Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Has anyone installed a ZPI s-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Has anyone installed a ZPI s-pipe?

I am still awaiting my ZPI s-pipe, but has anyone gotten thiers yet and want to post pics? I am hoping this will be the missing link for my exhaust setup. I went from alphawerks + stock mids & TRD to alphawerks + CC full stainless with hi-flow cat & borla. It took the rasp from 3.5k rpms to 4.5k so now I am hoping the s-pipe will take it the rest of the way.

PLEASE NO ZPI flaming!!! I ordered June 8th, questioned its location via pm around the 13th and got a phone call the same day telling me I was getting a 2nd revision that will be stainless w/ laser cut flanges either end of this week begining of next week.

/me puts on flame suit anyway...
Old 06-21-2005, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats correct. The version 2 will be here within the next couple of days. We just realized that the stainless pieces with the laser cut flanges were a much nicer piece. Now we are just awaiting them back from the mandrel bender and they will be shipped out.

Charles
Old 06-21-2005, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

there's still raspiness after u went with the CC full catback? i just ordered the same setup-CC catback with borla, the high flow cat and the alphawerks. my exhaust should be here tomorrow, and the header by next week. i didn't realize that at higher rpms there'd still be some raspiness. i thought there wouldn't be a problem with that once u went to a full catback. this really sux. do u really think the s-pipe would fix the problem?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah, there is deffinetly rasp. It sounded horrible when we started it up in my friends shop. I thought the full CC stainless catback would get rid of it too but it just moved its starting point up by 1000 rpms.

I took the car to a muffler place to get the tip shortened b/c it stuck out about 2 inches from the bumper and I just hate little things like that and the guy said the s-pipe should make a big difference and he told me to wait until I get that in b/c I asked him about putting in a glasspack.

*edit, in defense of the catback it does make the tc sound sexy as hell below 4k like a deeper quieter trd.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you just need a resonator directly after the s-pipe
Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sticking out 2 inches? Mines fine. Its how the muffler positioned, coz one hole is inthe middle, the other is on the side. Mines flush with the bumper, just sits kinda to the right.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SmurfytC
Sticking out 2 inches? Mines fine. Its how the muffler positioned, coz one hole is inthe middle, the other is on the side. Mines flush with the bumper, just sits kinda to the right.
Yeah I put it together so the elbow pipe would be pulled back but it still hung out past the bumper by about 1.5 inches.

Do you have a header? how is your rasp?
Old 06-22-2005, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
How much hp loss will I encounter with one? the muffler guy didnt want to sell me one until i expierenced the exhaust with the s-pipe b/c he thought it would take away too much hp.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have the header, but i'm thinking about getting one. But i think i'll wait till someone installs one with a resonator to hear how it sounds. As of now, no noticable gain.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I seriously doubt the s-pipe will get rid or even reduce the raspiness, it’s increasing the airflow, just like the exhaust is, just like the headers are. That's just my guess though, we'll have to see. Imo, the best way to get the sound you want will be through a very good muffler. You already have your muffler setup though via your new exhaust system, so, I see a resonator in your future. Unless you get the axle section redone with a different, more efficient, muffler.

On a side note, I've heard that the raspiness reduces over time. I have no idea if that's true or not, or why it would be true. Some have said it's because of the headers "breaking in." Just something I've heard.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZPIracing
Thats correct. The version 2 will be here within the next couple of days. We just realized that the stainless pieces with the laser cut flanges were a much nicer piece. Now we are just awaiting them back from the mandrel bender and they will be shipped out.

Charles
I have one slated to ship, I applaud ZPI for taking a very brief period of time to have production pieces made. From a business perspective and product presentation it is the right call. I have cameras, video camera and Dyno time slated for testing as soon as it arrives.

Thanks Kenny and Charles.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mr_lore
Originally Posted by matty-tC
How much hp loss will I encounter with one? the muffler guy didnt want to sell me one until i expierenced the exhaust with the s-pipe b/c he thought it would take away too much hp.
minimal. maybe .5hp
Old 06-22-2005, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my expierence the rasp has gotten better but only slightly, I have ~1300 miles on my header and a little less than 200 on my CC catback and borla muffler.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how does it sound before it gets raspy ?? DEEP?
Old 06-23-2005, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a TRD axle back and a CAI setup but slightly deeper and quieter