Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

generic ebay 4-2-1 headers...help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 AM
SL Member

Default generic ebay 4-2-1 headers...help?

Hey hey...who here bought headers? Well I bought ones that were a good deal...they appear to be an exact clone of the DC Sports 4-2-1 racing headers that are around, if you compare they are literally identical. Hopefully their quality will be ok, it's pretty hard to mess up stainless steel. Does anyone have any experience with these? Also, there are no cats inside the stock header are there (DO NOT MAKE A JOKE) that this part might bypass? The dealer seems to think that all these headers are legal, and even if they weren't that no cop would know the difference.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off, it's "header": singular.

Second, two things about the title worry me. The first being "generic" and the other being "ebay".

Third, depending on where you live, some police would certainly be able to tell that the header is not stock; but, I won't open that can of worms in your thread.

Personally, I wouldn't skimp on such a crucial part of the exhaust system, but if the header would happen to be of decent quality, please post up. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Hopefully their quality will be ok, it's pretty hard to mess up stainless steel.
It'd probably be the welds that go, if anything.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can very easily tell the difference between the stock exhaust manifold/cat and your header. Just look at the size. A cop may or may not be able to tell that the cat has been removed, but should definately notice you have an aftermarket header. As for the quality, I've had some pretty nice ebay parts. So long as it works and doesn't cause any issues I say go for it. All most of those manufacturers do is copy another company's design. They are cheaper since they don't have much r&d, some do use cheaper metals though so watch out.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:37 AM
SL Member

Here's the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8456657&rd=1,1

They claim it's the standard stainless steel that all exhaust parts are made of, and i'd be surprised if there's a characteristic bad way to weld a header, they're all made in 3rd world countries in mass factory production lines. Although if anyone here has had a blown header, warn me.

Header? Headers? Some people call them headers but I guess that's not grammatical, and they taught me the wrong word for it then.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Several people have had header welds break on them; from reputable companies, too.

(A tC has a header because it's only a 4 cylinder. A Corvette has headers because it has one header for each side of the V8 [1 header per 4 cylinders]).
Old 01-30-2007, 11:48 AM
SL Member

the link you provided was for a 4-1 header, not a 4-2-1
Old 01-30-2007, 01:16 PM
SL Member

Yeah I think they are a bit inventive with the details, but can you explain why it looks identical to the 4-2-1 header from DC Sports? Maybe they got it wrong too.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:26 AM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hard to mess up stainless steel? Not if they're made in China. I worked with a company located in china before, where they make their sensor housings out of stainless steel. Guess what happened.... it RUSTED. Irony is that that in Chinese, stainless steel is translated: "un-rustedable steel".