Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Grinding noise....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Grinding noise....

I did a quick search on this and found nothing, but I'm hoping someone here can help me.... i have a 5 spd MT 05 tc... and occasionally under light acceleration and light deceleration im getting this awful grinding noise coming from the transmission. I have not been able to reproduce this without the car in gear, or in any gear other than 2nd and 3rd (not being able to reproduce it in other gears could be a coincidence, but it definitely only happens while in gear.) This may also happen under hard acceleration/deceleration.. but theres NO WAY i;d be able to hear it over the exhaust and what not, but i cant feel it either. I was thinking possible a pilot bearing? Would this be a good place to start looking? There are no other symptoms, and for the record i am turbocharged and while i dont beat on my transmission, i am also not terribly easy on it (occasional hard shifts, not every time i take off or anything)
thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No one? I was hoping to get some idea before i go to the shop on thursday! Let me know if you guys (or girls ) have ideas? This only happens while IN GEAR i double checked today! Thanks again everyone.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think we may be having the same probelm. How many miles are on your tC? Also, mine is an 07. Let me know what they find (or not). I have a post about this, just search for my posts, maybe that will help.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds kinda like clatter that you get from a lightweight flywheel, but if your flywheels are stock, maybe it is unbalanced or not dampening properly.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, I'm using the stock flywheel at the moment.... im at about 30k right now, and a stage 4 comp clutch and fidanza flywheel will be going in very shortly so i definitely need to get this all ironed out before, or at the same time as that goes in.... last thing i need is tranny problems when its under as much stress as it will be
Old 09-20-2007, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check your serpentine belt. Turns out my noise was caused by the belt as it was starting to shred. I just started my car this morning and i heard a "thwap-thwap-thwap" when i put it into gear. there is currently a 3-foot ribbon hanging off the belt.

I would look for a wear line, or any kind of line thats runs the circumference of the belt, or get it checked at a mechanic. If there is a wear line or something that looks like it, make sure they get it out of the car in order to look at it, because my dealership said it was cosmetic and not going to fail right...
Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Belt looks good. Mine grinding isnt constant, its occasional... and definitely from the transmission
Old 09-20-2007, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Start by draining the tranny oil and see if there is metal fragments in the oil . . . sounds like it may be a layshaft bearing or maybe a cracked or damaged gear bushing on the shafts. If you see metal in the oil you have a problem then it may be cast steel aluminum or bronze which will tell you even more.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll drain the tranny this weekend (hopefully) and if theres any fragments ill find out what they are and update. I dunno about the layshaft bearings but i kinda doubt its a gear bushing as there is no difficulty getting it in gear or noise going into gear... the noise is when you area already in gear, clutch fully released. and additionally its inconsistent.. ive cruised around in second gear at low speed in an empty parking lot and i can simply lightly press and release the gas 10 times and get the noise maybe one time... it seems to be more prominent when turing as well.. anyways like i said ill drain and if i find shavings ill update you guys with what type of metal they are.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm getting the same "grinding" noise that you are getting and mine seems like it's coming from the passanger side... Let me know how it goes when you take it into a shop...
Old 09-21-2007, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Differential would be affected by turning and depending upon which teeth mesh in the gear it could change a little. Hard to say but you could also have case damage with the end of a shaft moving around on the end bearing in the housing. That is why checking the oil for metal should give a better idea of what is going on. The dealer can also look inside with a fiber optic scope and actually look at teh insides of the tranny.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if u have a supercharger..u'll hear it all the time..but i would check the belt....just in case....
Old 09-21-2007, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no supercharger, I'm turbo, and I already checked the belt.... not going to the dealer if i can avoid it... I'm very VERY dissatisfied with the 2 dealers nearby... I'll be draining the transmission ASAP and updating... Shavings=going straight to the shop, probably cottman transmission as they are right down the street and they've done good work in the past for me. I was going there yesterday but I ended up working about a 12 hr day and they were closed when i got off
Old 09-24-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I took the car to a transmission shop today, and was basically told that they dont think that it is a tranmission problem, but it could be.... no garauntees either way. He would really like me to start with upgrading the the CV axles to some hardened axles to see if that stops the noise, (there is a fair amount of play in the axles) and then work my way up into the transmission from there if the noise continues. He also refuses to put more stock parts back on the car So my next question is, where do i find some hardened axles
Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The driveshaft shop is here (fairly) locally and i know they make custom axles/performance axles... has anyone had any experience with them?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You may want to search some other threads about the axles I recall something about a shop making some really good ones capable of 500whp for the tC. Grinding while turning sure would come from the CV joints as the bearings stat to crumble for excessive torque - watch the 1st gear throttle use when turning since that puts the most torque on the axles due to the gear reduction.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If cottman down there is anything like the cottman up here stay the ____ away from them. Read up on the BBB about them.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh god.. cottman had to rebuild twice and finally replace the entire thing (only paid for the first rebuild!) on my 96 neon way back in the day.. their work sucks so bad..
Old 09-25-2007, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah sorry i misspoke... it USED to be cottman transmission... now its a privately owned place... cant remember the name of it... the only place i can seem to find upgraded axles though, is the driveshaft shop (these are stage 3.9 650hp axles!) and they are a little more than i wanted to spend ($1200) and really would be overkill for my application... but i guess anything worth doing is worth overdoing.... anyone kno of another place that rebuilds axles, maybe one that offers some nice 300-400hp axles?)
thanks again guys

ps... i did search for axles on SL... only found the driveshaft shop
Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member

Default warranty

do you still have a warranty? if so why dont you let the dealer fix it?

Quick Reply: Grinding noise....