Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

deep exhaust - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
borla used to just make products for large engine cars. now they are shifting over to another market. ( i am real behind in times so this might have happened years ago) ..anyway. They have always put out a good product that generally sounds deeper with a grunt. Thats why I am asking what it sounds like on this type of car. If you put a borla cat back on a camaro it sounds great. BUt this engine setup is barely similar. I do not like that ricy sound but you are always going to get a lil bit of that with this type of car. The key is to set things up so its minimal but sounds better through the perfect product for your car. I am trying to do things the right way the first time so I am hoping people can point me to the right setup. I am planning on ordering my K&N intake within the next few days and want an exhaust that will match up to the Nissan Z's grunt ...if not better. The deaper sound when taking off sounds so nice. Thats what I am looking for because that is a realistic goal.
i don't think you're going to match the z's "grunt" without some more power making mods
Old 03-26-2005, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I honestly like my car for the price compared to 10k more for the cost of the Z. If you wanted to do 10k of upgrades to your car you would blow the Z away w/o a problem. But like I said - I know its not going to be the same but I want to match something in that direction and that gives people the picture of what I am thinking. Ya know?
Old 03-26-2005, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i understand what your trying to say. but if you aren't matching the power you aren't going to match the sound. your best bet would be to get some custom piping with a borla muffler, or magnaflow exhaust system. they are known for deep tones and good exhausts. i would say 2.25 or 2.50 mendrel bent. don't bother getting if if it's crushed bent.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there a certain name for the type of muffler that tilts to the side at the end? You know what iam talking about? Like the muffler is facing like slightly to the right.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I thought exhaust shops angle the muffler tip because they don't want to work harder to properly bend the piping? That's what they did to my friend's Eclipse... it has an angled tip, and the guy told him it's because of the rear axle being in the way.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like certain cars have it done that way. Subarus, eclipses, i've seen some civic bubbles with it, i think it looks pretty nice. So iam looking for one like that but i dont know if anyone makes them. I seen one no-namer on e-bay for like 180 but i don't trust e-bay.

Heres the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
Old 03-27-2005, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah, that's not a function of the muffler itself. It's just how the piping was run. Exaust piping should be as smooth as possible, avioiding a lot of turns and especially high angle bends. That was probably the best way to route the exaust because of the AWD.

If you get your exaust custom fabbed at a shop they'll be able to have it exit at whatever angle you want. Make sure they mandrel bend the tubing and its not crush bent, or you are defeating the purpose of a larger exaust.

good luck
Old 03-27-2005, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Hitm@n
Like certain cars have it done that way. Subarus, eclipses, i've seen some civic bubbles with it, i think it looks pretty nice. So iam looking for one like that but i dont know if anyone makes them. I seen one no-namer on e-bay for like 180 but i don't trust e-bay.

Heres the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
they are claiming "Increase 10-15 HP with smooth & deep sound" from an axleback
Old 03-27-2005, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe it's just me, but would hooking up an exhaust like the huge hooker system I had on my Camaro give a deep sound? If the chamber in the muffler is big, IE: 3ft by 1 ft by at least 8in. , would it give a deep sound? I think it might, if the sound can echo and bounch around inside a big muffler, don't you have a better chance of it sounding low and growl like?
Old 03-28-2005, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Exaust "tone" isn't dictated by the exaust as much as it is by the motor itself. It is damn near impossible to make a NA 4 cyl sound like a turbo 4 cyl or an eight cyl. Exaust note can be tuned but it can't be completly transfomed.

Sorry, but it's matter of phyics.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

any exhaust will sound pretty damn good on the tC.. its a 2.4 so it has a little bit more displacemtnet then your typical 4 banger...once you get a header.. you can forget about it...b/c it will sound like ___...i am about to take mine off b.c the sound doesnt warrant the power it makes which in minimal....
Old 03-31-2005, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont know i like the look of an angled exhaust, like a firball type. But at the same time i dont want it to look too extreme. I love the way that dual one looks, but then you have to worry about bodywork to cut the bumper. Trd sounds good, but i dunno.