Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Drag Turbo Needs a Stock TC

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FIracing
Then you guys are going to be hard up for turbo kits... I ALWAYS ask the customer to at least cover the materials costs. However, I guarantee the engine/kit. For instance.. if I blow up the engine in the R&D process, or if anything breaks during testing.. I cover it 100%, no questions asked. I am fairly confident in my ability though, and I haven't lost a motor in R&D to this date. I have never recieved one complaint about people having to pay for materials when I do R&D. I think you'll find that 99% of the shops that you go to.. will tell you the same thing. I do this for a living, and I am friends with owners of at least 2 dozen shops. Each and every one of them does the same thing that I do.

Travis

I'd rather have a company who has proven yearly success and reputation rather then a small one who has people with just four years of experience.

But thats just my opinion...
Old 01-01-2005, 09:26 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by FIracing
Then you guys are going to be hard up for turbo kits
I doubt it, the tC is too popular of a car. There people waitning months to get this ride like me, 2 and counting .

For instance.. if I blow up the engine in the R&D process, or if anything breaks during testing.. I cover it 100%, no questions asked.
Well I would hope so that's my freakin car. Do you feel as if your doing the customer a favor, by replacing what you messed (kinder word) up?

In conclusion anyone taking this deal MUST be insane. You want me to get up my car for 3 weeks :o after I wait however long for it. AND PAY for R&D on my car. Oh and that not forget me paying so you can slap a giant sticker on their too.

WHERE'S THE HOOKUP!!
Old 01-01-2005, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="TeamMightyMiniz"]This is why SCION GIVES tC's to folks like GREDDY.
quote]

And is why, I already have a GReddy turbo on the way for me!

GReddy and Turbonetics, are the two best leading turbo makers out on the market today.

Why? Their overall products, and customer friendly staff. I've never heard of this Drag thing, I know it's in So. Cal, but still, everyone here in my area knows about GReddy and Turbonetics.

Also, that's a really really really BAD deal. Partial Sponsership, cut me a break, if I have to give up my ride for a month, I want a full sponsership, and everything to still be covered by you guys for a free fix if you blow up my motor.

just my 2 cents
Old 01-01-2005, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlkSandPrlTurbotC
What do you know that we dont!
Old 01-01-2005, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="BlkSandPrlTurbotC"]
Originally Posted by TeamMightyMiniz
This is why SCION GIVES tC's to folks like GREDDY.
quote]

GReddy and Turbonetics, are the two best leading turbo makers out on the market today.

Why? Their overall products, and customer friendly staff. I've never heard of this Drag thing, I know it's in So. Cal, but still, everyone here in my area knows about GReddy and Turbonetics.

Also, that's a really really really BAD deal. Partial Sponsership, cut me a break, if I have to give up my ride for a month, I want a full sponsership, and everything to still be covered by you guys for a free fix if you blow up my motor.

just my 2 cents
lol drag uses turbonetics. also greddy IS NOT a leading turbo maker.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="kris79"]
Originally Posted by BlkSandPrlTurbotC
This is why SCION GIVES tC's to folks like GREDDY.
quote]

just my 2 cents
lol drag uses turbonetics. also greddy IS NOT a leading turbo maker.
actually...greddy IS a leading turbo maker. i dont know where you have been, but outside of honda turbo kits, greddy is one of the leading turbos when it comes to high performance toyota cars such as supras and mr2s. turbos i am speaking of are anywhere rangine from a td05-16g to t67 to t88 turbos which are used on some of the 800hp supras and 400hp mr2s.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you keep telling yourself that buddy.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

arguing over the GREDDY turbo is not going to change the fact that the posted "sponsorship" is a rip.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member

Oh well... it doesn't make a difference to me whether you guys agree with me or not. I have turned people away who wanted to pay about 1500.00 less and who would gladly wait a month for it. In the end, I'll have a reliable, functional and beautiful kit out there.

Oh, and by the way... Those shiny, expensive Greddy kits that you speak of.. Guess who makes them? Not Greddy.. That's for sure. Greddy contracts out almost 100% of thier product out to "smaller shops".. They also use cheap, out-dated turbochargers. Do I need to break out compressor/turbine charts for Mitsubishi turbochargers to prove a point? Ask Greddy what happened when they tried to use thier Holy Grail of "engine management" on the 350z. The emanage cost them 4 engines in R&D.. at WAY less power levels than what we are seeing reliably out of the "small shops" around the country.

You put me head to head with Greddy.. or any of the other over-priced, "leading" retailers out there.. and I promise you.. that this "small shop" will make more power, reliably, and cheaper than they could ever dream of. You want results.. well here you go.

Where's Greddy's 700+ bhp SR20DET? Oh wait.. they don't have one.

Where's Greddy's 475 bhp SE-R Spec V? Or anyone else's for that matter?

Another?

So, please, don't insult my intelligence as a competent tuner/builder. Just because we sell our parts at a reasonable price, and actually put some personal blood, sweat and tears into it.. doesn't mean that we are "inferior".

And if we ask politely, for someone to donate a car for testing.. and give them a couple grand break on a turbo system.. why is that so horrible? There are fab shops out there who build custom turbo kits on a daily basis for people. Do you think that they get a break on price? If anything.. it costs them more usually! So, I fail to see the logic... except that this is typical American attitude.. about wanting "something for nothing". Well, I don't buy it my friend. And before you snap back at me.. take the time to glance under my screen name. I pay money out of my pocket every month to be here. I do care.. and I want to develop some nice stuff for the Scion. But, the attitude that I see.. sucks. And it's totaly unlike the guys in the Nissan camp. Those guys are GRATEFUL when someone takes the time to build something new. This is more than just money to me. This is a hobby, and something that I enjoy doing. You guys should learn to see it that way too.

Travis
Old 01-02-2005, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Makes me wish i lived in south cal id like to meet you, you seem like a strait up kinda guy that is passonate about what he does damn your right there might be too maney kids buying Tc's than people that understand how things work as for me i hear that most companies dont sponser you unless you put down like 10k on a car and get your name out there then you get sponsors. me im willing to refinace my Tc next year to work a super charger into the car untill then im putting a cold air, new spring, new audio, new video system, altinator, upgraded battery and more to the car till i can put down the 4k for the kit all out of poket to me ill work 2 jobs to get it done and im proud that i can say that i didnt need a sponsore to do it. So heres to all the people out there who work hard to get want they want.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good for you dude.
It still doesn't change the fact that it's a lot of money and time away from a new car...in a so called sponsorship.

Bigger tuning companies get Factory Loaners for R&D
Smaller tuning companies provide product in trade for R&D

I'm still trying to catagorize the companies that ask for $ for an R&D project.

I've worked with some of the SMALLEST and some of the BIGGEST.
BOTH ends of this spectrum have NEVER asked for "cost" on an R&D project.
Ranging from Turbo's, Superchargers, Nitrous, suspesnion...

Good Luck and Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2005, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member

Actually, I live in Southern Louisiana.. I don't work for Drag.. I was just sticking up for the "little guys" out there.

Travis
Old 01-02-2005, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member

Good for you dude.
It still doesn't change the fact that it's a lot of money and time away from a new car...in a so called sponsorship.

Bigger tuning companies get Factory Loaners for R&D
Smaller tuning companies provide product in trade for R&D

I'm still trying to catagorize the companies that ask for $ for an R&D project.

I've worked with some of the SMALLEST and some of the BIGGEST.
BOTH ends of this spectrum have NEVER asked for "cost" on an R&D project.
Ranging from Turbo's, Superchargers, Nitrous, suspesnion...

Good Luck and Happy New Year!
Well, I guess that we can agree to disagree? What tuning companys have you owned/worked with? I never said anything about "sponsorship". I said that if someone wants a turbo kit, whether it be a custom kit, or a shelf-stock kit.. they're going to pay for it. I don't care who you are, or what you drive. This is the first time that I have heard people say stuff like what you guys are saying.. so you'll have to excuse me if I sound a little shocked.

Travis
Old 01-02-2005, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

paying for a turbo vs donating PLUS paying a company , big or small, for R&D puposes is differant than buying a kit or custom...
agreed
Old 01-02-2005, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

whats up travis..i totally back your end of things...me myself have built cars and motors using the big brand name stuff AND also subcontracted my services thru "smaller shops" as u call them and as always the most impressive results are always thru the "small shops" being a small shop never means its a bad thing. hell my best engine guy does it out of his garage at his house. He doesn't swap motors as a career but as a hobby and is excellently skilled and well taught at doing so. I'm not meaning that every small shops is someones garage, but you can always look at other companies where they have a well built quality product. greddy turbo's arent that great. as for the sponsorship, i do admit it is pricey for a turbo kit, but if you know what parts are being the drag kit, IT IS A STEAL. I mean no company is really going to give out a full on turbo kit to just someone out there. The free kits that are given out usually are to someone thats in the industry. there was a trade off involved one way or another. I'm sure Travis knows what im talking bout. Figure it this way...2500 for a kit built and installed in your car. this is for a tC. that is cheap to me. factor in cost of dyno pulls, labor, and materials..its pretty close to paying cost for it if you really do think about it. I've been in the car parts biz myself for a good number of years and have been working on engines forever. I can't stress enuff how much labor per hour rates add up fast lol.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member

Exactly.. People don't realize what it takes to make stuff like this happen. I work at least 6 days a week, 12 hours a day. Sometimes more.. For a lot of us, it's not even about money. Sure, we make money.. but we pay our bills, and it's not a "killing".. trust me. I took a 15K a year pay cut to do what I'm doing now. But, I do something that I enjoy... and that's why I stay in business. It's a challenge. I'd rather make less money.. but be creative, inginuitive, and feel useful.

Travis
Old 01-02-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I mean no company is really going to give out a full on turbo kit to just someone out there. The free kits that are given out usually are to someone thats in the industry. there was a trade off involved one way or another.
That's is also called a sponsorship....
The trade off is - showing the kit.

You mean, no company you know of or are involved with is going to give away a turbo kit to just someone out there... any ole joe.
BUT many companies do and will give the kit via sponsorship... with guidelines. If these guidelines are not met, the sponsored must return the kit, pay for the kit, or get off his ___.

Agreed.

Don't misdirect the info here from the good users of SL. Sponsorships are available, no $ need be exchanged...

I guess we can agree that the DRAG "sponsorhip" is more like - "AVAILABLE at COST fo R&D"
Whoever pays for it could keep it silent. Should not advertise for them. Why PAY, even discount, for something... them tell everyone to buy it at Retail?
If I did this with Drag -
No Stickers
No Shows
No Posts
Relating to the Turbo kit.

That's just my opinion.

I know a few companies who would sponsor a turbo kit, at their expense.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

no showing the car isnt enuff these days for a product that is THAT expensive..sure u can pick up so called "sponsors" for little knick knack stuff thats easy. ive been invollved in the show and race circuit for a good number of years and been doing biz w/ car parts for even longer. I've dealt w/ a lot of these companies. Greddy for instance wont giev a full on turbo kit to some kid just so he can do a couple shows. look at what car they put it on for free...a SCION CORP car yes thats right a corporate backed car. this is how it goes for a lot of full ride sponsorships w/ good product. Yes there are some people that are just regular private owners that land this too im not saying there arent, but most of the time they do have a good network w/ other people. Thats great u have turbo sponsor or whatever. More power to you. theres also different levels and different terms of sponsorships. so dont talk to me like i dont know wtf im talking bout. Also regarding turbo kits and the tC YES i do know that turbo kits are given out free....many of my friends in the industry have recieved free turbo kits/upgrades, and or superchargers for their cars for ZERO dollars....BUT this is for cars that the company believes they can make money on. As for the tC, many companies i know that develop turbo kits and what not for these cars will build a kit for it but do not see the money making potential in the kit. All they have to do is look at this board n see whats going on. n thats what they usually do. See who's ready n willing to go all out on the car and who's not. they play into the market that will make them the most money. the tC isnt at the top of their list. right now the battle of the evo and wrx/sti is a vested interest to them and as is the new mazda 6 which is going to be the next competitor in that class...im just sayin tC i doubt is the market they wanna push very hard on.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, it's obvious that you agree!

If this is the deal they want to push... then they should REMOVE the term SPONSORSHIP.

It should read more like this...

DRAG TURBO....
ONE AVAILABLE AT WHOLESALE in TRADE FOR R&D

Is that so hard?

Seems less MISLEADING than "partial sponsorship"

They would gain more public approval here... even here yes.
They would profit more... simply because they would have made a straight offer with little confusion. More people would be interested in an offer like that rather than saying it were "sponsored"

Drag, (a 4 year old company? I don't have any 411 on Drag) might need to invest in a better marketing program.

Good Luck...
Old 01-03-2005, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Terrible deal. I hope no one considers doing this. "partial" sponsorship? And paying for it too? What a freaking ripoff.

For developing a SC/TC, you should be getting the kit free with at least some promise that they will stand behind a new motor if they blow yours up.

Quick Reply: Drag Turbo Needs a Stock TC