Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Engine squeak when press gas pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Engine squeak when press gas pedal?

Hey guys, so recently i noticed a squeaking noise coming from my engine when i pressed on the gas pedal about half way or more to the floor. It seems to happen every time i shift as i press the gas back in. kinda sounds like im turbo'd cause of the pssshhhhh . my first thought was maybe it was something with my gas pedal, but when the car is off and i press the gas there is no squeak, which is what leaves me to believe it is something with the throttle body/engine? Also i have a Injen CAI installed (setup as SRI) if that helps.

I just wanted to get everyone else opinion before i take it in to the dealer and pay money if its really simple.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is your car a manual because if it is, it sounds like the clutch squeak a lot of people get and I have had before.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car whistles at specific throttle position. Sounds normal.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It could be your motor mounts!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ08tC
is your car a manual because if it is, it sounds like the clutch squeak a lot of people get and I have had before.
yeah I know what your talking about, with the throw out bearing right? I had that problem too a few weeks ago and I fixed it with some grease. but I k ow this isn't my clutch because it still happens even if I'm just cruising around and step on the gas to speed up.

also, vlad it's not really a whistle. it's a short squeak noise (seriously reminds me a little of bov pssshh). I don't know how else to explain it?

and if it is my motor mounts how can I check that? but I'm still confused how that would cause the squeak?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed a similar sound on my xb after I installed an aftermarket intake. Do you think that could be it?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had that sound when I stupidly mismounted the intake and it wasn't on the throttle body all the way.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 07ohiotc
yeah I know what your talking about, with the throw out bearing right? I had that problem too a few weeks ago and I fixed it with some grease. but I k ow this isn't my clutch because it still happens even if I'm just cruising around and step on the gas to speed up.

also, vlad it's not really a whistle. it's a short squeak noise (seriously reminds me a little of bov pssshh). I don't know how else to explain it?

and if it is my motor mounts how can I check that? but I'm still confused how that would cause the squeak?
It is a high pitched whistle that sound a hell of a lot like a bov. It happens at a very specific throttle position and if you can hold the throttle there you can clearly hear that it's a whistle. The stock airbox muffles it so you can only hear it with a cai.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bamapolar
I noticed a similar sound on my xb after I installed an aftermarket intake. Do you think that could be it?
i think that could be the problem, it seems to be connected if you ask me

but oh really hayseed? maybe mine is just coming lose around the throttle body? i might try losing it and pushing it over the throttle body again and re-tightening it.

but vlad, i think we may be talking about the same thing. i havent held the gas in place to have it whistle like what your talking about. I'm going to try that tomorrow and see if it does if so it could be normal? or still something witht he throttle body
Old 06-02-2010, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay so i just went out and looked at everything, and my intake is all installed properly. but i checked when i revved a little bit (not to much since car wasnt completely warmed up) but it sounds like its almost the air going through the filter. I also have the injen hydroshield on my filter, could this be the cause of the squeak? the air passing through that and the filter? but if it is this, how come i havent heard this for the 5 months ive had my intake on, and only start now?
Old 06-02-2010, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 07ohiotc
...how come i havent heard this for the 5 months ive had my intake on, and only start now?
Did it recently get warm enough to roll down the windows?

if it sounds like a little whistle with an occasional chirp sound, thats normal. I swear Scion modified the throttle body to sound cool from the factory.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:20 AM
SL Member

I agree with what everyone else is saying with the aftermarket intake noise. I loved the little chirp/squel it gave under bliping the gas or even just slowly accelerating from when i was at a constant sound. But when i was harder on the gas it didnt make the chirping. More at like a cruse speed
Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 AM

I have that clutch squeek, whats the fix for that?
(sry to interrupt on your question lol)
Old 06-02-2010, 08:37 AM

I am pretty sure the little chirp under light acceleration is the VVT-i. It is more pronounced with an aftermarket intake so it will be louder but it is normal with our cars and cars with the same engine.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright thanks everyone for your replies! im pretty confident now that its just normal due to my intake. and yes it did get warmer out to roll down my windows!

but -bug- may i suggest searching the forms? hah but no really all you need to do is buy some white lithium grease and spray it into the little boot at the from of the transmission (theres a post here that has pictures of what im talking about for reference, just gotta search for it)
Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vlad1024
It is a high pitched whistle that sound a hell of a lot like a bov. It happens at a very specific throttle position and if you can hold the throttle there you can clearly hear that it's a whistle. The stock airbox muffles it so you can only hear it with a cai.
I'd agree with this, I get that whistle between 2k and 3k RPM (Injen SRI)
Old 10-21-2012, 07:51 PM

Hey Guys, after reading all of the posts on squeaking I too have a question about this. I just took mine out today and she was chirping when I hit the gas pedal, not too loud but a very timely chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp, I guess just loud enough to annoy me, lol (I hear every little noise that's not "normal")

To further test I took her out of gear and nothing. I pushed on the gas and there's the chirp again. Same thing when my foot's off the gas, but I'm still in gear slowing down.

I parked her, popped the hood, gave the throttle some gas and it wouldn't chirp in park but I did notice a knock coming from what seems to be the top left motor mount that sits near the alternator. I recently had that and the lower mount replaced so I am considering giving the bolts an inspection to see if they can be tightened up any.

I just wanted to get some more opinions on this because I've read a lot of squeak/chirp issues elsewhere. Very few however when it's just gas pedal pressing related.

I do however have a little squeak when I press the clutch down to change gears, that's been going on since about day one that I've had her.