Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Crower Cams Caution

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Crower Cams Caution

Since I got my motor back in the car I have been chasing a cam sensor error. Caused my aem not to establish a stat sync resulting in a no start condition with the standalone. So I pulled it out put the e-manage ultimate back in. Now it would run but had hard starting issues and was popping a check engine light for the cam sensor. The signal was good above 1100 rpm, but if rpm dropped below that it would throw a code. Pulled that off and went back to stock injectors and ecu. Same as with the ultimate.

I checked the harness, it was good. Threw a new sensor at it, didnt fix it. So I pulled the valve cover and found that the three pins on the end of the cam were set too far from the mag pickup sensor. Using a punch and hammer I was able to set the distance from the pickup close enough for the ecu to get a good signal at cranking speed. Problem fixed.

So if you buy a set of cams or have your stockers out for any reason, check this before you get it all back together.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have dyno results for the Camshaft?
Old 05-21-2009, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 09TC5M
Do you have dyno results for the Camshaft?
Seriously??? The man just helped the entire community by solving a serious problem and you ask for dyno numbers......wtf

Thank you Rob for posting this information......... if you see my other thread asking who runs the AEM EMS and aftermarket cams, this was the information I was trying to get out of people to see if this was indeed the problem as it seems we were both hot on the same trail. I'm glad that you found it out. You are very attentive to detail. I like it. Good work!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was just a question. There is very little published dyno data for the Crower Cams.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

It was just a question. There is very little published dyno data for the Crower Cams.
Don't mind Don. He is just upset due to the large amount of pizza he ate for lunch.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Default Re: Crower Cams Caution

Originally Posted by Windu
Since I got my motor back in the car I have been chasing a cam sensor error. Caused my aem not to establish a stat sync resulting in a no start condition with the standalone. So I pulled it out put the e-manage ultimate back in. Now it would run but had hard starting issues and was popping a check engine light for the cam sensor. The signal was good above 1100 rpm, but if rpm dropped below that it would throw a code. Pulled that off and went back to stock injectors and ecu. Same as with the ultimate.

I checked the harness, it was good. Threw a new sensor at it, didnt fix it. So I pulled the valve cover and found that the three pins on the end of the cam were set too far from the mag pickup sensor. Using a punch and hammer I was able to set the distance from the pickup close enough for the ecu to get a good signal at cranking speed. Problem fixed.

So if you buy a set of cams or have your stockers out for any reason, check this before you get it all back together.
I am glad Don and you where able to get it all nailed down.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its all good, I never take those things too seriously. There are quite a few things that I have been interested in. One is your new Hondata type ECU controller, and the second is the Crower NA Cams. I have e-mailed BC several times about dynos. The last response I got said that is was about 20 WHP with supporting mods, when I asked for the dyno sheet they never responded. I just e-mailed them again a few mins ago. I'll just have to wait an see what happens.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Its all good, I never take those things too seriously. There are quite a few things that I have been interested in. One is your new Hondata type ECU controller, and the second is the Crower NA Cams. I have e-mailed BC several times about dynos. The last response I got said that is was about 20 WHP with supporting mods, when I asked for the dyno sheet they never responded. I just e-mailed them again a few mins ago. I'll just have to wait an see what happens.
The problem with the type of mod like cams is that the power levels are HEAVILY reliant on the type of supporting mods AND tuning. For example:

Car 1: N/A
Intake
Header
Exhaust
Standalone Engine Management
S2 Cams

Car 2: N/A
Intake
Header
Cams

Assuming good tuning, car 1 will typically make more power.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I had assumed that but a lot of people will not buy expensive parts without some sort of proof. I see it all time on here, like with the UNICHIP.

All were asking is for BC to release some Dyno results. We may or may not have all of the supporting mods used on their test car, but atleast we will have an idea of what is achievable with the new part(s).
Old 05-22-2009, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

A BIG thank you to Paul and Don from dezod for all your help with bouncing ideas around to figure this out.
The only dyno numbers I have are with the e manage ultimate. With a conservative tune, 11:1 A/F it made 240 hp on my superflow with 6 psi. If I get the rest of the bugs worked out of the new set up this weekend Ill get it on the dyno again next week.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Old 05-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Windu
A BIG thank you to Paul and Don from dezod for all your help with bouncing ideas around to figure this out.
The only dyno numbers I have are with the e manage ultimate. With a conservative tune, 11:1 A/F it made 240 hp on my superflow with 6 psi. If I get the rest of the bugs worked out of the new set up this weekend Ill get it on the dyno again next week.
You're very welcome. Don and I where discussing it being a problem with the cams. and Don was Ace Ventura enough to see it through. Glad all is well.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for posting the graphs Windu
Old 05-24-2009, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a response from Dustin at BC. He said the dynos should be up soon for the stage 2 NA cams. He also stated that they have made 18-20 hp on the cams but it requires an ecu tune to get the most out of them. He didn't specify if the hp was at the wheels or crank.