Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default WOW

That is all great info! Thanks for taking your time and sharing your wealth of knowledge with us!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you don not spread your knowledge, you may have as well not have learned it.

Thanks everyone for sharing this info.. i appreciate it as well.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, I vote for this thread to be stickied.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow. That was the most in depth and persuading info i have seen on this website. thanks so much.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by MotoIQ
Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
Those are valid questions so I don't mind. I only hate blanket refusals based on the event of something not happening.

1. I don't know when the book was published but it's old. I'd say early 90's old. It's not my book.

2. Toyota documents that "rubber ring" as damping both NVH and torsional vibrations. NVH is, I think, mostly a comfort/discomfort thing but torsional vibrations took down more than its share of bridges. When the "symptoms" were brewing no one could feel it either. I don't think torsional vibrations are transmitted very well through the chassis but rather, releases its energy through bolts and chains and whatever is directly connected to the crank.

3. The book discusses Toyota technology and the damper technology hasn't changed. The rubber ring sandwiched between plates is probably the cheapest damping Toyota felt was necessary. That book states that it's used for both NVH and torsional vibrations. So as far as the pulley goes, torsional vibrations are relevant to the 2AZ.

4. I don't know too much about that. If that's true, that'd be great news.

Honestly, MotoIQ's post makes a lot of sense. I was referred to those pages by someone who's involved in Supras and of course, those run I6 engines with exceedingly long crankshafts. I think the best evidence for the tC's not detonating, thus far, is that it uses a very stout, short, and forged stock crank shaft.

I'm no expert either. But the tC is my only means of transportation so I would opt to become an expert in whatever I put on my car. I researched pullies a little and found torsional vibrations. MotoIQ presents some new information to me that explains away a lot of stuff. However, I would find out more about resonating metal.

And honestly, the gains really aren't worth running into torsional vibrations. If you take away danger from resonant frequencies then it's still not a very worthwhile mod, in my opinion. I'd rather get lightweight wheels. Not only would they save considerably more weight than a few ounces, they'd look good too.
The stock damper helps atinuate torsional vibrations of a different order and magnitude that tend to make a rumbling or knocking noise at lower rpm. These are not the destructve vibrations at a higher rpm that have enough energy input to actualy cause posible harm.

The stock damper is not tuned to effectivly damp these out either.

When you go to a lighter flywheel and/or pulley it is not uncommon for these noises to become much louder. Some cars they can become very loud. On my 300zxtt with its twin disc super light. super low inertia solid hub clutch, the harmonic noise is extremely loud at 2500 rpm. If this was a daily driver it would be totaly unacceptable. When you put a light flywheel in a 350Z there is a noticable increse in engine vibrations.

For an all out race engine that dwells about the cranks second harmoinc in its powerband, it can be prudent to got to ATI, Fisher or Fluidamper and work with them on a damper that can help control these vibrations. Some of the signs of problems are broken oil pumps, sheared keyways, cracked cranks, sheared flywheel bolts, sheared pulley bolts, cracked blocks, strange bearing wear patterns.

These sorts of problems are more common in V-6 engines. I have seen them in the following i-4's, B series Honda motors with strokes at 100 mm or greater, Nissan KA24D, and Nissan QR25DE motors and thats about it. These motors were highly modied, spun really hard and were used in drag racing, class 7 truck racing and World Challange sccordingly. The QR25DE has a 100mm stroke and a pretty wimpy low overlap crankshaft.

All of these applications were high dollar, factory race team level racing unter extreme condtions.

I have never seen problems with solid hub pulleys on any street 4 cylinder no matter how hard it was driven and very few race applications other than the above mentioned ones.

So in short, don't worry, the vibrations that the pulley was designed to damp are a different order and lower rpm with less energy that can damage your engine. it might be more noisey though.
first i wanna say thanks for the decent answering...

im still not sure how much torsional vibration that thin piece of rubber could do, but thats already been settled

anyways, just out of curiosity to support the latter quote, what is the stoke of the tC in mm?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

96mm
Old 04-10-2007, 04:21 PM

[quote="3min3m2"][quote="MotoIQ"]

first i wanna say thanks for the decent answering...

im still not sure how much torsional vibration that thin piece of rubber could do, but thats already been settled

anyways, just out of curiosity to support the latter quote, what is the stoke of the tC in mm?
96mm.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Soem good basic info

check this out guys, it is a good and simple explnation of what we are talking about.

http://www.indiacar.com/infobank/tor..._vibration.htm
Old 04-10-2007, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Resonance can be avoided by either damping the system, or by making sure that the engine cannot be run at the major critical speed. The shortness of four-cylinder cranks results in a major critical speed of well over 9000rpm, so that a torsional damper is not essential on a four. It is still sometimes fitted to take care of the minor critical speeds. These are the speeds at which resonance of a lower amplitude occurs because the forces involved are smaller, or are damped by other induced vibrations.

The straight-eight engine, used extensively for racing between the world wars, resonates at about 3100rpm, where the forces are low enough to be dealt with, either by making sure the crank is robust, or fitting a damper, or having the power take-off in the centre of the crankshaft. In the latter case, the crankshaft behaves like two four-cylinder cranks. V8s and V6s have shorter cranks, but modern designs are fitted with dampers. The six-cylinder engine is the difficult one, with a major critical near 5000rpm, where the forces are high enough to render a good damper essential.
if any one gets a tC to hold together at 8900 RPM, we will need to look for another kind of dampner, as the stock one would be inefficent, let alone a steel one....but at 6200, i doubt it

why v-8s normally have harmonic balancers, and four cylinders dont...

thanksMotoIQ
Old 04-10-2007, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice.

It's about time someone from the "other" side brought up viable facts.

This also explains why the Horizon NA tC uses ATI's damper, which is heavier than the stock one. That tC needs it to make 10's without blowing up.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Very nice.

It's about time someone from the "other" side brought up viable facts.

This also explains why the Horizon NA tC uses ATI's damper, which is heavier than the stock one. That tC needs it to make 10's without blowing up.
odds are sometihng super super racing(such as a 10 second tc) would need seomthing like that
Old 04-10-2007, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The difference is the colorful Horizon tC is NA. That thing needs to be spun up and wrung out to make 10 seconds; it's probably spun up to around 9,000~ RPM. Any other 10 second tC is probably turbo'd and might not need a damper.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The difference is the colorful Horizon tC is NA. That thing needs to be spun up and wrung out to make 10 seconds; it's probably spun up to around 9,000~ RPM. Any other 10 second tC is probably turbo'd and might not need a damper.
its the shear RPMs(i think) that can throw an engine into pieces, not just pure HP(when it comes to torsional vibration)
Old 04-11-2007, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i remember reading somewhere that they raised the rev limter on the 07 tC. is that true?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by 3min3m2
why v-8s normally have harmonic balancers, and four cylinders dont...

thanksMotoIQ
Many domestic V-8 engines are externaly balanced and the balancer has a percentage of overbalance to it to help keep vibrations in check, this means that the balancer can be several lbs heavier on one side.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its the shear RPMs(i think) that can throw an engine into pieces, not just pure HP(when it comes to torsional vibration)
I think it's exactly the RPM that would destroy the engine at 9k RPM.

I think we're in agreement, just with misunderstandings...
Old 04-11-2007, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I think it's exactly the RPM that would destroy the engine at 9k RPM.

I think we're in agreement, just with misunderstandings...
just said the same thing, in a different way, adn confused each other lol
Old 04-13-2007, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well let me throw this in here too, is there any truth to the concerns about running both an a/m pulley and light flywheel?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rippintC
well let me throw this in here too, is there any truth to the concerns about running both an a/m pulley and light flywheel?
to my knowledge, no...a lightweight pulley can make it harder to take off, if your not used to a stick, cause of less momentum in the flywheel(physics!!)

it might make a little more noise/vibration, but it will also spin a lot better
Old 04-13-2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by rippintC
No worries from an engine durabilty side. A light flywheel does drive different, its more likely to stall and you have to rev the motor and slip the clutch more to get going, this is no big deal, its just a little different feeling. The throttle response gets much better and the car jumps more, especialy in the lower gears.

A light flywheel usualy increses noise and vibration more than a crank pulley, yet people are way more paranoid about the pulley.

Quick Reply: crank pulley