Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Do all headers sound raspy for the tC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

....um...the plus and equal signs?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by captainlaziness
....um...the plus and equal signs?
Son... I am disappoint.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all of those videos are ricey but i kinda like it. i like noise and being heard but if your car just sounds like that and can't perform, gtfo. i know the gains are minimal, i know it sounds ricey. IF, and that's a big IF there were larger gains, say 10-15hp, i might consider it. if you don't race your car and don't want to sound like a slow as f*** civic, gtfo. i want power and don't want to spend the money for a turbo. i've accepted the fact that the tc isn't a beast unless you drop the cash for boost. bolt ons aren't so great, i wish they were. an all motor build with a killer tune? yeah i'm down. do i race? nope.

anyway, i like the sound but not for a DD. noise vs gains = not worth it. i hate the ricers that go ***** out and sound like a crotch rocket and i beat them to the red light...shifting at 3500 btw.

i'm happy i came upon this thread. i was just about to buy a used dc header. fml if i did.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also...i've never heard the rasp in person so i don't know how loud it really is. i mean, i'm sure i have heard it i just don't know what i'm listening for. epic rice seems to be the gist
Old 01-30-2010, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have heard several tC with a header and trd exhaust and it was awful. Then i have heard several hundred hondas with a ton of rasp, on integra had some much rasp it actually hurt my ears.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the TRD exhaust and the MMW header and IMO when I'm just cruising it sounds fine *shrug*..it's still loud but unless I'm WOT it really doesn't sound that raspy..to me anyway
Old 01-30-2010, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ that could be adaptation to it. or maybe you could be like me. i like the sound it makes but for a DD, hell naw. maybe if it was a few hundred decibels quieter...

do you have any kind of sound deadening?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope..no sound deadening..it gets annoying once in awhile but ive gotten used to it.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll get one eventually. it's just not in the cards for me right now. resonators are my friend haha
Old 02-14-2010, 09:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have heard of people doing up to 3 resonators (of unknown lengths) to get rid of rasp. what brand of resonators work well and what dont?
Old 02-14-2010, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aero seems to be the brand a lot of people recommend.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

iono how my friend did it with his 08 Si but he has a strup header and running catless with stock midpipe and greddy-dt exhaust. there is a small hint of rasp but holy crap...you can barely notice it! i came over to check it out after he got it installed and it was better than i thought. i assumed it was going to sound like a rice rocket but that wasnt the case. iono what it is with our tC's but...unless someone would be nice enough to post their setups and recommend us some good high-flow cats and resonators then im staying away from headers.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 PM

I have the same magnaflow and have nothing but good things to say, my brother got his from ebay but I wanted a valid warranty(I have had problems with ebay sellers before) so I got it here. magnaflow 16481, or you can try one of the vendors here on the forum selling magnaflow, they are allways having sales/specials on the forums. It is nicely built and sounds great I think.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question

I really dont know to much about exhaust, but I have a injen cai with a trd exhaust. Im thinking to install a magnaflow resonator. Im not sure wich header install yet. I hope you help me with that.. Just wanna know if the magnaflow resonator makes the exhaust not to much loud? and some link where they sell it? I dont know if is this one..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...Q5fAccessories

thanks
Old 04-24-2010, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

if you remove the cat, expect rasp even with 5 resons. add a high flow cat then you will have no rasp; easy right? also keep it the same pipe radius or you will lose alot of tq and gain little hp
Old 05-04-2010, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My current setup is Stock headers, Invidia S pipe, custom mid-pipe ( its a stock one with the cat cut out and the the resonator), and a tanabe G concept for my axle sounds great.
What i will be doing thought is getting a mmw 4-2-1 header. Now i have the chance to switch up the pipes too witha draxas setup with hi flow cat and resonators. But hopefully it will sound great.

As for rasp in our cars yeah of course we get it when we ____ with the oem ____, and swap it out but as a hi flow cat a resonator or two and your good, you might get a lil rasp here and there but coompared to just leaving it without curbing the rasp and your goign to sound really really loud and annoying lol
Old 05-06-2010, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I say just stick to Stock header, build your exhaust how suits you.

Anyone one have a tC with a aftermarket header and stock exhaust system ? wonder if there's rasp. that would probably pinpoint exactly where in the header is causing the rasp.

Also airflow dynamics comes to mind, a while back some one was doing a test and they found that by reinforcing the header pipes to each other ( tack welding them ) would definitely remove the rasp. The pipes vibrating and resonating against each other once airflow is present.

^ not 100% on this but i don't have a header to play with and provide much useful information. but you guys can =) heh

i like stock header myself. the low end is so sick. I've pulled multiple 2.0 60 ft times at PBIR
Old 05-12-2010, 06:12 AM
SL Member

How about Skunk2 and header . Its sound nice to me, wondering if it's louder or not by replace an MMW by DC header
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NujMg...eature=related
Old 05-12-2010, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Has anyone added a magnaflow catalytic converter. If so did it get rid of the rasp?
Old 05-13-2010, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Im sure that the guy in the Skunk2 vid you posted, didnt even gas it above 3k RPM's.. You really need to rev the engine to hear the rasp.. I have yet to see any header that wont create rasp. Ive heard that the DC sports header which is supposed to be 4-1, doesn't create rasp.. But who knows.. If you want HP, go turbo and dont worry about a header.. lmao....

Quick Reply: Do all headers sound raspy for the tC?