Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Ebay was a bad choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Ebay was a bad choice

I have bought many parts for my vehicles ,including intakes, from ebay in the past and never had a problem. So i didnt think much of ordering an ebay CAI for my new tc. Well the package arrived today and after work i was excited to instal it. Well after i got my bumper off(also to do grill inserts) and the CAI all hooked i went to attach my mass flow sensor. Well this was dissappointing becuase the bolt patter didnt match up. I found a way to seal the gap to try to make it run until i can get a new one in, but when i went to start the car, it started and died immediatly. Then i started it again nd held the throttle down and it was pulsing really bad. Well i turned it off and called it a night. I am still waiting to hear back from the company to see what they will do before i go posting there info on here. I also doubled checked the part numbers and they "sent me the right one." I hope you guys are having better luck and for the record, i am in the process of ordereing a new Injen CAI.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what year do you have? the 07 tc changed the MAF sensor on it. they might have sent you the earlier models. yeah you needa talk to them and get you the right one. check at stillen they have good prices and you'll get the right one. watch out for the 2nd pipe. it's hell gettin it in... if you don't know how. looks like you got it in. hopefully no scratches.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yah it was hell getting this one in, and i scratched the hell out of the lower pipe, but it is an 07. i bet they didnt account for that, even though they listed it as an 07. Thanks, i will be sure to bring that up when i get aold of them
Old 03-08-2007, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah I'll bet they sold you the wrong year.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah you got a 05-06 intake. Just a suggestion for you, if you want to get parts for your car this is the best place to find them and the best prices. Almost every company in the Sponsored sales section is on the up & up and will work with you most times.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Why was it so hard getting in? I have installed a tC CAI removing only the left front wheel and plastic inner fender (I still cant see why the bumper is coming off.. it is not needed) in 30 minutes. Very very easy install. Did they majorly change something in the 07 fender well area???
Old 03-08-2007, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

engifineer, no they didn't. I installed mine as my first real car mod and it took me about 1.5 hours. If I did it again it would probably take me 30-45 mins.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^x2... BTW, the car is SUPPOSED to shut immediately off after the first start after the battery was off... Afterward, it may run rough for the first 200 miles or so... shouldn't be that bad after like 20 mi... It probably isn't good to hold the throttle down right away the first start up either... just mo
Old 03-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mitchelltc1
^x2... BTW, the car is SUPPOSED to shut immediately off after the first start after the battery was off... Afterward, it may run rough for the first 200 miles or so... shouldn't be that bad after like 20 mi... It probably isn't good to hold the throttle down right away the first start up either... just mo

What? Since when is that normal?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by josh_trdsparks

What? Since when is that normal?
same here, never heard of that one...
Old 03-08-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah that's not normal. you should disconnect the battery for 10 min then start it up. that way you'll reset the ecu. either that or start it up and let it idle for 10 min. i think the only reason he has that problem is cuz it's the wrong year intake. but yeah the instructions weren't that clear and i wasn't smart enough to come check here how to get it in. and i scratched it pretty bad. btw that rubber thing would be great if it actually stayed on so i wouldn't get those scratches.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hey guys,
heres another update. i tookt he bumper off si i could also do grill inserts on both the lower grill and the upper grill. It was hard to fit in cuz it sat so hi on the bracket, it rubs on the hole in the fender. This is not my first CAI install, but this is by far th most annoying i have ever done. Also i didnt hold the throttle down while starting it, i held it after is starred becuase it wants to stall immediatly. But now i have to send them pics of the CAI installed so they can see the problem, but like you al said, it was the wrong yr piping. Thanks for the input and i will let yuou all know how the return process goes, and once it is complete i will let you all know the company and CAI info.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah,, the car should run just fine after removing the battery. You can let it sit with no battery for days, put a battery in and it will run just fine.

Glad you are on the right track now, just make sure they take care of it on thier dime and not yours.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ok now i am even more pisted off, So i sealed the mass air sensor to see if it would work, and no still the same problem. Then i took it off completely and it worked just fine. Then i put my stock one on, and it still worked just fine.... WTF is wrong, other than i bought an ebay filter, is there something i am missing??????
Old 03-09-2007, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If the Maf is not sealed completely like the stock one, then I can pretty much guarantee it won't work at all. If it's an 06 on an 07 or vice versa, it won't be sealed all the way and therefore will not work.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:08 AM
SL Member

i had the same problem with ebay.. the bolts didnt line up so i made a bracket and double sided tape around it and it works just fine.