Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

full exhaust recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Blackonblack said it best. Foreign companies could care lees about emission laws. Magnaflow is a street legal system that would pass emission inspection. So companies like Megan may produce more power but good luck pasisng your e test. If it is true that megan eliminates the secondary cat, what happens if you decide to add a header which eliminates the first cat. Then you have a car that has no cats and runs a straight through system. Fast, but definately not passing e check.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by MDUBS
Blackonblack said it best. Foreign companies could care lees about emission laws. Magnaflow is a street legal system that would pass emission inspection. So companies like Megan may produce more power but good luck pasisng your e test. If it is true that megan eliminates the secondary cat, what happens if you decide to add a header which eliminates the first cat. Then you have a car that has no cats and runs a straight through system. Fast, but definately not passing e check.

Like I said, must suck for some..
Old 07-19-2006, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could pass a echeck... ;)
Old 07-19-2006, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by chrischoi
you could pass a echeck... ;)

Get rid of the CEL light, and your good to go.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not in cali.. they do everything, UNLESS you know someone who will pass you

thats why im not worried, im gonna go turbo and i could care less about emissions, the only thing i have to do is hide it
Old 07-19-2006, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if anyone gets tired of emissions standards and what not...move to florida ...if you want
Old 07-21-2006, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the full megan setup, header-spipe-drift spec. at first it had a little rasp to it (no cat=normal) and still does when its cold but goes away when the system is good and warm.

I got huge gains out of it, it suprised the heck out of me, and would recomend it to any one just because of the bang for buck.

the only bad part is the noise, it sounds great but is really loud and ____'s people off when I pass them on the left side and they have the windows down. kinda funny to watch them in my mirror as they jump and almost swerve lanes at 5000 rpm.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm also looking for a full exhaust replacement. I want to eventually get a header (hopefully one that won't cause a CEL) so preferably one with either a resonator or a system that won't need one. One with an Spipe, high flow cats (i don't want to have any legal issues at all) and not be raspy. Just a good deep rumble with no fart or go-kart sound. I'm also not a fan of the coffee can look either. Gains would also be a nice factor. I don't wanna lose the low end as that's what makes our tC's so nice. Just opening up the high end power would be nice. I'm running auto so the lack of 5th is pretty annoying on the highway. So anyone know what would be best for me?
Old 07-21-2006, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Dont forget the Draxas exhaust also comes with a nice High Flow Cat too!!! I love mine and the sound is definitely sweet!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HP_Pirate
I got the full megan setup, header-spipe-drift spec. at first it had a little rasp to it (no cat=normal) and still does when its cold but goes away when the system is good and warm.

I got huge gains out of it, it suprised the heck out of me, and would recomend it to any one just because of the bang for buck.

the only bad part is the noise, it sounds great but is really loud and ____'s people off when I pass them on the left side and they have the windows down. kinda funny to watch them in my mirror as they jump and almost swerve lanes at 5000 rpm.
Thanks for the info, I just ordered a drift spec exhaust a few minutes ago.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Go custom. Saves you lots of money.
I have 2.5" piping from the header back, taking out the 2nd cat and resonator with a magnaflow muffler. No rasp, nice rumble. I'd suggest a resonator tho because it is a little on the loud side but its not that bad.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, it can cost more. But, I already got the Magnaflow catback. I just hope it does good when I get it installed on Thurs
Old 07-22-2006, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

well mine was 250 total, parts and install. Good choice with Magnaflow tho.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did the muffler shop bend hte pipes when your car was there? like.. did you see them building your exhaust system?
Old 07-22-2006, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Its probably crush bent, if you go with a straight through muffler, crush bends should be ok, our midpipe has minimal bends in it.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thast why i was asking.. cuz i know its crush bent.

when you have a crush bent system, your bends are not 2.5inches like your pipe, they can get reduced down to 1.75-2 inches depending on the bender.

so basically you kinda messed up a good midpipe..

you will get power out of your axle back, but your midpipe.. ?

what i did was have them remove the cat and resonator and place a 2.25 inch pipe in their place.

i did this because toyota did not go cheap, and they made a 2.25inch MANDREL bent midpipe for this car, which honestly is plenty for our N/A engines
Old 07-22-2006, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

I know 2.25inch is enough for our n/a car but I'm planning on going turbo later so I just got the 2.5". Anyways, I saw them get the piping, test fit it and yes CRUSH bend them or whatever. I know it makes it a lot less than 2.5" but whatever. I plan to get mandrel bent piping later on. This was just like a prototype exhaust just to see how it would sound. I'm not worried about HP right now.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Squishface
I know 2.25inch is enough for our n/a car but I'm planning on going turbo later so I just got the 2.5". Anyways, I saw them get the piping, test fit it and yes CRUSH bend them or whatever. I know it makes it a lot less than 2.5" but whatever. I plan to get mandrel bent piping later on. This was just like a prototype exhaust just to see how it would sound. I'm not worried about HP right now.
I wouldnt worry about the crush bends, for the midpipe portion the bends arent severe, you will be fine.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go for the DraXas I just installed mine and can not say enough good things about it. Sounds amazing and not raspy at all.

Easy install, fits well, looks good, and sounds great...
Old 07-23-2006, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member

I had the TRD exhasut and i could not stand the rasp comnig out of when i put on my header.....I ordered the Draxas and i couldnt be happier ...sounds amazing and not ricey its perfect...exactly what i was looknig for with the sound and performance....the car really pulls now...i love it

BTW anyone want a TRD exhaust ...$300 Neg....sry had to add taht

Quick Reply: full exhaust recommendations