Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ecu?

Does anyone know if there are any performance chips made for the tc? What is the ecu thats used in the tc?
Old 12-23-2004, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Only thing you can really do right now is an SAFC2, Greddy Emanage, a Field system, HKS fuel computer, apexi fuel computer. Basically all piggy backs that work with MAF vehicles will work. You'll see gains if you went from there and had it dyno tuned.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So no one actually makes a good performance chip? All of them are just universal ones?
Old 12-23-2004, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

please let me know when a performance chip is out
Old 12-25-2004, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'd really like to see a reprogrammed ECU. Some aggressive fuel/ignition maps would be nice. Also take into account the VVT-I is controlled by the ECU and so is the Throttle! A more aggressive throttle map would be very very nice Take care of the little bits of lag you get at wide open.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you really want to experience proper gains, a simple mail in or plug in upgrade isn't best.

Buy a Greddy emanage or standalone system, and have it professionally dyno tuned.

The greddy emanage will not perform as well if you only use the main harness. You can buy the ignition, injector, and pressure harness if you want to monitor and alter it all. The system is somewhat quirky but puts out nice gains when set up properly. Hopefully AEM comes out with an EMS for our car. The 2 stage adjustable rev limiter is a must at the drags, helps out a ton.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys play way too many video games. Those plug'n'play chips are a ripoff. No tuning shop has ever just plugged in a chip and said "here we go, more power!" They're all dyno tuned and tested and what works for someone's car won't work for everyone else's car. There's a lot of variables in tuning a car - more so than just the type of car. Elevation, fuel used, what other engine mods the car has...

Obviously a car that usually runs 93 octane fuel and is at sea level with an aftermarket I/H/E
Old 12-31-2004, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is going to be totally different than a car that someone runs 87 octane in at 4000 ft above sea level and has an otherwise completely stock engine.

ECU tuning isn't plug and play for everyone. Tuning a real car isn't like in video games... it's a lot more expensive and there's a lot more involved than just "get it on eBay, plug it in, and let's go!"
Old 12-31-2004, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who are you referring to?

Tuning by a professional is all I said so hopefull you're referring to the post about the performance chip.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If there is a good performance chip out there, when you get it chipped they will ask you what mods you have, what mods are to come. I just didn't know if anyone actually made a good chip. I am aware that elevation,octane, etc matters. Thats the good thing about fuel injection the ecu learns as it goes and adjust where it needs to.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The ECU will learn to an extent... it's basically told to adjust itself a bit but it can't really make intelligent decisions... that's why some of the better turbo kits out there come with either new ECU programs or new ECUs all together. The first one that pops into my mind is the Eddlebrock kit for the SOHC D-series Honda engines.

A computer learning to compensate for some insignificant mod like an intake on a 4 cyl engine is one thing - but compensating for something like boost is totally different.

If your car is totally bone stock, the ECU is the last thing you should worry about messing with. Start with the essentials first and then go from there. When your car gets to the point where you NEED ECU tuning you'll know it.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by i64X
The ECU will learn to an extent... it's basically told to adjust itself a bit but it can't really make intelligent decisions... that's why some of the better turbo kits out there come with either new ECU programs or new ECUs all together. The first one that pops into my mind is the Eddlebrock kit for the SOHC D-series Honda engines.

A computer learning to compensate for some insignificant mod like an intake on a 4 cyl engine is one thing - but compensating for something like boost is totally different.

If your car is totally bone stock, the ECU is the last thing you should worry about messing with. Start with the essentials first and then go from there. When your car gets to the point where you NEED ECU tuning you'll know it.
Well said. I agree 100%.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well duh. Sorry to put it like that but anytime you boost you need to upgrade the ecu. Stock ecu;s can do a lot more than you think. On the civic I had I had a cai/62mm tb/4-2-1 header/2.5" catback/advaced my base timing 6 degrees/ changed my intake mani to a bigger one. My lil civic would run.