Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

equal lenght manifold and turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldman
how much?

All kind of funny when you ask one of these "experts" to plot the flow line of his turbo and the thread goes to hell. We all know that these large turbo are not streetable and ain't boosting at 2500 RPM as the "experts" have posted...

You know what it is, these guys have been trolling their "skills" for a while and have never been taken to task. Just look at the sandbag link, um the "expert" says it is wheel HP while the picture of the actual dyno says "flywheel" but don't bother the experts with the facts.

How much HP does a turbo actually use say ZPI stage 0? maybe 10 HP in total, so how much are you getting by pulse spacing, smooth tubes etc? Sure some cause of less pulse fighting and we have the Honda VTEC dyno showing one HP
all kinds of funny when someone realizes that I have mapped out all calculations before I even purchased the turbo. Whoa imagine that, I did some ____ing research about the parts i put on my car and the manifold i wanted for the car. I did extensive research on the vendor i purchased all parts from.

my old setup, that turbo was from Forced Performance, I too talked to Robert for his recommendations for my honda, He recommended for my then 300whp goal on pump gas, that I go for the t3/t4oe, 60 trim with stage 5 wheel and 360 degree thrust bearing. WOW, i know people within the industry too....
Old 06-22-2005, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When i was looking for 500whp car this time, I called Rod Short @ Precision Turbo and asked for his recommendations. I told Rod that I wanted a 4-bolt turbine housing, Precision had never done that before, they had always just bought a Garrett housing and put it on thier turbo. They started to make thier own housing and I have the first Precision 4-bolt turbine housing for a t3 now. I have a turbo they recommended over the SC61, aka GT3561e, in order to meet the horsepower I was seeking. I chose a topmount turbo manifold for multiple reasons.

1. the ability to keep the merge collector as a low merge angle.
2. to have a perfectly positioned turbo compressor for a backdoor intercooler setup to cut down on intercooler piping.
3. to keep the Oil return line as straight as possible in to the moroso oil pan.

Believe it or not, I actually did a ____load of research before just bolting ____ onto my car.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so we now know that your "car" also has no A/C? and you have 8K on that turbo so that is some sort of longevity proof I don't know about stolen as last I check the DSM was not in high demand, you can buy one form the owner almost as cheap as you could stal one.

Like I said I have what I consider a street car and you have what you consider a street car. On my A/C street car with $2400 into it a log manifold is just fine and I want more then 100K before my turbo melts off hopefully 150K from the turbo and 200K from the drivetrain.

You for some reason think a trailer queen race car shows that you know something about longevity. I say the OEM knows, and some common sense one can build a street car. To pretend your car is anything other then a race car only makes you sound silly IMO. You will note I want to see a picture of your "car" so I can decided if it is a "car". I have no doubt that your "car" makes above 500 WHP. I have every doubt that I would consider it a car. The last time I've had a roadside breakdown, tow home on a drivetrain failure over say 500,000 miles was um um um... I burned a valve head off a N20 / turbo GS-R in 1994, I blew the intake manifold off on a miss shift on a 88 CRX in 1988, I busted the flywheel off my Corolla 3TG in 1978. My Camaro, VW, two Volvos, Corolla, tC, all have had ZERO drivetrain failures over the last 7 almost 8 years and no failures at all outside the normal VW crap...

I have had street driven turbo cars since the 70s I have learned a whole lot about them. I have seen youth think that the older guys don't know anything. Fools go where wisemen fear to tread.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your bud Robert at FP? Funny you just took a quote right off his website. I've probably talked to Robert more than you, and it's just casually when I order parts.

If we are getting into a who's dick is bigger, my 2003 Tacoma Crew Cab is completly paid off which I bought brand new with cash, as well as my Talon in the garage. No credit cards here. The truck is one color, and the Talon is as well, other than the factory black roof and wing.

Hand fabricated turbo from Germany? LoL!! PUT DOWN THE MAGAZINE. This is getting good. I don't think I've heard a better line than this lately.

Trailer Queens? I drove my car to the local track last year and never once went home on a trailer. I plan on doing the same this year, and I frequently drive my car around town.

I also had an 99 Integra for 2 years, never once had a problem with it. Using your logic of stolen Honda engines, I guess my engine is stolen as well since the VIN's don't match. Oh wait, I just put a different block in it.

The only point you have that holds water is that your Scion will show little to no gains on 10psi by going to a tubular manifold. Everything else, all your talk abou theft, non-AC, surging and melting turbines, you have no idea. Why don't you start posting up pictures of melted turbines on a 4 banger, instead of us having to prove it doesn't happen. The door swings both ways..
Old 06-22-2005, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Robert knows about turbo failure and he likes to upgrade the thrust bearing.

Now if I went with the EVo then I would look into the white rabbit, Robert's old shop is about 5 miles from my work.

A turbo driven into surge will fail, nothing can be more true, the blades can melt, the shaft can snap, the bearings take funny loads as the flow walks back and forth during the surge event hence the upgraded thrust. A streetable turbo that will go 100+ must address these problems and more.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Guys... really....

Looking through the posts on this thread alone (not to mention this argument was moved from somewhere else... so this isnt all of it) and conservatively guessing on the time each response would take you guys have probably spent 2 - 3 hours a peice on this in the last week or so!!! Again, I am not taking anyones side, as the stories and argument have just gone crazy it seems, but DAMN this has drug out!
Old 06-22-2005, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by turbo2liter
If we are getting into a who's dick is bigger.....
Originally Posted by seen4ever
Whoa imagine that, I did some ____ing research
If you want to post on Scion life, regardless of content, please do so within the rules. They *clearly* state no profanity, including mispelling it.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've probably talked to Robert more than you, and it's just casually when I order parts.
I sincerely believe you do indeed order far more turbo parts then I do.

If we are getting into a who's dick is bigger,
Clearly it was you that started off on that tangent, with your 500+ HP "car" whatever hawn and my “car” sans A/C and stripped out is so fast that I know everything about turbo performance even though the topic is small cam sub 10 PSI boost, something your “car” does not have, hence your need to show your dick, which proved little about the subject under discussion.

Hand fabricated turbo from Germany? LoL!! PUT DOWN THE MAGAZINE. This is getting good. I don't think I've heard a better line than this lately.
My steet car? Sorry I’ll leave the A/C killing turbo bling manifold to you guys. The turbo core was made in Germany, I hand fabricated the pipes, and had the housings milled and the wheel clipped and hand built the down pipe, and fabricated the lines too.

Trailer Queens? I drove my car to the local track last year and never once went home on a trailer. I plan on doing the same this year, and I frequently drive my car around town.
I’m sure it is, immortal turbo, immortal car. Works for me. Bet the hood is welded shut too?

I also had an 99 Integra for 2 years, never once had a problem with it. Using your logic of stolen Honda engines, I guess my engine is stolen as well since the VIN's don't match. Oh wait, I just put a different block in it.
I’m sure that was a JDM block too LOL, poor guy down your street.. the one with the stolen Integra.
The only point you have that holds water is that your Scion will show little to no gains on 10psi by going to a tubular manifold.
Oh you mean the topic of the thread. Why yes I know that.
Everything else, all your talk abou theft
I have show from the link GS-R number one car stolen in NJ, Cvic DOHC number 3, all stolen for their drivetrains by Civic owners. Repeat thought the nation.
non-AC,
At least two of the tag team boy's cars have no A/C in support of a tubular manifold that is a fact. LOL
surging
A well know fact that destroys turbo chargers. Hence the OEM turbo makers provide maps which clearly indicate if the turbo will be in surge. But I forgot you got 8K on your current what number is that 5th maybe 10th turbo, so you know all about street longevity due to direct experience in a kind of anti-longevity way. Kind of like a 2 pack a day smoker telling me how long he is going to live AFTER he quits.
and melting turbines, you have no idea.
Your correct, my turbochargers are all working many of them going over 100K.
Why don't you start posting up pictures of melted turbines on a 4 banger, instead of us having to prove it doesn't happen. The door swings both ways..
All true except for that I have ever OEM car maker doing the same thing small turbo for the street, Robert with his super expensive white rabbit turbo, and ALL turbo OEM all stating or by application implying that it is very very bad to drive a turbo into surge. A significant problem on 1.6 to 1.8 VTECH DOHC engines with large turbo, do you have one of those? Or do you have a 2.0 Mitsu no VTECH?
Old 06-22-2005, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Guys... really....

Looking through the posts on this thread alone (not to mention this argument was moved from somewhere else... so this isnt all of it) and conservatively guessing on the time each response would take you guys have probably spent 2 - 3 hours a peice on this in the last week or so!!! Again, I am not taking anyones side, as the stories and argument have just gone crazy it seems, but DAMN this has drug out!
I'm a fast typer I figure it takes me about a few minutes a post. I'll let you know if I need a tag team. You can train as backup.

What is the outcome of the whole thread? Well just like I said in the very first post, um equal length turbo manifold on tC sub 10 PSI makes no sense.

I prefer a cast flowed log.

There is some power to be found on large cam engines like the DOHC VTEC
Old 06-22-2005, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad

SL Member

If you guys can't act like adults don't post up.

locked!
Old 06-22-2005, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad

SL Member

If you guys can't act like adults don't post up.

locked!