Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

grounding install, disappointed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lo_bux_racer
Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
ok, lets cut that crap with the name calling. what can i do to improve my throttle response? honestly
Buy and install a lightweight flywheel. The OEM unit weighs 16 lbs, 9.8 ounces. The Fidanza unit weighs 9 lbs, 2.8 ounces. It completely cured all my complaints about slow throttle response.

It is not cheap or simple to install, but it will cure your problem and not introduce any warranty issues, or longevity issues compared to stock. It's the best win-win you can imagine for an engine mod.

AFA amateur status - I started experimenting with electronics as an amateur in '73. I turned pro in '79 and spent the next 20 years of my life working on both ground and aircraft electronic systems for the Air Force. But you wouldn't know that. Now you do.
I'm an old Ground Rat from the Air Force. I imagine we worked on some of the same POS equipment back in the 80's. OMG....that makes me sound so friggin old.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ Thats why I like driving the saturn in the winter here in MN Plastic body panels are great for that! But I perform development and support for a business centered around salt (meaning I own stock in food and road salt), so I cant complain about that :D

I think many of us agree... on a new car with stock electronics, you will not obtain a noticeable change by adding a grounding kit. A change, yes... but not a noticeable one. On an older vehicle, or one with extra electronics connected, you will improvement. But not necesarilly from an under-hood ground kit. I would be more focused on the areas mentioned above (between body panel mounting points, etc).
Old 09-27-2005, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
^^ Thats why I like driving the saturn in the winter here in MN Plastic body panels are great for that! But I perform development and support for a business centered around salt (meaning I own stock in food and road salt), so I cant complain about that :D

I think many of us agree... on a new car with stock electronics, you will not obtain a noticeable change by adding a grounding kit. A change, yes... but not a noticeable one. On an older vehicle, or one with extra electronics connected, you will improvement. But not necesarilly from an under-hood ground kit. I would be more focused on the areas mentioned above (between body panel mounting points, etc).
So...it's safe to say you ARE worth your weight in salt.

I'm with you...If anyone expects to see results from this mod...they had a problem to begin with.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey lo_bux_racer relax with the credentials...
Old 09-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Banned

i am an electrcian for nine years now and i know only grounds and to protect and to reduce line voltage so i would say in the engine bay its only going to give you cleaner signals to other things electrical! get it! actually a journeyman in which is higher than a normal electrician. and am currently working on my electrical license
Old 09-27-2005, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ While technically you can see cleaner signals... the system is designed to ignore a certain level of transient noise and non-zero ground levels. So unless the system is completely out of whack, you will see little change if actually measuring, and no noticeable change. It becomes overkill at a point quite a ways away from where the stock systems operate.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would like to positively contribute my findings to this thread.

I was having a random misfire in my car a few weeks ago, and believed it to be a grounding issue. A quick one-over found that all the stock grounding straps had been removed (or maybe I forgot to put them on!). Did several resistance checks, and it turns out a coil went bad on me. Resistance was 000 from several points on the head and trans to several different chassis points.

My car has always been a sucker to start. It sounds like either a) the starter is dying or b) my motor is 14:1 c/r. Since it is a brand new starter, I am going to try adding a grounding cable from the trans to the chassis, since there is not one now. I am going to go ahead and run one to the side of the head while I'm at it for good measure.