Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by MotoIQ
A light flywheel usualy increses noise and vibration more than a crank pulley, yet people are way more paranoid about the pulley.
That's the part I found to be funny, Mike. There was people saying they rather change the flywheel then the Pully because of the increase of noise and vibration of a Pully change.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:31 PM

Well, I guess that shows that people don't understand the phenomina, changing the mass of the rotating aseembly changes its resonate frequency even if it is on the other side of the crank.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:23 PM

Two days of Racing and a lot of track miles last weekend and it didn't blowup
Old 04-19-2007, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Several years of drag racing here with NST stuff on different cars and mine haven't blown up either.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you tryin to take a shot at me Ted7 ? At least use the quote function properly man. There was a lot of talk on here about not running both a light flywheel and light crank, especially from the turbo crowd. Hence my question to MotoIQ for clarification on the matter b/c he obviously knows what hes talking about and seems interested in helping the community. I for one have never stated any of the things you listed after you tried to quote me. Just cuz I'm on sl doesnt mean i'm an idiot. I am also well aware of the fact that a these modifications have effects on noise, vibration, etc. Add something useful to thread.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by rippintC
you tryin to take a shot at me Ted7 ? At least use the quote function properly man. There was a lot of talk on here about not running both a light flywheel and light crank, especially from the turbo crowd. Hence my question to MotoIQ for clarification on the matter b/c he obviously knows what hes talking about and seems interested in helping the community. I for one have never stated any of the things you listed after you tried to quote me. Just cuz I'm on sl doesnt mean i'm an idiot. I am also well aware of the fact that a these modifications have effects on noise, vibration, etc. Add something useful to thread.
I think he simply said that the car went two days at the track under race condtions and several hundred miles flat out and it didnt blow up.

The flywheel should be in place by the next race.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:59 PM

I wasn't trying to take a shot at you personally, I was replaying to Mike's Quote.

We’re also going to be changing the flywheel as well. In “theory” that could also add more increses noise and vibration. But, We also expect not to have any problems.

Now, I think if you're taking a shot at me for not trying to help the Scion commuity and this fourm, you're dead wrong.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont know ted, when i was doing the checklist i felt the car was going to blow up in my face

Old 04-20-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nah i'm not taking a shot at you, just feel like instead of laughing about the question maybe you could add a little to motoiq's answer. thats all. i'm always glad to see people who are more involved in motorsports with the tC on here. i'm interested to hear what the results will be after you add the flywheel to the mix.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:17 PM

nah i'm not taking a shot at you, just feel like instead of laughing about the question maybe you could add a little to motoiq's answer. thats all. i'm always glad to see people who are more involved in motorsports with the tC on here. i'm interested to hear what the results will be after you add the flywheel to the mix.
I think you have it wrong. I'm not laughing at your question. Mike (motoiq) and I was having a good laugh about someone earlier who wrote they rather replace the flywheel over a pulley because a lightweight pulley can cause Vibration noise that can cause engine damage. The fact is a lightweight flywheel can clause more vibration noise then a pulley. But, the truth is it's okay to change both. Many 4-Cylinder cars (and a lot of race cars) have done it.

Both Mike and I know the answer and we're having a laugh about that's all. If you look at my post above, you'll see I change the quote to only Mike's. We were even laughing at the track telling people not to get to close to the car because it has a light weight pulley and it might blow-up. This whole thing is a joke because some people (before you post) are very Ignorant about this Theory; because they were told by a Phd you shouldn't do....... We,ll a Phd once said that it's physically imposable for a bumblebee to fly, but a bumblebee sure does a pretty good job at it. A Phd also said that coil-binding will not work in racing. But NASCAR teams have proved it can work and are a must to go fast.

I'm sorry you got caught in the middle of this, I wasn't talking about your post at all.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its no prob, just a little confusion there! like i said, i'm just glad to see people out there taking the tc to a higher level. when the opportunity presents itself, i'm interested in running both the light crank and light flywheel. i hope the setup works well and i'd really like to hear what you guys think of the combo after you get some track time with it. goodluck.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:33 AM

How about this, the race weekend was conservativly about the equal of 300-350 1/4 mile runs. I am just counting engine stress, of course the drag racing would be much harder on the drivetrain.