Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Goal: Beat a RSX Type S

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my bro has a 2006 type s and he didnt own me, but he was a bit a head. its not hard to beat a type s, maybe it was because i had nice tires and a short shifter, but we were close. lik about half a car. If you wana beat an rsx type just get better suspension and an exhaust, header, intake and a pair of tires cuz rsx is low on torque and that helps us a lot because it pulls the car and rsx is well known for crzy stock suspension so maybe get some strut and sways, and sum tein basics or other coils.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

You are all scared and closed minded and have no drive

Definitly possible for an NA tC on a 1,500 doller budget to beat an acura RSX type S ha! kids.

P&P + Valve work is about 600 bucks if you remove the head etc your self. P&P + valve work will get you some hidden HP and torque.

I/H/E, a complete setup will get yah about 20-25 whp and about 15-20 ft/lbs

After all said and done you've spent about 1500 bucks...

The car has the power.. Next is the driver mod.

All you scared guys "You can't beat an RSX-S with out F/I! *sniff sniff*" Seriously. if you have the will there is a way.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is possible to beat a type-S going NA. With I/H/E+crank pulley a good driver can pull high 14's. From what I've seen good RSX-S drivers (with a fully stock RSX-S mind you) pull around 14.7-14.9. Honestly it really comes down to how good of a driver you are. Not to mention once they start modding then its game over unless you go F/I.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Again, a few things to keep in mind

Peak hp rating means jack squat. You need to be more concerned with average power delivery. For a simple way to look at this. Get a wheel dyno of the two cars stock on the same type of dyno hopefully. If the scales dont match up you need to correct that. Then lay them over a peice of small squared graph paper (engineering paper would work great) and start counting squares below the power curve. That area will tell you much more about how far you are off performance wise in relation to power.

Next, dont look at the different mods you can do and add up the gains.. not only is that way off, it also doesnt take into consideration the area beneath the curve. Also, a lot of the claims made on these parts can be attributed to the type of dyno and the way the "tweak" thier results. If you dont believe that go run a few 1/4 mile runs, slap on one of those magical 12WHP pulleys or simliar mods and go run a few more times... then tell me how much change you notice. I can garauntee it will not be what you are expecting. So you should really look at peoples times running similar mods to get a better idea.

Now... of course every race comes down to drivers for a big part. I have a friend with a manual V6 mustang (2005). Now, they arent fast by any means, but still turn lower times than a stock tC does. I can SCHOOL them without even trying.. they have a quicker car with rwd... so why? Cause I can run through my gears as fast as I can shift.. they cant. But in this case someone is asking the question of which car is faster.. so just consider equal drivers and go from there.

Finally.. why say "I want to beat a -s ?" Who cares? Just start modding and get the most out of your setup regardless of what car you can beat. The wins will come later if you really get into racing. I am just as much for building an NA car as I am FI. It is more expensive and has more limitations power wise.. (it also has many advantages when it comes to power curves.. so less power can yeild equal results in some cases). But, to me the point is to see what you can do with it.. not try to have the fastest car in town. If you wanted that, you started with the wrong drivetrain (FWD) and wrong number of cylinders to start with. :D
Old 06-20-2006, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You definetly don't need F/I to beat an S-Type. Just drop in one of these:

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/ZZ57...793-P16C0.aspx

and you'll be set. All N/A power!!
Old 06-20-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ one of the best motors you could start with... maybe a tight squeeze in the tC though but I can garauntee when I am ready to build a real 1/4 mile car it will most likely be sporting one of those .. with a nice sized blower sitting on top of it and rwd. The pump gas (9.6:1 I believe) version pushes 620HP NA... the 12:1 version runs 720HP NA on race fuel. Now THAT is a race motor :D But..now you have drug me off topic
Old 06-20-2006, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Wonder how much bending, bashing, cutting, and welding THAT swap would take
Old 06-20-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I am pretty sure the drivers seat would be the back seat after that... talk about a jet engine on a go-cart
Old 06-20-2006, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ROFL
Old 06-20-2006, 11:07 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

1000 lbs is alot of @ss to haul
Old 06-21-2006, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member

I have I/E and I have beat plenty of RSX type-s at the track, people can't drive! I even beat a 05 Mustang GT in the 1/4 mile. Just come to California Speedway most people there can't drive.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KurtRS1
I have I/E and I have beat plenty of RSX type-s at the track, people can't drive! I even beat a 05 Mustang GT in the 1/4 mile. Just come to California Speedway most people there can't drive.
LOL tried racing one of those in my Type S the other day he walked on me and kept walking.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I've beaten a type-S recently..

I have intake, header, exhaust, pullies, stage II clutch, stiffy and short throw shifter. Pretty much a drivers race IMO.. if you can launch the tC perfectly and get up on the gas quicker than them, your fine.. this is street racing though. So yes, it can be done.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i used to have a type-s and it pulls pretty hard once ot gets into the 6-8k rpm range. its also not the easiest car to drive, especially the 1-2 shift cuz the car revs in 1st so quickly. so if its a new or inexperienced driver id say ya its possible
Old 06-23-2006, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member

as said before

u dont need much to beat an rsx i raced one at the track with I/E and me stock and lost by 1 car he ran a 15. 5 and i ran a 15. 6 so it is very possible to beat an rsx. give me I/h/E and a pully set up and ill run u 14.9 with a 2.0 60 ft
Old 06-23-2006, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can beat the driver easily.

Both cars driven to potential will show that it's not so easy to beat an RSX-S.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SO-CAL_TC
If you can drive your car damn good and hes just an ok driver you can take him. I beat two when I was stock with just a trd exhaust but I knew how to launch good and all (I also didnt have stock tires. but I found my self beating most tc's with intake, ehaust, headers stuff like that. so Id say get real comftorable with your car and you'll put up a good fight.
At the Irwindale Scion Triathalon I was beating tC's with more mods than me. Driver skill plays a bigger roll than most think. All I have is intake and axle back, and I was beating tC's with Header full exhaust combo's. I have a friend with a Type-S thats not the best street driver, but on the freeway he wins 100% of the time.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii

couldn't have said it better, key word equal drivers.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by acasanova

They have Top-End HP, while our only advantage is tq. Thats where we suffer we don't have high-end power. But in the End you know how the saying goes, "theres no replacement for displacement." Our motors still have the higher potential than theirs. It just hasnt been tapped into yet really.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06SuperWhite_SoCal_tC
Originally Posted by acasanova

They have Top-End HP, while our only advantage is tq. Thats where we suffer we don't have high-end power. But in the End you know how the saying goes, "theres no replacement for displacement." Our motors still have the higher potential than theirs. It just hasnt been tapped into yet really.
I agree i love my 2.4 liter, the 2.0L on my S however has a hell of an aftermarket. I love both cars im saving up for the SC and i think thats as far as ill take my TC.

Quick Reply: Goal: Beat a RSX Type S