Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:58 AM
SL Member

Default Good Deal?

http://www.advancedjdmparts.com/prod...roductid=19910

Hi I'm still new to this forum and I have been searching through old threads and am thinking that header and s-pipe should be my next step. I have a cai and no muffler. My question is does this sound like a good deal and will they throw a CEL? Thanks I'm sure this question has been asked before.

If the link doesn't work it is for a 4-1 header and s-pipe for 199. they are stainless.

Last edited by WalkaWalka; 11-23-2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: forgot info
Old 11-23-2009, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OMG your car will sound so horrible if you get a header and have no muffler. It will sound like 50 weedwackers going at the same time
Old 11-23-2009, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Well I can help you out on this.......try to buy name brand header if you chose to get one,DME might be the cheapest 4-1 that is decent,DC I think still makes header,Strup makes one.......if you want 4-2-1 then MMW has great header,Tsudo is exctly the same as it but cheaper.

Yes any header will throw a CEL as it takes the cat out and the snesor is before the second cat on the midpipe........you will need the L anti fouler pipe to relocat the sensor out of the flow,MMW makes it also you can use antifoulers from auto zone and drill them out but they can be hit or miss.

Biggest thing about header is once it is on your car will sound like weedwacker on crack,if you thought Hondas sound like fart cans we got them beat........solution is resonators on midpipe,the stock one jsut cannot take the flow from header.

Next you will want to look into at least an axelback exhaust as stock and TRD sound bad even with resonators........

Header total expense usually ends up in the $500-900 range depending on cost of parts,but you will need them all to pull it off and sound good,as for HP.....you gain really not a lot,you get a few ponies freed up but not much,mostly it is for decoration
Old 11-23-2009, 04:48 AM
SL Member

Ok first question for DJ08TC... as enlightened as your post seems have you actually heard this set up or are you just guessing? I only ask bc I assumed when my muffler was cut off it would sound horrible thus why I had a system to put on but I actually like it the way it sounds now. No it doesn't sound like a ____ed off weed eater.

BZinn1: Are you saying I should not even was my money? I know its not going to be a race car I just want something different.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All headers on a tc sound horrible for the most part, if you have nothing to suppress the sound it will be ever worse. It will sound nothing like your car now with just a midpipe. You have too put resonators on the midpipe have a decent axleback for a header to sound okay.

It will pretty much sound like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKRsG891HI8
Old 11-23-2009, 05:16 AM
SL Member

ok that sounds horrible i gotcha
Old 11-23-2009, 05:16 AM
SL Member

where do I find resonators? or which ones should I look at I guess is the question.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:21 AM
SL Member

this is kinda sad. im so desperate to have a header and a new exhaust on my tc that i actually kinda liked the tone in the video. of course i prefer a deeper tone, i love the TRD axleback , but it still doesn't sound terrible to me.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WalkaWalka
where do I find resonators? or which ones should I look at I guess is the question.

off the top of my head aero25 is a good one, so you can google that.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by insight420
this is kinda sad. im so desperate to have a header and a new exhaust on my tc that i actually kinda liked the tone in the video. of course i prefer a deeper tone, i love the TRD axleback , but it still doesn't sound terrible to me.

fist of all it depends on what king of exhaust you have. i have had my dc header for 4 years. i have dc header,stock s and mid pipe and a greddy sp2 axle back. normally its raspy on cold starts, but when it warms up i dont hear any rasp.

i just recently got a trd axle back an holy mother of jebus lol its alot louder than the greedy. im thinking about going back to the greddy.

the vids were taken im 45 degree weather and in my garage, so the sound has alot of echo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM86UrRJ1Ds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hcWgrtL0bU
Old 11-23-2009, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was running a strup 4-1, stock s, megan mid, and hks hi powered and it sounded awful. i was embarrassed to drive my car it was so high pitched and made noises that should never come out of a car lol. i ended up gettin an invidia s pipe and put my stock midpipe back on and it sounded much better. no rasp unless at wide open throttle.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

meatrocket why do you have a triple gauge pod on a NA tc? what gauges are you running?

any header will produce rasp. if you can live with it then get a header. search youtube all the headers on the market produce the same amount of rasp except 4-2-1 headers are little less raspy.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by athletefeet66
meatrocket why do you have a triple gauge pod on a NA tc? what gauges are you running?

any header will produce rasp. if you can live with it then get a header. search youtube all the headers on the market produce the same amount of rasp except 4-2-1 headers are little less raspy.

Because this is america! i do what i want lol. i like the look. volt,water temp and narrow a/f(not hooked up). when i bought he pillar pod it said it could be used with N/A tc also.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe you posted in my for sale thread about the strup header. I was running it on a dumped system with a magnaflow muffler

heres what it sounded like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRKeCogUams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4wpJm9VqDc
Old 11-26-2009, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok first off your going to a website with the letters JDM in it!! tC does not = JDM.

Next buy a name brand header like Bzinn said. After that lose the TRD exhaust. Get a greddy, megan, tanabi, hks, injen axleback or skunk2, agency power, megan drift spec catback. But go buy resonators.

Check out NGAmotorsports.com for a good deal on Vibrant resonators! Get at least one 18" but i suggest and 18" and a 12".

Get them welded on the stock midpipe if ypou get an axleback or on the catback midpipe and yoru good to go. Oh and make sure you get a CEL eliminator. I think MMW/ weapon-r and tsudo come with one.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I say just stay away from a header all together and put your money towards something else.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2^
Old 12-01-2009, 02:05 AM
SL Member

I would keep the stock exhaust, I dont really like the sounds of pipes on our cars, unless you go turbo.