Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

emission legal exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 08:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default emission legal exhaust

i'm a total newb when it comes to exhaust systems. I was shopping around for an exhaust system in the range of $300-$500. I came accross a lot of descriptions that said "ENGINE CHECK LIGHT WILL GO ON"... I'm not sure what they mean by that. Does this mean the exhaust system does not include a catalytic converter... therefore I won't pass inspection? Also any recommendations on what kind of exhaust I should get? I care more about performance gain than anything else.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i don't think any of the exhausts-axleback or catback would cause a CEL. the axlebacks would also be fine for emissions. if u're looking for a catback, i believe the only one that isn't emissions legal is the one from precision muffler. creative compacts gives u the option of getting their exhaust with a high flow cat and i'm pretty sure draxas is also emission legal. for a little bit more than $500 you can go full catback. if draxas ever gets their crap together, they might be a viable option-i've just had all types of problems speaking to them, getting them to return my calls-and this is after i bought and paid for their exhaust. i've since canceled my order and bought the creative compacts full catback, which i'm waiting for right now.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

remember... tampering or the removal of a perfectly working cat is considered... uhh well somthing bad and they will fine u and stuff like that. just thought i'd let ya know
Old 06-18-2005, 12:51 AM

make sure the converter you get is California OBD2 Smog legal or else Cali is out of the pic.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

I don't see why a an exhaust system (unless you are redoing everythng from the S pipe back) should cause a CEL. Headers are known to do that though. Maybe you got em mixed up?