Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Getting The TRD Exhaust Soon....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Getting The TRD Exhaust Soon....

so im getting the TRD exhaust installed on my 08 tc becuase i dont want it to be too loud and i have watched a lot of vidoes on youtube and i really like the way it sounds. Also im going to be getting some more parts over the summer when i get a job but the thing is i dont know much about cars so right now i think i want to get a cold air intake but what parts should i get after that and what intake would you reccomend?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, an easy and affordable mod would be to lower your ride. If you decide to go this route, then you may want to do research into different springs. The reason being, different springs offer different amounts of low. If you want a subtle drop, then TRD springs or the Tein H-tech would be good. If you want more low, then I'd recommend the Tein S-techs.

I have the TRD cai and I'm happy with it, but from what I've read the Injen cai is pretty good/the best.

If you want to complete the package, you should get a header. That way you have the whole I/H/E setup (intake, header, exhaust).
Old 04-07-2009, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i had injen and now i have fujita. i prefer the fujita over the injen.

but like cribbs said, lower it!
Old 04-07-2009, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lowering is a definite must. 4x4 FTL.

Injen and Fujita have been the intakes i've heard the best things about.

just avoid rasp. sounds horrible.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you install headers on your car, you're going to regret buying the TRD muffler.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

nice choice on the trd exhaust. im still waiting for mine to come in. also, like people above said, lower it! nay on the header, it will give you a nasty rasp. i have the trd cai aswell, but for the price, its not really worth it. just get one of the more inexpensive ones like fujita. good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Fresh Crew
SL Member

lower lower lower.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Set your Goal first. Too many people just get antsy and buy whatever they cann afford right away. If you want N/A then invest in Internals and get that Cold Air, if you want to go F/I then buy a Turbo Kit and work on the Trans to back it up. Definitely keep modding, just set that Bar.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+1 fujita
Old 04-07-2009, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Djicey702
If you install headers on your car, you're going to regret buying the HEADERS.
fixed.

remember if you get springs that drop you more than 1.25" it is highly recommended you get the alignment done as well as camber.

trd exhaust sounds nice n' smooth, so does injen. like someone else said, injen and fujita cai's are legit.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Here is a a bit of wisdom......if you get TRD exhaust,do not get a header,period,it iwll sound so bad you will hate your car,even with resonators and such it will not sound good.

Ingen intake is great,and TRD exhaust are great just do not ad header to that combo,if you want a header then go for a differant exhaust like Tanabe or Ingen exhaust.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 PM

dude!!! its crazy that this was posted. I got the trd exhaust when i got my 08 tc about a year ago and i love it. sounds great. this past sunday i got and installed some headers and....it sounded horrible! lol needless to say i put the stock headers back on today...and my trd cai and lowering spring came in today so i cant wait to get that on. like everyone said...lower it, and ive heard the trd cai and exhaust go pretty good together.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^You installed a header not headers, we only have one.

Yea don't get a header for the tC if you have a TRD exhaust, I have heard a few and they sounded horrible. Get a cold air intake, and mid pipe to make the exhaust alittle bit deeper. However if you are going to go FI don't worry about getting any of this since you will just have to get rid of it.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Injen ftw! haha actually go for whatever's cheaper imo, its not gonna matter. I think the old version of the fujitas were throwing up CELs? not sure, don't take my word I thought I read it somewhere. If you get a CAI, get a bypass valve or a nylon cone cover, seems like hydrolocking barely happens, but it happened to be and it cost $7000 to repair. I have a TRD exhaust as well, didn't like it too much at first, thought it was a little bit too loud, got a reso installed, like it much better now. I would definitely invest in a drop first though, wheel gaps FTMFL!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

YES forget the header ^^mid-pipe and lowering springs for sure, and please please do not buy a TRD CAI i laugh at the people who pay for that over inflated price you have no idea how many times i read a RO and see that it says install Dealer Addon TRD Cold Air Intake and I just want to walkout to the waiting area and slap the customer and tell them go buy a fujita or injen you will pay half the price!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:28 AM

headers and trd exhaust is a no go to raspy u should do greddy exhaust and lower it ....................................................................
Old 04-08-2009, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
Here is a a bit of wisdom......if you get TRD exhaust,do not get a header,period,it iwll sound so bad you will hate your car,even with resonators and such it will not sound good.

Ingen intake is great,and TRD exhaust are great just do not ad header to that combo,if you want a header then go for a differant exhaust like Tanabe or Ingen exhaust.
I finally got my exhaust sound dialed in. I have the whole setup, cai,headers,exhaust. I had the TRD and I thought it was a great muffler (made very well), it just didn't sound good after my header install, imo. So... I had my exhaust guy make me a whole new system from the header back: a new s-pipe and mid pipe and muffler. The mid pipe has a high flow cat and two resonators. The muffler is a dual chamber setup. The whole system is t-304 stainless and it's mandrel bent. So it sounds very nice now. Actually it sounds like the TRD but a lot meaner!! GGRRRR! lol

Maybe I should add a sound clip..