Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Double Clutching?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I have to disagree here...

Double clutching is a very useful skillset, even for trans. With synchros....

Fact: our econocars MT's were not designed for all out race shifting. Under normal loads and driving, there is no need whatsoever to double clutch. But if you frequently downshift fast and hard you WILL destroy your synchros. Just go see a transmission shop and ask them how many ricer Honda come in with bad synchros.

Double clutching eliminates any synchro wear from occuring during hard downshifts (upshifts are not as abusive as downshifts). Even with rev matching, the synchros still need to do a lot of work.

And if you're autocrossing and need to jump into 1st after a hairpin, odds are that you will not be able to engage 1st (unless you force it) without double clutching.

But yes, 99.9% of the time, double clutching is pointless...
Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The real point of my post was that - if a question comes out of the movie the fast and furious it should be laughed at - I strongly doubt that people on here are working with 700hp $100k cars where trick driving would serve any point.

Thoughts.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have never, ever double clutched a syncronized tranny (unless the syncros are trashed). Even during autocross. And the only trashed syncros I have had was on an old pos that had bad syncros when I got it. If you rev match properly on the downshift, wear on the syncros is GREATLY reduced.

But on a side note, you should rarely, if ever, need to downshift to first in the tC while autocrossing. The time you waste doing that is not worth the time it will gain you out of a tight corner IMO.