.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you contacted anyone from CC? Im just interested in what they would tell you. Would they take full resposibility for it?? (I hope so) But just wondering.

Also now this CC has failed you twice. What clutch did you go with to put back in for your setup?
Old 10-12-2009, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the first one failed because of the discs... the second failed because of the TOB... i just looked over the car now and the clutch looks fine.. im taking it off to further inspect it, resurface the flywheel and pick up new mt90 and misc crap. right now there is no decision made to reuse the clutch until further inspection. if the clutch it ok then the OEM tob from toyota will be used and that should be it.. if i have to order a new clutch im going with excedy or cm ... im dont with CC. and ill be passing my opinions and findings on every forum they are on and any other major forum i find.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

how are the splines on your input shaft? are they still alright?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

clutchmaster's stage 3 clutch FTW!!!! (knocks on wood) i've had mine for 2 years now no problems so far. but i am using a competition clutch flywheel from dezod. still good though!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

DUDE!!!!!!!! I just had the same thing happen to my CC stage 4!! I assume I have the older design as I have had it for a while. What's really funny is that I had it for a while on boost and it's never had a problem. But when I took the turbo off to sell and have been driving NA it fails on me. Same thing...one of the springs popped out of the clutch disc. I thought it was the TOB at first until my inspection revealed one of the springs just free balling it between the clutch disc and pressure plate.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
DUDE!!!!!!!! I just had the same thing happen to my CC stage 4!! I assume I have the older design as I have had it for a while. What's really funny is that I had it for a while on boost and it's never had a problem. But when I took the turbo off to sell and have been driving NA it fails on me. Same thing...one of the springs popped out of the clutch disc. I thought it was the TOB at first until my inspection revealed one of the springs just free balling it between the clutch disc and pressure plate.
the exact same thing here bro....except this clutch was a stage 3 that didnt last over 7,000 miles.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
the exact same thing here bro....except this clutch was a stage 3 that didnt last over 7,000 miles.

That be the end of CC clutches on my tC.

Quick Reply: Comp Clutch: 2nd Time Breaking in under 1 Year and 1 Month!