Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Custom Exhuast Systems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Custom Exhuast Systems

Hi, for all those guys with Custom Exhuast systems, i was wondering if you guys can post a how to in this topic.

Like,

What tip you guys purchased
What the difference between straight and bent?...sorry i don't know myself
What is the piping size
Where you got it done
How does it all fit, and how did you get it to fit
Would any exhuast shop do it for us?

and any other important information that would help us into getting that perfect system.

I plan on going F/I latter but would like a exhuast, i frankly dont care about cat-back unless there is a reason to care, can someone input on that as well.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have a custom axleback i threw onpretty much as soon as i got the car just for sh*ts n giggles...although it is crush bent....not mandrel bent... crush bent will f*ck up the flow because it is not a smooth bend and i have some ghetto no name muffler....the car sounded AMAZING b 4 the headers ubt now i think the headers broke in and its back to a smooth warm tone ...no rasp or buzzing..
BUT if you are considering going F.I> like myself (turbo) hopefully by summer.. i would get a no-cat 3in pipe all the way back...no muffler just a tip and maybe a resonator but thats it not cats no muffler.... BUT if you were to put a 3 in pipe all the way back now it would be pointless and you would lose A LOT of low/mid range power but you would gain it back up top...soooif you can live with that ok.. oh and it will prob sound like ____ w/o a turbo...

and unless u r goin SC dont get headers..b/c they obviously dont work w/ a turbo set up b/c of the exh manifold...

hope some of this helped b/c i dont hink n e 1 else felt like puking this info back up for u for the 100000000th time...
Old 04-04-2005, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i know that i will not go 3 inch until turbo but piping is not as exspensive as me buying a name brand cat back system.

I will go 2.5 inch i think that's stock size, but where can i get a mandrel bent piping?

And will any muffler shop do it for me if i take hit an exhuast and just buy the piping from him?

Also should i buy stainless steel piping?

Thanks

EDIt

Do you think i can buy this exhuast and get piping from a local shop?
Or does thi muffler suck?

WHich do you prefer?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...965916089&rd=1

thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can't go wrong with N1.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im about to go get it done right now. i have an injen axle back and dc headers. im about to get the mid-pipe done but just kind of nervous of it being rice. anyone else done something liek this?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wowguytc
im about to go get it done right now. i have an injen axle back and dc headers. im about to get the mid-pipe done but just kind of nervous of it being rice. anyone else done something liek this?
get the megan headers if you don't want a ricey sound.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well its louder but i just did the 2.5 inch pipe from where the s-pipe ends to the beginning of the axle on the injen exhaust. my theory is that i need a bigger muffler to quiet it down some. this injen exhaust is really small and only meant for axle back style. the guy also told me i could get a high flow cat and he'd do it all and keep the o2 sensor for 125. but after buying a new muffler ( like apexi or something) and then 125 its coming pretty pricey. so i might be having to sell my used injen exhuast. think anyone would be interested?
Old 04-05-2005, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you need mandrel bent tubing go to www.summitracing.com I bought a few 180degree bends and a Dynomax turbo muffler and made my own axle back for about$80. It looks almost exactly like the Creative Compacts system but cost a fraction of price. The exhuast is very quiet. Its very low and mellow close to a 350z as you could probably get, which was what I was trying to do. I might remove the stock resonator to increase the sound a little bit but I will wait for the muffler to break in. I used 2.25 tubing which is about an eight of an inch bigger than stock. Once I shirnk down the pics I post some them.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey bajamike can you give me a little bit more details, and whats stock size?

Can i not go 2.5 inch piping? is it to big?

Also why a bend 180? That would make it restrictive right?

I would have like a little mendral bent and mostly straight...i am so confused, but whats your thought about me buying a 23 muffler off ebay? the link is

Old 04-06-2005, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by davo345
Originally Posted by wowguytc
get the megan headers if you don't want a ricey sound.
We've already covered this in multiple threads now. The Megans are just as bad as the DCs, even with the built in precat.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to be a smartass or anything but isn't a 180deg bend basically a straight pipe with no bends? Honestly how do you bend something 180degs?

bajamike, got pics? dyno?
Old 04-06-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by unlimited77
hey bajamike can you give me a little bit more details, and whats stock size?

Can i not go 2.5 inch piping? is it to big?

Also why a bend 180? That would make it restrictive right?

I would have like a little mendral bent and mostly straight...i am so confused, but whats your thought about me buying a 23 muffler off ebay? the link is

i wouldn't buy that muffler, any muffler claiming 8 - 12 hp from just the muffler should be laughed at
Old 04-06-2005, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am not looking at any gains really from a muffler or any exhuast system, i just want it to sound decent, and piping will be open.

I am sorry for misunderstanding the 180 thing, but for the guy who asked about the headers, it will sound ricey at first like others said but once it get heated in it should sound better.

NOW back to the original topic.

What piping should i get with this muffler, and is this muffler really a N1 or a wannabe?

Also if i get different size piping from axle back will it still attach to the stock piping?

thanks
Old 04-06-2005, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I would not buy that muffler unless you want a loud exhaust. Anything that small that flows straigth through is going to be loud. I talked to a bunch of shops and the dynomax turbo muffler is designed to be really quiet. It does not flow straight through but travels in a S. You sacrafice flow with this muffler but you get a really quiet deep sound that will not be raspy like the one you are looking at or like some magnalfow mufflers. The 180 bend is there so I could mount the muffler sideways in the same spot as the stock muffler. You might lose some flow by doing this but nothing you will notice. You are not going to gain much power from just the exhaust anyways it's mainly for sound.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i don't know much about exhaust pipes, but i know on water pipes, every 90 degree bend is eqaul to 6 feet of pipe as far as resistance goes. if the same is true with exhaust thats like adding 12 feet of pipe
Old 04-07-2005, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok here a some pics of my exhaust

If you got welder, pipe expander and a cut off saw you are good to go.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So your saying if i bought that N1 muffler it will be way to loud?

Would i have to weld it on to my car? and would it harm it if i took if off later or would i have to cut it off?

Thanks for the pics but i dont have similar taste in exhuast, i do not like the stock look at all.

thank you

EDIT: also is 90mm outlet tips 4 inches?

thanks
Old 04-08-2005, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the look of the N1 and if I thought it would sound good on this car I might buy one. I have seen resonators bigger than that muffler. If you want something that doesn't sound ricey its going to need some mass. Most of the mufflers that look like the N1 come with a removeable quiet core instert if you want to make them quieter. Only thing is they really constict flow and can even make the exhaust sound more raspy. If you are going to try and install it yourself you are probably going to have to do some welding. If you are not expierenced at fabricating stuff and if you do not have a welder I would say take it to a muffler shop or buy a premade axel back from Greddy or HKS if you like their style.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
Not to be a smartass or anything but isn't a 180deg bend basically a straight pipe with no bends? Honestly how do you bend something 180degs?
umm you prolly figured it out by now, but you were thinking circles...
when describing turns 180 means something bent to go back the way it came...
(so it means a u-bent pipe)

hence "pulling a 180", in a car, skateboard, bike etc

a pipe with no bends would be 0 degrees

just in case its unclear.. a pipe with a 45 degree bend has a mild bend not an acute angle
Old 04-20-2005, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member

mmmm just to add my 2 cents... if you are talking about a real A'PEXi N1 muffler... it should run you about $270 from summit racing

Quick Reply: Custom Exhuast Systems