Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Having Clutch Issues, Need help Diagnosing/Pin Pointing Problem. PLZ HELP ME!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Having Clutch Issues, Need help Diagnosing/Pin Pointing Problem. PLZ HELP ME!

First i Drive a 2005 tc with 96k, still have the stock clutch and flywheel aswell. So As of 2/3 Days ago My clutch has Started to act up. Seems like Every now and then When i Either Upshift or Downshift my Clutch will stay down and slowly come back up, very Spongy Feeling in a way. But it wont happen threw every gear, it will happen just once and it will go away and do it again later one.

1st Examples: in 2nd gear catching up to speed on the hwy i rev to 4/5k and shift to 3rd and let go of the clutch it will feel spongy and stay down and slowly come back up, and it will also catch really low during the times it happens.

2nd Example: 4th gear the same hting going up to 4/5k RPMs it will feel spongy and once i go into 5th it will stay down but will slowly come back up like i said very spongy.

3rd Example: In 5th gear driving around 60/70 on the hwy then slowing down to downshift i shift into 4th and it feels like it catches very low and feels spongy and will slowly come back up, but after that all the other gears will go in fine, till later on when it starts up again, happens alot threwout the day.

What do you guys think it is? I searched around the forum and found a few cases where the clutch was engaged and stuck that way but thats not the problem im having. Any help would be great and any Advice. I just want To get This resolved before it gets anyworse. Also if its the clutch gone bad, how much should a clutch install go for, and another 2 questions when/if i change my clutch should i change the flywheel out aswell too? im not planning on going any crazy staged clutch jus going with the OE Exedy replacement.

Please help and sorry for the long Post..
Old 09-19-2009, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have u ever done maintenance to the clutch systemitself?? as in bleeding the clutch, replacing the fluids?? fluids after a while go bad and should be replaced every 100k miles (clutch/brake system wise)

it sounds like possibly the master cylinder might need a rebuild or replacing possible which would explain the lag in engagement... try to have a mechanic inspect the clutch mc for leaks or wear...

a clutch job can run around 3-400 for labor and another 200-300 for a new clutch and maybe 30 bucks more for a flywheel resurfacing... of ad another 250-330 if u up grade the flywheel...
Old 09-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Banned
SL Member

Never done any of that, most likely will have to go get that checked out, another question, should i change the flywheel when i change the clutch??

i also found a exedy OE clutch kit for 123 shipped is that bad??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
great feedback too and there a power seller. is this good?

how much would bleeding and refilling the MC cost?? and would a stainless steel clutch line be good too?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you dont have to replace the flywheel, just have it resurfaced.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:52 AM
Banned
SL Member

got it. thanks everyone. anymore advice?
Old 09-20-2009, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The exedy OEM replacement is just fine if you're not racing and just daily driving. It does sound like the master cylinder taking a dump on you though. Pedal not returning is a lack in pressure caused by air in the system. How it gets in? Who knows but it's bad when it does. For the time being, you can pull the pedal to you with the tip of your foot if needed lol.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned
SL Member

yeah the exedy doesnt seem bad and its a pretty good price, im not boosted nor do i have power like that lol. and im thinkin it is the MC but my clutch doesnt stay down though, it jus feels spongy and comes back up slowly right away, doesnt stay down where i have to bring it up on my own. how much would a job like this cost?
Old 09-20-2009, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends on who you know and where you take it. It can vary widely.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Banned
SL Member

do u guys think it can be the slave cylinder?