Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

gearing/shifting issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

Default gearing/shifting issue

I have a 09 TC and just recently I have been noticing that changing gears is sooooo hard to get it in gear while driving. If I am at a dead stop I can put the gears in any gear I want very easy..but when the car is moving it takes a lot for it to push it in gear. I have a short shifter installed but the installation was done almost 5-6 months ago. also when taking off in first gear at normal speed of course..it makes like a windeing noise..not a grind but almost like the gear is not fully engaged. Most recent thing I did to my car was I changed the brakes and rotors but I don't think that would cause anything. I only mention that because I read someone on here saying the fluid had to be drained. I don't think that's the issue but Im not sure which Is why am seeking help. If you have any ideas or feedback please let me know.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What kind of mileage do you have on the car / tranny?? When was the last time you did a full tranny flush and new fluid??

I have had issues in the past (not with my tC...) that the synchronizers become worn and are not doing what they are supposed to be doing, which is meshing the gears between shifts to keep it smooth...

Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-09-2013, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

Originally Posted by FIREDOG21
What kind of mileage do you have on the car / tranny?? When was the last time you did a full tranny flush and new fluid??

I have had issues in the past (not with my tC...) that the synchronizers become worn and are not doing what they are supposed to be doing, which is meshing the gears between shifts to keep it smooth...

Just my 2 cents...
the car has about 96,000 I have not had a trans flush..:/ I just recently did a coolant flush but nothing with the trans.

would this cause it not to go in the gears? the thing is it does go in gear if I am at a dead stop..other wise its a pain in the a$s to change gears. I was thinking it might be my clutch too. ill check out the fluids tho. thanks for your input.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ABSOLUTELY!!! Running old fluid in your trans is a very very bad habit!! I change mine religiously at 37,000 miles!!! I use the Royal Purple gear oil... expensive, but worth it's weight in gold!!

Given how the motor/ trans is on the tC (quick gears, high revvs) and how you drive the car greatly affects how the fluid holds up. The life/ break down has long since passed on yours, so I highly recommend that is the absolute first thing you do to try and solve the issue. I'd be willing to bet that once you do the change, you will notice an immediate change.

The clutch... eh... that's a possibility... im assuming that is at the same mark of 96k miles?? That will cost a bit more (time and actual parts if needed...), so do the oil first... cheapest fix for now!

Lemme know what you come out with once it's done!!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

Originally Posted by FIREDOG21
ABSOLUTELY!!! Running old fluid in your trans is a very very bad habit!! I change mine religiously at 37,000 miles!!! I use the Royal Purple gear oil... expensive, but worth it's weight in gold!!

Given how the motor/ trans is on the tC (quick gears, high revvs) and how you drive the car greatly affects how the fluid holds up. The life/ break down has long since passed on yours, so I highly recommend that is the absolute first thing you do to try and solve the issue. I'd be willing to bet that once you do the change, you will notice an immediate change.

The clutch... eh... that's a possibility... im assuming that is at the same mark of 96k miles?? That will cost a bit more (time and actual parts if needed...), so do the oil first... cheapest fix for now!

Lemme know what you come out with once it's done!!
damn ok ill go and do a trans fluid change first and see how it feels after. I know I prob sound like dummy for not checking that first. but again I appreciate your input man. royal purple is best way to go?
Old 10-09-2013, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Royal purple, Redline, or Amsoil are all good synthetic oils. I personally prefer Amsoil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-09-2013, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

while we were discussing this topic I had dropped off my car earlier at the shop but they have not looked at it..i wonder if I should take it back and get that trans flush done to see if it fixes it. I am afraid at the shop that they will not check that and screw me over on pricing. what do you think ?