Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

has anyone passed emmision testing w/ headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:57 PM
SL Member

Default has anyone passed emmision testing w/ headers

i just purchased some headers and know wut to do with the antifouler trick but i hear that it will come up as low flow detected in the cat. i just want to know if anyone has passed emission- state inspection with headers installed
Old 12-28-2007, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member

I passed the smog with my header they don't even pop the hood to do the test as long as your check engine light isn't on you're fine.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it depends on what they test for in your state.

in md, the only requirements to pass my first 2 year inspection was the gas cap sealed properly, and there was no CEL. and there couldn't be any noticile black smoke coming out of my exhaust for more than 10 seconds or something.

now, if you have a header, with an anti-fouler, you might pass because you do not have a CEL, but if they hook you up to a sniffer, and your secondary cat isn't converting enough of the emissions to reduce pollutants, then you will fail, or if you have an aftermarket mid-pipe with no cat, then you will fail a sniffer test.

so check your laws and local goverment emissions testing standards and see what they dictate.

but if they are like md, they really really don't care, so long as the car isn't an obvious environmental hazard.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

as long as u don't live in cali...you should be ok
Old 12-28-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I live in MA and passed the sniffer and everything. If you dont have a CEL you should be good(in MA anyways)
Old 12-28-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you're OBDII and you have 2 cats, unless you live in Cali (or some other weird state I'm not aware of) they shouldn't actually even smog test your exhaust.

They just check to make sure your cats are still in tact and make sure you don't have a CEL.

There is no reason you shouldn't pass emissions, and if not, just toss the mechanic a case of beer or 20 bucks and that should do it.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:36 PM
SL Member

i live in texas where they hook the obd scanner to your obdII port and they dont care about the other tests just as long as there were no codes your good now what i did hear is that when you put the headers on and do the anti fouler trick the computer in your car reads low flow detected bank 1 sensor 2 or something like that and you wont be able to pass i really dont know and whats funny is i am an inspector but have not had a car come in with a cat takin off i dont ill try it and see what happens
Old 12-29-2007, 12:11 AM
SL Member

does anyone from texas have headers in an emissions testing county passed with headers?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:28 AM
SL Member

does anyone else have any answers to my question?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:54 AM
SL Member

out of all the people on this site no one else has an answer to my question?
Old 12-30-2007, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, you have to ask the question, how often does texas test for vehicle emissions? then you have to ask, how many people in texas have replaced their header and exhaust with a cat-less system.

now look, if you state does it like maryland, when you are due for testing, they will send you an information pamphlet along with your summons for emissions testing and it will literally tell you everything they are going to test on your car, and what faults they will fail you for.

if it says there is a visual inspection, your boned, if it says you can't have a CEL, and your antifouler isn't working, your boned, if they hook it up to a sniffer and say your vehicle is emitting more pollutants than is allowable, your boned, if you slip the attendant some cash, you pass.

and if they are even more like md, they really, really don't care so long as they aren't be supervised, so just calm the f@%k down. also, alot of people are away right now for the holidays aren't probably aren't checking posts alot right now.

timing is everything.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:20 AM
SL Member

so maybe you didnt read my posts correctly I AM AN INSPECTOR the problem is i can not inspect my own car but i know people to pass it for free i was just curious as to if it would pass or not even with no cel... thats not exactly what i asked ill say it again has anyone pssaed obdII testing with headers?
Old 12-30-2007, 06:33 AM

i want headers. but everyone says you'll fail smog cuz it eliminates the cat
also is it true that the dc header is carb?
Old 12-31-2007, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i just checked the CARB site and there is no mention of any header for the tC being smog exempt
Old 12-31-2007, 01:52 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

There will never be a smog except header for the tc because it elimates the cat that was previously there.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by Trysten711
so maybe you didnt read my posts correctly I AM AN INSPECTOR the problem is i can not inspect my own car but i know people to pass it for free i was just curious as to if it would pass or not even with no cel... thats not exactly what i asked ill say it again has anyone pssaed obdII testing with headers?
Easy there tiger...you posted 26 minutes apart crying about an answer to your question, which seems to have been already answered by you. If you can get someone to pass your car regardless then why does it matter?

But if you really want to know, take you car to a Checker's or AutoZone and have them run a scan...if it comes back with anything then you most likely aren't going to pass. And if you ARE an inspector why not just take the OBDII scanner outside after work.