Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Goal: Beat a RSX Type S

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member

Default Goal: Beat a RSX Type S

Is it possible to beat an RSX Type S with a moderate N/A setup. By simply looking at numbers the RSX puts down ~175 hp at the wheels and ~125 tq. I was thinking that with a good N/A setup, maybe Injen CAI, MMW Headers, and a full exhaust that it would be possible to beat them. The 06 type - s weighs in at 2840 and the 02-04 weigh in at 2770. By looking at the numbers it looks like I would be able to beat one, but numbers never translate accurately into a real situation so I was wondering if anyone had input on this.

If I couldnt take one with the setup above,what else could be done to beat one N/A, or is it just more efficient to save up for some form of F/I.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To beat a RSX Type S NA would actually be pretty hard. They have a 6 speed tranny to begin with and their motors are not as peaky as previous Honda engines. In reality it would take a fair amount of other modifications to beat a stock Type S. I think FI is the only real solution for your goal.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that set up will get you about 160 to the wheels. and our car weighs a bit more too.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want to beat an RSX type S, you would at least need the TRD supercharger. However, that puts you in the same price range as an RSX in the first place. An n/a tC isn't going to cut it.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Not to mention, the cash you'd need to spend to turn a NA tC into a competator. You can build the **** out of your engine with NA Pistons, ZPI's stage 2 head, some sleeves from GOlden Eagle, and have yourself a good na setup, but man, it'd cost a crapload. If you LOVED the tC, then go for it. Otherwise, why not like, buy something else?

Slap a turbo on that bad boy and call it a day
Old 06-19-2006, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude.. if i wanted i could beat a type s with a stock tc... auto too... you get out and beat the kid.. slash his tires... and go!

lol... it was a joke.

but you could ask for a head start... get in front.. and not let him pass... haha that's another way to go.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oil slick
Old 06-19-2006, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you dont need S/C just to beat a rsx type S just use NOS J/K a good set up will be Header,CAI,S-Pipe,Full Exhaust, 3 set pulley, stage 1 or 2 clutch, a flywheel, and the VVT-i Cam Con controller a short shifter im messing something but i cant remmember 1or 2g be very quick
Old 06-19-2006, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe an LSD with that stuff too? Too much money man, just get some PSI running through that manifold.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya get all this but dont get the header and intake and go with some psi youll be pulling what what ist it like 290-300hp at the wheels
Old 06-19-2006, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can drive your car damn good and hes just an ok driver you can take him. I beat two when I was stock with just a trd exhaust but I knew how to launch good and all (I also didnt have stock tires. but I found my self beating most tc's with intake, ehaust, headers stuff like that. so Id say get real comftorable with your car and you'll put up a good fight.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Banned
SL Member

Get a Greddy kit with no engine managment,prob around 2600 shipped, with all the n/a parts you would need, you would land at more than that. At the time n/a does not seem to get much gains, I think that a good IM would get the best gains but there is no im out yet
Old 06-19-2006, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what you want to do is smoke him lol
Old 06-19-2006, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

First, forget going by peak hp numbers, that wont tell you a thing about the car. go by its times and compare the power curves. The area under the power curve is what really matters here.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just get some boost... s/c will kill a stock type s... even on the freeway...
Old 06-20-2006, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Although i agree with all the responses, but in all honesty, i've beaten 2 seperate type s's at the track. I'm all stock performance wise except for trd exhaust. Just cuz the numbers will make u lean one way, on the street or track it's a fairly good driver's race.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mahalzkita28
just get some boost... s/c will kill a stock type s... even on the freeway...
Agreed i went up against a TC supercharged with I,h,E and he beat me by a car lenght on the 1/4 mile, and i pulled a 14.83 i was stock on my type S at the time. Supercharged TCs are quick little cars not to mention beautiful, was considering supercharching mine. Oh and like another poster stated if you beat 2 Type S in the track N/A, its simply that they dint know how to shift and you apparently did, both factors being equal a type s will put quite a lead on us N/A TCs.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SO-CAL_TC
If you can drive your car damn good and hes just an ok driver you can take him. I beat two when I was stock with just a trd exhaust but I knew how to launch good and all (I also didnt have stock tires. but I found my self beating most tc's with intake, ehaust, headers stuff like that. so Id say get real comftorable with your car and you'll put up a good fight.
TOTALLY Agree w/ this Dude...Its ALL about Driver Technique!!..U can have a Sh*tter car and still be fast...Just practice on launch'in and etc..
Old 06-20-2006, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no chance a N/A tC will beat a RSX-S! Those things are way too fast and too light against the tC. given equal drivers, the RSX-S will always come out with the win. The RSX-s gets 210 HP at the crank and the tC only 160 HP at the crank (200 HP w/ Supercharger). And after that it wouldn't be fair because it'll be Forced Induction against stock.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member

Whoa just got back from work, thanks for all the quick replies! I suppose I will have to save up for either the zpi stage 0 or the S/C then, thanks for the info guys!

Quick Reply: Goal: Beat a RSX Type S