Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Factory Warranty Affected?[Weapon R intake and Megan header]

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Factory Warranty Affected?[Weapon R intake and Megan header]

The Weapon R intake and Megan Racing Header installed in the tC, affected the warranty?
Old 04-05-2005, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

did it wreak your car? if not then no if so and the cause was the headers and intake then yes it will void
Old 04-05-2005, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i asm pretty sure that by bolting up an aftermarket parts not distributed by toyota or TRD, and installed by a dealership, that you are officially voiding your warantee.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you are only voiding the warranty on the part you change
Old 04-05-2005, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

if you installed them already then why ask now....

here, all your warranty questions answered here
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55338
Old 04-05-2005, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by BOXED N
technically this is not true, the part you change has a warranty from it manufacture.
the part you took off still is covered under its warranty...its just not on the car anymore...
Old 04-05-2005, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgHotLava
if you installed them already then why ask now....

here, all your warranty questions answered here
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55338
wow so if you replace a part with aftermarket parts, the warantee is not voided? wow, because I thought that the warantee would be voided because since you are replacing a part that was not manufactured and designed by the company, they can no longer promise the performance of their product due to the aftermarket unknown factor.

So as long as they can't connect your aftermarket parts to the problem on your vehicle, you are in the clear!
Old 04-05-2005, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow... why does this subject keep coming up?

truth is............ putting aftermarket parts on does not direclty void your warranty until it is proven that the aftermarket part was the cause of whatever damage occured, at which point they can refuse to do the warranty work on that part. however, if at some other time, damage occurs that can not be linked to the aftermarket part, they still have to work on it. so it doesnt really void the warranty, it just excludes parts that would normaly be covered under the warranty.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BOXED N
technically this is not true, the part you change has a warranty from it manufacture.
the part you took off still is covered under its warranty...its just not on the car anymore...

The question was regarding the factory warranty, meaning from Toyota. So if you change the exhaust with HKS & you have problems with the muffler Toyota can't do anything about it. But yes, call HKS.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

technically ur warranty shouldnt be voided unless the parts themselves were responsible for causing the damage. i installed my weapon r intake and called the dealership around my house about it. i didn't mention to them that i had installed it yet, just that i bought it. they told me that they'd been installing the K&N CAI's and would warranty them since they installed it-technically they shouldn't have even installed it. they said they'd do the same for the weapon r for me. if i had them install it they'd cover me since they put the damn thing in and if it caused problems they couldn't say i screwed up the install or whatever. basically i took out the weapon r, put the stock intake back on, went to scion and had them reinstall the weapon r. cost me $60, but i think it's well worth it. the dealership by my house has also put in b&m short throws and all types of other stuff. they're service dept and body shop is sick. i just had them put on the lip spoiler for me for $65-no tax. i got it for $250 from their parts dept and paid for the install. still saved like $70 off retail. the $250 was cheaper than anywhere online too.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow that sounds great , wish the dealers around here went about doing things that way. I really want to purchase the Alphawerks headers but my only concerns are warranty issues. If they install the headers and i dont lose my powertrain warranty im sold. Can anyone else confirm this. If this is the case then we can freely buy and have the dealer install the aftermarket parts without the fear of voiding your powertrain warranty.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the dealer will not install your aftermarket parts...
but you can have aftermaket stuff installed on your car without voiding your warranty...its the law..the burdon of proof is on the dealership to prove that your aftermarket part caused the problem...
Old 06-14-2005, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Technically they cannot void your warranty until they prove that the aftermarket part caused the car to fail/or be problematic. For example, if you have a turbo and a piston goes through the head(hypothetically) then they will not warranty the car. However, if you have an exhaust system and your motor develops a "knock" they CANNOT void your warranty without PROOF that the part caused the damage. It is against the law, the Magnuson-Moss act protects the tuners from all of that technicallity crap. I had a new 01 eclipse and my headlight harness fried and they tried to blame it on the intake pipe. I shoved a copy of that Magnuson-Moss right in their face and told them that they had better be prepared to prove that in court cause that is where their ___ was headed if they didn't fix it (car was 2 weeks old at the time). That shut them up real fast. I got my car fixed and a free upgrade to a 5 year extended warranty. DO NOT let a dealership fool you. Cause no matter how nice the people or salesmen are to you, if they think that they can get away with voiding it without you causing legal action, they WILL DO IT! So be carefull and always carry a copy of that act with you when you fight crap like this! So TUNE ON FELLOW SCION OWNERS....TUNE ON!
P.S. - Here is a website to read up on it http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm
Old 06-14-2005, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the dealer will not install your aftermarket parts...
but you can have aftermaket stuff installed on your car without voiding your warranty...its the law..the burdon of proof is on the dealership to prove that your aftermarket part caused the problem...
Not true lava, my dealer installed my Alphawerks header for 100 bucks i know its expensive but worth it, plus i got it on paper saying (the installation of this product was performed by toyota therefore warranty is not affected). Just a little peace of mind, but i guess some dealers will install aftermarket parts others will not.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah-my dealership told me they'd do the same thing with the headers that casanova's dealer did. i had them install my intake as well. i installed it, then on a whim called the dealership up to ask them what the situation was with installing an aftermarket intake. they told me they were installed K&N CAI at the time because the aem's weren't yet available. i told them i was thinking about getting the weapon r intake(even though i had already installed it) and they told me that for like $60-$70 they'd do the install. i ended up taking the intake out, putting the stock one back in and then going to have then do the install-just so if there were problems they couldn't say i did something wrong. i got the CEL and they cleared it out for me and when it still kept popping up they put in a bigger o-ring for me to make sure there wasn't a leak. guess it depends on the dealership. i'm gonna have them do my exhaust and header install as well.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by acasanova
Not true lava, my dealer installed my Alphawerks header for 100 bucks i know its expensive but worth it, plus i got it on paper saying (the installation of this product was performed by toyota therefore warranty is not affected). Just a little peace of mind, but i guess some dealers will install aftermarket parts others will not.
Hey what dealer did you go through because i would definately pay extra to have the injen or k & n intake installed?????? To have something that says toyota performed with a warranty is great!!!!!

Thanks
-Jason
Old 06-14-2005, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fsu1dolfan
Originally Posted by acasanova
Hey what dealer did you go through because i would definately pay extra to have the injen or k & n intake installed?????? To have something that says toyota performed with a warranty is great!!!!!

Thanks
-Jason
Headquarter Toyota of 826 and 57th avenue you can take I95 south get on the 826West ramp. Yes i made sure i got it in writing, however if the intake causes the damage which i cant see how an intake can cause damage to the engine (maf and filterissues aside)then they will not repair it. The intake you can do on your own, its not a big deal to install and most dealers tend to overlook them. Headers i would recommend the dealer install them.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Seriouly though i dont know if i can handle an intake install...is it really that easy???? I mean i am a completely new to the mod scene for performance stuff.....i have done wiring stuff inside the car and leds/soldering but now were are talking under the hood were i have yet to get ANY experience. What do you think!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fsu1dolfan
Seriouly though i dont know if i can handle an intake install...is it really that easy???? I mean i am a completely new to the mod scene for performance stuff.....i have done wiring stuff inside the car and leds/soldering but now were are talking under the hood were i have yet to get ANY experience. What do you think!!!
It is very easy just make sure you follow the instructions precisely. Really its not technical if you can read its very easy. Just make sure you have the proper tools, i didnt have the required tools for the installation of the header so i took it to the dealer. For the intake you just require some basic tools and patience. :D
Old 06-14-2005, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

there's a good weapon r intake install diy in the tech section. on K&N's website they have the install instructions there also. take a look at them-it's not a diff install at all, but check with ur dealer to see what they'll charge u. i mean, for $50-$60, maybe ur better off having them do it just in the event anything goes wrong with it, they can't blame u.

Quick Reply: Factory Warranty Affected?[Weapon R intake and Megan header]