Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Engine swap advice, and a eulogy

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by CDogbert
@equinox: That's crap. You might as well just buy a whole new car for that much.
Oh I knew it was, thats why I took my car elsewhere. I think all they wanted me to do was "trade in what was left" of my car and buy a new one..... fat chance.

And the dealers wonder why we (consumers) don't like to trust them sometimes....

Dublin Toyota
Old 09-30-2009, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gonna necro my own thread here...

Yes, it's still dead. I just now got enough money to be able to finance fixing it. However!

Because of the class I'm going to run in SCCA (Solo HS), I need to know exactly how a Camry motor would differ from an '07 tC motor. Quite literally, every part number has to match between the engines, or it's illegal.

Can anyone give me any insight on this?
Old 09-30-2009, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The motors are identical. I've used a camry and tC enegine my car. I don't know anything about autocross but will the differing VIN numbers on the block make it illegal?
Old 09-30-2009, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VIN numbers won't, but part number discrepancies will.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by equinox2355

And the dealers wonder why we (consumers) don't like to trust them sometimes....

he races the car and the motor blew, you wonder why dealers don't trust some customers sometimes. i understand where your coming from but we get this at my dealership all the time. people dick around with their car and end up breaking ____ and expect us to fix it for free. of course sometimes we do out of goodwill but you can't expect that all the time. and yes, we have replaced motors for people who have gone wayyy past 5k on oil changes. you have to see where they're comming from also.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TcPrincess
he races the car and the motor blew, you wonder why dealers don't trust some customers sometimes. i understand where your coming from but we get this at my dealership all the time. people dick around with their car and end up breaking ____ and expect us to fix it for free. of course sometimes we do out of goodwill but you can't expect that all the time. and yes, we have replaced motors for people who have gone wayyy past 5k on oil changes. you have to see where they're comming from also.
I think he was talking more about how they wanted to charge him $13k for a new engine.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

if you would like i can get a 2azfe for ya...however thes blocks are only good for rebuilding. I have one right now thats from an 09 camry, iv torn it down and everything looks the same as the tc so far.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

In 05, people found that the rod bearings were different between the camry motor and the tC motor. I think I remember hearing that on later camry's the bearings were the same. So depending on the year model of he camry motor you are looking at, those part numbers may be different.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eulogy my ___! One crankshaft (and related parts) later, it's alive again.

The culprits:
Name:  IMG00185.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  39.4 KB

The water pump was also shot, and the brake pads and rotors have rotted from sitting in two wet Missouri seasons... but it lives!
Old 10-17-2009, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ yup that's the same thing that happened with the 05's, crankshaft and main bearing issues! That's why in 06 even if the owner's manual said to use 5w-30 oil a service bulletin came up that said to switch to 5w-20 oil! Toyota knew there was a problem and switched the oil to avoid further issues, even though the "official" reason is "fuel economy" ha! that's toyota's legal team working for ya!

How come your dealer didn't find this to be the reason instead of recommending a new engine? I'm really suspicious of them if they were only trying to get more $$$ by lying like that.. How did you find exactly what was wrong?

Since the part numbers (as far as I've seen) and engines are the same for 05 and 06, why not think about switching to 5w-20 oil to make sure it doesn't die again?

Anyone want to add to this? Why couldn't he use 5w-20 and further lessen the wear on the new bearings/crankshaft? Anyone know?
Old 10-18-2009, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you ever considered putting in a 3S-GE or maybe even a 3S-GTE into the TC?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
Toyota knew there was a problem and switched the oil to avoid further issues, even though the "official" reason is "fuel economy" ha! that's toyota's legal team working for ya!

How come your dealer didn't find this to be the reason instead of recommending a new engine? I'm really suspicious of them if they were only trying to get more $$$ by lying like that.. How did you find exactly what was wrong?
Had the crankshaft etc. replaced.

I'm going to say that if Toyota is going to deny deny deny, then every dealer is going to deny deny deny, too.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If it happens again and you're willing to gamble a little bit, why not buy a used motor and have a non-toyota shop put it in (or DIY if you have friends with an engine lift). I've had to replace my motor because of this, and my friend did the same with his tC. you should be able to find something cheap here:

http://www.car-part.com

If you want a more certified used engine, check on Jasper engines, they do full rebuilds on used.

http://www.jasperengines.com/index.php
Old 10-19-2009, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CDogbert
Had the crankshaft etc. replaced.

I'm going to say that if Toyota is going to deny deny deny, then every dealer is going to deny deny deny, too.
no i know you had the crankshaft replaced.. I was reading earlier. I meant how did they find and who found what was wrong with the engine?

First it was a whole new engine was needed, but now it's just the crankshaft. So what happened between needing a whole new engine and just a crankshaft?

Last edited by sciontc_mich; 10-19-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
If it happens again and you're willing to gamble a little bit, why not buy a used motor and have a non-toyota shop put it in (or DIY if you have friends with an engine lift).
I was originally going to go this route. However, one of the service people tipped me off to a mechanic in the service bay with an '07 tC engine. What he wanted to take it off his hands and put it in was the same price that I would have paid for an engine myself and had a non-Toyota shop install it, so I opted for the former.

I only had the crank replaced because I had to have every number in the engine match for racing, which wouldn't have happened had I opted for the full swap. I ended up saving some money on parts just going for the crank ___'y, but the time it took to replace the crank (21 hours according to alldata, and that's if you can just take a new one out of a box) made it end up cost exactly the same.

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
I meant how did they find and who found what was wrong with the engine?

First it was a whole new engine was needed, but now it's just the crankshaft. So what happened between needing a whole new engine and just a crankshaft?
They had to take the block apart to figure out just what was damaged and how damaged it was (e.g. were the rods shot, too). The labor cost to do this would have been quite high, from what I was told, so they were originally opting to just do a new engine.

Last edited by CDogbert; 10-19-2009 at 06:08 PM.