Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Factory Scion tC SuperCharged

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Factory Scion tC SuperCharged

Scion will offer a supercharged version of its tC sport coupe.

In an interview with Automotive News after his presentation at the J.D. Power and Associates International Automotive Roundtable on Friday, Scion Vice President Jim Farley said the model should arrive around April.

The tC will be the first vehicle sold by Toyota in the United States that will get a supercharged model produced by the factory, Farley said.

The Toyota racing division added superchargers to some Matrix wagon models as an aftermarket accessory, he said.

The tC "will be the first one from scratch," Farley said.

Scion, Toyota's youth division, was introduced in select markets in 2003 and rolled out nationally last year. The tC, which went on sale last fall, is its third nameplate.

The tC produces 160 hp, he said. The xA and xB hatchback models each make 108 hp.

Farley would not say how much more horsepower the supercharged model will make.

The division decided to add the model because 30 percent of respondents to an online survey said they would like a supercharged version, he said.

"We had no idea it would be that popular," Farley said.

In 2004, 99,259 Scions were sold. Farley projects sales of 120,000 units in 2005: 40 percent tC, 40 percent xB and 20 percent xA.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101717
Old 02-01-2005, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry if it was posted before - I could not find it. This is actually pretty good news, when they are doing it straight in the factory, it allows them to change other things as well at low cost. IE things like better/wider rubber, 6 speed, reinforced engine, more equipment, etc, etc, etc are all possible at much lower cost.

Thats pretty cool and I really like how Scion exec's are moving Toyota in right direction....
Old 02-01-2005, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member

there's a 6 page sticky all about the s/c in the power hungy (tc) section. still, its good to have additional sources backing up what has been said in there by some of the scion reps :D
Old 02-02-2005, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, this is an new model, not TRD SC (which will be accessory). It will come with SC directly from factory, and should have stayed in general section ;-)
Old 02-02-2005, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member

yup. the new model has been diiscussed. its a vortech centrifugal supercharger, and there are pics on page 5 or 6.

its not a new "model" of tc, its just a factory/dealer option, but hey, thats media misquoting for you
Old 02-02-2005, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am not sure if we are understanding each other here - Farley said it is an new model, it is not dealer added accessory like in Matrix... It will be built in Factory in Japan.

:-)
Old 02-02-2005, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

There are some ads I have seen in Sport Compact Car, Modified, etc. for the "Supercharged tC" what sure make it seem like they intend to have a factory-built SC model available.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The whole concept of scion is Simple Car with MANY dealer options SC being one of them. Sure they may be promoting as a SuperCharged tC but don't you think toyota would market it as a GT or Type S etc...

Sure TRD makes superchargers for some of their cars but toyota doesnt promote it as part of their car new.

I highly doubt they will be changing anything with the exception of adding the SC kit that anyone else can buy and have installed at the dealer.

I really thing this is just the media misquoting
Old 02-02-2005, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

there are only two options you can get on the TC from the factory, side airbags and what transmission. I'm sure the meaning is that this will be a third option to have on the vehicle when it is being built rather than installing them at the dealerships. Obviously it can be added later at a dealership but I'm sure the cost of installation will be nullified if you get it installed when it's being built. I know all my options were installed port-side and I didn't pay installation on anything.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member

"The tC will be the first vehicle sold by Toyota in the United States that will get a supercharged model produced by the factory, Farley said."

Mr. Farley seems to have forgotten the 1988-89 MR2 Supercharged as well as the Supercharged Previa minivan.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am not sure if we are understanding each other here - Farley said it is an new model, it is not dealer added accessory like in Matrix... It will be built in Factory in Japan.

:-)
After reading the article it does sound that way but that would mean there would be a new model of tC this April. I am leaning towards it being a dealer installed option or at the very least available as an option to current tC owners.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is just the way one author interperets the facts. if i see it from another mag or 2 i'll start believing it. Until then i'm going to assume it's just a misquote. Doesn't really matter to me much considering i already own my tc
Old 02-02-2005, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member

i think the best explaination of this is what octane said. it will simply be an option that is installed at the factory, along with the side airbags and tranny.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, you guys dont like reading too much do you? It is pretty clear it is an new model, and he confirms that in the interview... Ignorance is a bliss :-). We will see more news soon...
Old 02-06-2005, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A Supercharged model will most likely have a 6 speed tranny. NICE
Old 02-08-2005, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member

I knew I'd been holding off for a reason!
Old 02-08-2005, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

In the new Modified Mag (the one with the Nitto tC on the cover ) there is a scion ad with the new "solar yellow" xB Release Series 2.0 on the front and when you flip it out there is a pic of 2 tC's racing and the caption is 2005 tC with supercharger. And in the fine print it says "Optional TRD supercharger price is expected to be under $4000 installed (TBD)" It goes on to say that the SC is a TRD aftermarket part and is not warranted by Scion. It is however warranted by TRD.

Just a little info i thought would help.