Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Getting around this whole CARB thing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:23 AM
SL Member

Default Getting around this whole CARB thing?

Hey guys,

I am interested in purchasing a CAI in the spring, but I don't want the hassle of installing it, uninstalling it, and reinstalling it every time I need to go pass emissions every year.

Any ideas? I know that there are only one or two CARB legal intakes, but from the looks of it, they look pointless.

I am looking at the AEM Electronic CAI, or the Injen CAI.

I see tons of people with intakes around NYC ... what do they do?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do you mean "Carb Legal Intakes look pointless"? Most intakes really are pointless anyways. And what is an "Electronic CAI"? SEARCH my friend, this has been answered a million times before.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:40 AM
SL Member

Carb legal intakes, such as the K&N Typhoon, do not do much as for as power, and in some cases power is lost. So that is what I mean. Installing the V2 or the the Injen looks to produce anywhere between 7-9HP, and I am OK with that, who wouldn't be?

I know where the search button is, thanks, I have been here longer than you have. I am interesting in getting some advice on ways to get around the CARB doings on NY or similarly ruled states. Do you have any? No? Get out of the thread then.

As far as electronic CAI goes :

"AEM's new Electronically Tuned Intake (ETI) Systems are raising air intake engineering standards once again. With a revolutionary ETI module and fully integrated design, we have eliminated the need to detune or stage intake tube diameter as it crosses the MAF sensor. AEM's air intake system adjusts the sensor electronically to read proper air density instead of using physical tube designs intended to "trick" the MAF reading. The result is bigger horsepower and torque gains."

Old 02-17-2011, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice attitude. Being on this site longer doesn't mean a thing.

First off, an "electronic intake" is just advertising b.s. Its still an intake, and its the same AEM intake offered for all years of this car. There is no difference in the AEM offered from 2 years ago to this year.

Secondly, the 7-9hp gain you won't see. Intakes mainly create noise and slightly better gas mileage and throttle response. The "published" gains by each intake maker is inflated to make you believe you're getting a huge bang for your buck. What you will actually see to the wheels is only a few hp, nothing you will notice at all.

Thirdly, CARB intakes do not make you lose power. And once again, the power gain/loss is minimal, so much you won't notice. Also, if you DID search since you've been on here since 2007 and know the site so well you would have found https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/buyers-guide-scion-tc-intakes-55693/ It will also depend on how NY tests for emissions. If they do not look at the motor, and only check for CEL's then you would be fine with any intake. If they do in depth testing then obviously K&N would likely be your best choice.

I'll put it this way, if you make a thread wanting help, don't be an idiot and get mad when someone tells you to search since Intakes are the most popular discussion ever. A few minutes with GOOGLE and this site would more then find your answer. You're welcome sunshine.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:40 PM
SL Member

Actually I have personally seen 8hp gains from an Injen intake.

As for the nice attitude, I would say the same to you.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:17 PM

Stop _____ing each others in public.
You won't gain 8 hp with a CAI only.
Every change in a car needs proper tuning.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

New York follows CARB regulations and requires yearly smog checks for newer vehicles?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^same question. even in cali, gross polluters need to be smogged once every 2 years.

and is taking off a cai that much trouble?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

I haven't had a problem with my intake the last 3 years.. (NY) .. and I have and ebay tube,,, I don't think they will bother you as long as your not getting a check engine light from it..
Old 02-19-2011, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I thought CARB legal pertained only to California?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:32 AM
SL Member

No, there are several states that have adopted the same or similar laws now.

As far as I can tell, and read from here, as long as you aren't throwing a CEL that it should be OK, especially if they don't check the engine bay. Now, if I were to get pulled over technically I could be ticketed but I suppose that would only be the case if the office was a complete jerk.

I think I have decided on the Injen intake. Thanks for all of the answers.