Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Could This be the Problem with Raspy Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

it depends on the resonator...

usually straight through resonators only cut about .001hp or something so technically you lose power...

:D
Old 03-27-2006, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rasp is from loosing the precat
im 97.86742% sure
Old 03-27-2006, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy

usually straight through resonators only cut about .001hp or something so technically you lose power...

who the ____ cares
Old 03-27-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by wc01
Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy

who the flip cares
just FYI thats all
Old 03-27-2006, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, So somebody who runs the HKS Hi-Power axle back, Alpha Works Header, but keeps the stock midpipe shouldnt have rasp? Stock Resenator is huge and you would still have one cat.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06SuperWhite_SoCal_tC
Ok, So somebody who runs the HKS Hi-Power axle back, Alpha Works Header, but keeps the stock midpipe shouldnt have rasp? Stock Resenator is huge and you would still have one cat.
Not quite. the stock resonator is not even adequate to eliminate the rasp with the stock exhaust, let alone an aftermarket one. I use the stock exhaust since and still had some some rasp which is why I had a larger resonator installed.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ok so I went to Anchor Muffler in Anaheim (found them thru this Thread ...:HERE:...) ... had pat (owner) take a look at my rasp... he said it wasn't the resonator that i need. the reason why I have rasp is because of the stock exhaust I have and that it was better if I replace the muffler. So I told them I'll be back because I don't have that much to spend for an exhaust system(note that they haven't given me a quote yet) so here's my question, was I just getting my leg pulled? do I really need it replaced? the reason why I'm hessitant of replacing it, is becase I don't what it to be load and annoying...with or without rasp...I want it a little bit on the quiet side.

If i do need to replace it what do you guys think about this type of muffler from magnaflow? will it tone down my exhaust to which is "almost" like stock? Sorry for all the questions...I'm just doing research before jumping in

taken from magnaflow website:

MagnaFlow XL 3 Chamber Mufflers use a unique combination of large diameter perforated tubing and strategically placed sound baffles to reduce unwanted resonance and help your engine create horsepower.

The sound baffles tune the sound waves using calibrated tuning gate openings that allow portions of the waves to pass through. These tuned waves reflect off the back wall of the muffler and cancel out unwanted harsher sounds.

The large diameter perforated core eliminates the flow restrictions of a louvered style core. A careful balance between perforation size/spacing and the baffle tuning gate make for a great 3 chamber performance muffler.

thanks in advance,
Old 03-27-2006, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I have a stock muffler and had rasp with the stock resonator and AW header. I changed out the resonator and have no more rasp. Tell Pat that you want a 22" long or larger 4" body Magnaflow perforated core resonator. It will eliminate or sgnificantly eliminate any rasp you have. Or you can have fun with it and have Pat install an exhaust kit with a "no rasp guarantee". If he puts it on and its still raspy, you get to keep it at no charge. I doubt hell go for it but its worth a shot right?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

He said he can order the magnaflow resonator but he said he also has a glasspack that he can put in.... now whats the difference between the two?

is this the right one? I've been seeing either get the 4inch or the 6inch round ones in my searches. what the difference?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glasspack=resonator and will probably work just fine. Magnaflow doesnt have to be used but it is high quality and the results are proven