Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default crank pulley

What does it do? how does it work? and what kind of gains will i see if i get one?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: crank pulley

Originally Posted by athletefeet66
What does it do? how does it work? and what kind of gains will i see if i get one?
Heres you homework
The good
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...725&highlight=
and the bad
http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/in...topic=6923&hl=

Read up
Old 04-03-2007, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

works like a pulley but w/ less weight. You probably wont see any gains.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the Agency lightweight crank pulley. I noticed right away a difference in the responsiveness of the engine. I've had it on my car for about 9 months (18,000 miles) without any problems. I've heard bad and good about every aftermarket part out there, it just comes down to how well you treat and maintain your car.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and removing a part that engineers felt was necessary to include is not maintaining or taking care of your car.

lock this ____ing thread, its been discussed too many god damned times.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

for one the crank is generally balanced for the weight of that particular crank pulley and flywheel... not a good idea to change either of those.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have to do what's right for you and what you feel is safe for the investment you have in this vehicle. It's all about personal choice and what you feel comfortable with. I've not had any problems with any modification I've done to any of my vehicles over the last 20 years, but that may not be the case for everyone.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so basically i have not seen any definitive answer. i read all those posts and no one or very very few have problems with their pulleys but then some of you are saying its stupid to do anyway.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by athletefeet66
so basically i have not seen any definitive answer. i read all those posts and no one or very very few have problems with their pulleys but then some of you are saying its stupid to do anyway.
I'll make it simple for you: No risk, no reward. But don't mod your car if you can't afford to replace it if you break it.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah for sure. thanks
Old 04-07-2007, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lightweight aluminum pulleys have not caused motors to fail during years and years of road racing. Fact.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lightweight aluminum pulleys have not caused motors to fail during years and years of road racing. Fact.

I'll enjoy watching you try to back that statement up. Where's my popcorn?

The only fact of this ____ing retarded discussion is this:

The only people that recommend using non-dampened pulleys are the ones that are trying to sell them to you.

Anyone that puts forth even a little bit of effort into researching just what they're doing to their car, not to mention engineers with IQ's so much higher than yours it'd make your dick shrink....they're the ones saying they're a bad idea.

Also, I thought of something that could prove your ludicrous blanket statement I quoted. The NHRA banned the use of non-dampened pulleys, so I guess you could say that since they're not used, they can't be responsible for engine failure.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by adg016
fact? hardly. do your research before you state your "facts". actually... go under the tc, look at the pulley, better yet, take the pulley off (if you even know how), and look at it in depth compared to the UR or NST pulley. and tell me why toyota would do what they did to their pulley, yet UR and NST didnt.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmmm....I suppose my National Championship running them doesn't give me much credibility. Then again, I'm sure your street driving is far more extreme duty than my team's (and dozens of other teams') thousands of road race miles.

And with that, my contribution to this thread and others of its ilk ends.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:49 PM

Since I'm a Racing Series Director and Developing Manager of a Racing Series, I can safely say there are gains in adding a light wheel pulleys with very little downsides. This is a common mod that almost all road racing cars do. You'll benefit from the weight reduction of rotating mass; resulting in a more responsive engine and in turn, decreases the drag on the engine, unleashing more power. It’s a simple fact.

You can make even more gains by putting in a Light Weight Flywheel. Must racers change. Now in a Focus 2.3L and 2.0L Duretecs crank pulley is actually integrated with the timing pulley which can cause problems. It's an interference engine. O believe the tC is not an interference engine.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You want to talk about facts? Here is a good FACT.

FACT, For every internet scientist who sits behind a computer screen and tries to insult other people's intelligence to try to tell you how smart her is and how you should not use a solid pulley... there are hundreds, if not thousands of actual real people with real world experience who have never had any problems. FACT!

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=pulley+owners

FACT. I have used NST pulleys on every car I have owned over the past 10 years. I have never had any problems of any kind. FACT!

FACT. You guys will try to insult me by saying how I am a loser for not listening to your "science" and your "physics." That is just fine by me. There was a time when science said the world was flat and that gravity was not real. FACT!

Lock this thread please.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Why do you guys get so worked up over simple questions? grats on no one here answering his question.

anyways back to the topic at hand the crank pully powers some of the accesories on your car like A/C and other items.

a light weight pully reduces the mass in which the crank has to turn thus freeing up avalible power.

like i said it free's up power so you will see gains. in HP and torque.

hope i could of been of some help with your question.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Syldrin
Why do you guys get so worked up over simple questions? grats on no one here answering his question.
You know, you're absolutely right

So here is a copy and paste for you. From www.NonStopTuning.com

Crank pulleys, attached to the outside of the crankshaft, are the source of power for a car's accessories. The alternator, power steering, water pump, and air conditioner are all belt driven units, attached to the crank pulley, that use horsepower from an engine to provide their own services. Underdrive pulley systems increase an engine's horsepower by reducing the power required to drive the external engine accessories. By replacing factory pulleys with carefully resized units, the accessories are slowed enough so that their performance does not suffer, but just enough so that more horsepower is sent to the wheels and put to the ground. Where horsepower should be!
Normally, underdrive pulleys like the units found at NonStopTuning will increase engine output by 8 to 15 horsepower! This increase results in quarter-mile time improvements of .2 to .25 seconds, easily making this modification one of the best "bang for your buck" modifications for any sport compact car or truck.

Another great benefit in replacing factory pulleys with underdrive units is reduced weight. Factory units, also referred to as OEM, are generally constructed from steel or cast iron. Pulley systems like those found at NST are constructed of aircraft quality aluminum, making them extremely durable while at the same time much lighter than their steel counterparts. This increased weight reduction results in less rotating mass on the engine's crankshaft which drastically increases the engine's ability to rev up to speed faster. Better throttle response = big grin on a driver's face![/quote]
Old 04-08-2007, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
Originally Posted by adg016
fact? hardly. do your research before you state your "facts". actually... go under the tc, look at the pulley, better yet, take the pulley off (if you even know how), and look at it in depth compared to the UR or NST pulley. and tell me why toyota would do what they did to their pulley, yet UR and NST didnt.
you dont even konw how stupid you sound right now.

he is the driver of hte first road race tC, that is supported by scion!!

you do realize, that he has built most of this tC by his OWN HANDS!! and he has broken more than enough records and has driven for MUCH MUCH longer than you.

PLEASE, DO NOT OPEN YOUR MOUTH UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR SAYING.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

before this post gets too derailed i'd say his question has been answered and lets not start a ____ing contest in here. lets leave well enough alone. sorry to help in derailing with this post.

Quick Reply: crank pulley