Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Forced Induction Racing Scion TC turbocharger development..

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member

Default Forced Induction Racing Scion TC turbocharger development..

Hello all..

My name is Travis.. I own a small performance shop in Southern Louisiana (www.fi-r.com). We have over 10 years of combined experience on import and domestic experience in Turbocharging, Supercharging, and Nitrous Injection. Growing up, I did a lot of small block Chevy work.. and have built a few nice domestic cars. The last 4 years or so.. we have catered to the Nissan community. A few accomplishments over the last few years..

Highest (stateside) HP production from a SR20DET (661whp/583ft lbs)
First production bolt-on turbo kit for the SE-R Spec V (275whp/250ft lbs on stock engine)
First fully built Spec V (401whp/350ft lbs on pump gas)
First DET swapped B15 Sentra (00+ model)
First to build a destroked QR25DE motor

Ever since the Scion TC was unveiled, I've taken a back-seat.. and have watched the sales numbers/interest in the car. I think there's enough market now to warrant some R&D in a bolt-on, low-cost turbo kit.. as well as engine internal R&D. I'm not one to step on anyone's toes.. and I respect the work that the companys here are doing.. However, I want to get into the Scion market, and offer a reliable, affordable, bolt-on turbo kit for the TC guys. Rough estimates give me a MSRP of around 2500-3700.00.. providing 3 levels of entry. The first bieng a kit that provides the main parts needed.. minus the fuel system and misc. parts. The second level would be a low-boost entry kit priced between the low and high MSRP. The third would be a kit tuned for the max amount of power that can safely be made on a stock block. Fuel system AND timing will be addressed.

One thing I like about the Scion.. is that it presents a lot of the same challenges that we were faced with when we did the Spec V turbo kit R&D. I'll be gathering some info over the next month or so... and I'll be looking for someone in the south.. who would be willing to work with me on development. I will make it worth that person's time... please PM me for details.

Here's some pictures of some of the work that we do.. including our Spec V bolt-on kit.

bolt-on turbo kit
Turbo components before ceramic coating

S14 with SR swap..

400whp Spec V
Prototype 4-2-1 stainless manifold
Dyno chart

Here's a video of one of our Spec V's

http://www.fi-r.com/images/Dion330whp.wmv Spec V, open DP, 330whp

If anyone in the south is interested in working with me on this... I'd be willing to make arrangements to sit down and talk face to face.. and show you first-hand some of our accomplishments. Again, please PM me for more details. Thanks..

Travis Burelle
www.fi-r.com
Old 11-11-2004, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member

Also, as of now.. I'm am doing the base-package for sponsorship/advertising on here.. If things go well, I will put a lot more money into the site as sales are generated.

Travis
Old 11-12-2004, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think a number of people would be interested. Right now, there are a few companies working on turbos, and the TRD supercharger is coming too, so whoever has a good kit and makes it available first will have an advantage. It looks like you know what you're doing as far as turbo development. I'd love to see what you put together and how much power you get from a reliable bolt-on kit.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member

With the relatively large stoke.. and large displacement... it should make some good low-end/midrange.. and decent top end. The Spec V has a ludicrous rod/stroke ratio.. 1.43:1 It doesn't rev.. but it makes a ton of TQ down low.. and a big, broad curve. This motor isn't as bad.. it's kinda in the middle of where you want to be for a good, streetable, turbo motor. The Spec V's motor is also open deck.. however, the sleeve design is pretty durable. I think somewhere in the realm of 250-260whp on 93 octane is totaly feasible.. as long as it's tuned correctly. We make 280whp or so on the Spec V and it's been fine for over a year and 1/2.

Travis
Old 11-12-2004, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

you need to do a turbo kit for the xb's and xa's
Old 11-12-2004, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member

I wouldn't mind working with those two platforms... but I'd like to knock the TC stuff out first. I will address the other two afterwards.

Travis
Old 11-12-2004, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

sounds good to me
Old 11-12-2004, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member

I suggest a quick-spooling turbo. Bring whp to about 230 (+100 from stock) and you'll have a nice kit. I should spool around 3K, though.... my humble opinion...
Old 11-12-2004, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member

Sounds about right... although I think we could probably get a little more power out of it. The Spec V is a 2.5 liter.. it puts down 150whp stock. With our turbo kit.. it usually puts down 275whp.. or 125whp gain. So, I was thinking somewhere along those lines.. Around 250whp or so for the Scion. Granted, that all depends on how the engine responds to tuning. We'll see...

Travis
Old 11-13-2004, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hey if u need a donor car buzz me in man willing to take my car there for that kit see how far that can go maybe who knows it might beat the other stuff in the market currently.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member

250whp would be great, especially if matching torque is provided, and turbo(s) spool by 3K rpm. But, as we all know, power is not everything, so here are a few 'flaws' that could be 'corrected' on a tC as well, and added to the package as optionals (or, at least, recommended):

* faster throttle response -- to compare, test drive a stock 350Z. You can rev-match, double-clutch, heel-toe much better when you know that throttle is right there when you need it. Current slow response from throttle input could be from slow mapping (is this car drive-by-wire?), throttle body, or even heavy flywheel... I don't know...
* better grip -- at least 245s on the front, preferably 265s...
* short-throw stick -- current one's angle can be reduced, as well as length
* suspension improvements -- car has torque-steer even with 140wtq, let alone at about 250+...also, would eliminate possibility of 'airplane launches' ...
* (optional) increasing rev-limit by 500rpm, or 1000rpm

That's my 4.5c.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions

It's nice to see someone in south louisiana putting some work into our cars I'm very interested in an XA kit whenever you're ready to start working on one.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bascelik
250whp would be great, especially if matching torque is provided, and turbo(s) spool by 3K rpm. But, as we all know, power is not everything, so here are a few 'flaws' that could be 'corrected' on a tC as well, and added to the package as optionals (or, at least, recommended):

* faster throttle response -- to compare, test drive a stock 350Z. You can rev-match, double-clutch, heel-toe much better when you know that throttle is right there when you need it. Current slow response from throttle input could be from slow mapping (is this car drive-by-wire?), throttle body, or even heavy flywheel... I don't know...
* better grip -- at least 245s on the front, preferably 265s...
* short-throw stick -- current one's angle can be reduced, as well as length
* suspension improvements -- car has torque-steer even with 140wtq, let alone at about 250+...also, would eliminate possibility of 'airplane launches' ...
* (optional) increasing rev-limit by 500rpm, or 1000rpm

That's my 4.5c.
The car is drive by wire... which probably accounts for the mushines in the throttle response. The Spec V has the same problem.. Not much can be done about it if you want to retain the stock ECU. We have done standalone setups on the Spec.. and swapped the drive by wire out.. by fabricating a bracket to fit an older cable-style pedal and bracket. Then, swapped out to a different throttle body that uses a 0-5 volt TPS configuration. Works great.. but won't work with the factory ECU.. as it relies on inputs from the gas pedal to function properly. I'll see if it's the same on the TC..

Bigger tires shouldn't be a problem.. you'll need them with the additional power.. One thing about big stroke motors... is TQ hits like a bastard.. making for all sorts of wheelspin at low RPM.

Short throw shifter.. I'll see if I can work with a few companies on getting one made.

TQ steer is inevitable with these big, torquey motors.. Wait till you slap a turbo on.. it's even worse.

Rev limiter.. again, we'll need to be able to get into the factory ECU to do that. I'll have to do some research to see how possible it is to do that.

Travis
Old 11-15-2004, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Malaclypse
It's nice to see someone in south louisiana putting some work into our cars I'm very interested in an XA kit whenever you're ready to start working on one.
Thanks... I'll let you know if and when I start working on a XA kit..

Travis
Old 11-26-2004, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member

I have 2 people interested in bringing cars down here... so, in a few months, I should have some good news for you guys. I'll post pics/info as they become available..

Travis
Old 11-26-2004, 05:54 AM
Banned
SL Member

Hey are you looking into buying a car to do up? It would run you a low 20 grand to get it but it would be MUCH worth it. PM me if interested or if you got AIM hit me up or email me at Skionic@yahoo.com whatever is easiest.....sorry not thread jacking
Old 11-26-2004, 04:08 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Don't forget to talk to some of the people @ DeepsouthScions.com right in your local area and very freindly ;)
Old 11-26-2004, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey travis its cool that your showing interest in the scions, i used to have a spec-v and i would read your threads on thevboard.com and b15sentra.net. good luck on your tC project! if you put half the effort you have into turbochargin the spec-V than this should be a badass kit man. ill be looking out for the xA kit if and when you give it a go

to all that are interested in this kit A LOT of great things have been said about FIracing and Travis as well as their turbo kits.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also used to have a Specv, i was a member atb15 boards, and travis is a great stand up guy, thanks for taking interest travis, and keep up the good work
Old 11-30-2004, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to drive a Spec V. Travis definately knows what he is doing, however, from what I have read on the Sentra Forums, the customer service could be a little better. From what I have read in the past, it takes a good bit of time for FI-R to get a kit out to you. Like I said, Travis is very intelligent when it comes to making a car much faster, but the service could be a little better. Once again, I am taking this from other forums, not from personal experience...just a little heads up for my fellow scion owners.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Forced Induction Racing Scion TC turbocharger development..