Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

header

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default header

alright ive read in pretty much every forum that running the weapon r header or MMW or whatever gives about 15 whp on average thats what im seeing. now when i looked at the header round up when they tested the different headers all except MMW they got about a 9 whp jump and 5 ft lbs of tq for the alphawerks, and about an 8 whp 4 ft lbs of torque increase for the megan and thats just the header with an aftermarket axel back on with stock s pipe and stock midpipe. now the weapon r is a header and 2.5" s pipe so your removing that stock restrictive s pipe. now what happens when u have the alphawerks or megan header and add a 2.5" s pipe? what are the power gains then? anyone have any idea or dyno?
Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

guessing 4-5 hp for an aftermarket 2.5" s-pipe
Old 09-16-2008, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea so even then your looking at around 12-13 hp for header and s pipe for a megan or alphawerks header. the weapon r is only 2-3 hp more. if u already have an aftermarket header and s pipe i dont see why there is any reason to change and spend another $446 for 2 hp. not worth it IMO. u can easily get that on a temperture drop. or prob get that heat wrapping the header u have if its stainless. wouldnt u agree.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The MMW also comes with their CEL Fix which retails for $50...

If you already have the header and the s-pipe, I would keep them on the car and do something else with your $446. maybe some NST lite pullies to get your extra hp???
Old 09-16-2008, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea exactly. although im already running the a-power light weight crank so wouldnt do that. think i got everything i can get for bolt ons for an n/a tc. just wanted to see if it was worth it. cause i hear others talking about lose the megan and go for the weapon r. and yes a lil more hp and lil less rasp but not worth the money if u have already bought a dif type. now if i wanted to run s/c right now i would have to get rid of my megan but other than that no reason to.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you can get the Alternator and the water pump pullies from NST to add to your AP crank pulley to lighten it all up
Old 09-16-2008, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea but would it be worth it? and i wonder if they can make it in black?
Old 09-16-2008, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Kris5597
yea but would it be worth it? and i wonder if they can make it in black?

if you are trying to get all the power out of your NA tC... would be worth it to me

I think they just make red and grey
Old 09-16-2008, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i see what u mean. i might have to get it. i would def get it in grey for sure though.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

yea exactly. although im already running the a-power light weight crank so wouldnt do that. think i got everything i can get for bolt ons for an n/a tc. just wanted to see if it was worth it. cause i hear others talking about lose the megan and go for the weapon r. and yes a lil more hp and lil less rasp but not worth the money if u have already bought a dif type. now if i wanted to run s/c right now i would have to get rid of my megan but other than that no reason to.
I've always had great performance and quality out of my Megan header. They've been making racing parts for over 25 years and started off ONLY building racing parts for NASCAR. They got into the main consumer market about 12 years ago. Personally, great part for the price. I have one new Megan Racing header that Im about to get coated. The one I have on my 08 tC I had on my 06 tC. Have 1200 miles on my new one and had it on my 06 for at least a good 40K and never a problem, welds still look great, no worpping, nada. If you want a different colour... go with a company like Jet-Hot. they do great work and will give a powder high heat coating to it. They been in business for years too and do great work. I wouldnt change out MY Megan for a new header unless one landed in my lap for free. Not worth it for 2 hp ... like was said before.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

yea i see what u mean. i might have to get it. i would def get it in grey for sure though.
Was trying to decipher your comment...and follow where it came from.
PLEASE! ... tell me you are NOT talking about header wrap. I have built cars and hotrods for many years. Do not use this material on your header. you will regret it.
Let me fill you in on the fine print they dont tell you about this material. Does it work and help disapate heat? yes it does. But what they dont tell you is that it does not allow the normal expansion and contraction of the metal of the header. So basically what happens is that it will severly shorten the life-span of your header. It will physically fail over time because of this material. Common argument... well NASCAR and etc, use it.. yes they do. but they also rebuild the engines and trannies from ground up every couple of races so they've got the budget to use the stuff b/c the headers get tossed every 4-5 thousand miles anyways. If you want lower temps under the hood and longer life of your header... ship it to JET-HOT. they do a kick a$$ job.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i hear ya. i was thinking about taking off the wrap so i could see that nice burnt bronze color. and yes i love my megan header. and i was talking about the NST lightweight flywheels and 20% underdrive alternator pulley. comes in red and grey. and yes like i said. my header is wrapped. only been on my car for maybe 1000 miles or so and it was brand new. also the wrap is painted with a heat resistant black coating. and yea i see what your saying i hear the header wrap also holds in moisture and will make it rust through. engine temp isnt really that dif IMO. anyone else think header wrap is crap? i like to have multiple opinions and go with whatever gets more votes no offense or nothing mouse u make a great point and im highly considering taking it off. do u run a megan s pipe as well?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

oh my bad... didnt see the "pulley" comment. but if you have the wrap yeah get it off of there ASAP. what it does is cause the metal to fatigue much much faster because the wrap doesnt let it expand and contract normally.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

hey Kris... no offense taken. its good to get a 2nd opinion no matter what you do. Just sayin I'm an old school racer builder. and have seen the damage that wrap can do. The Jet-Hot coating I mentioned actually has been shown to lower temps under the hood by 300 degrees F. And is so good that you can literally touch the header with your hand after 20 mins after the car had been running at full operating temp. .... No Im not running a Megan S-pipe at this point. but thinking about it.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn i can see where the wrap would be bad. i might go take it off right now. and yea jet hot is cool but i dont think ima put the money into it. just not yet. would like to but dont think so. what coating did u go with or are u even jet hotted?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

I have a Megan header on my 08 tC now.... but also through kick backs with sellers...trading/ etc... I also have a brand new Megan Racing header that has never been installed. I'm having it Jet-Hotted now. its really not that bad. you can get it done for around only 100 bucks or less. depending on the type of coating you want.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

o really thats cool. the only thing is, is that i dont have a stock header so im kinda screwed if i take it off. cant drive the car. should have kept it. dumb move on my part. what all u running on your car?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i get mixed comments on header wrap. some say yes some say no. heard turbo manifolds are a def no no.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i hear that. way too much heat. i really think ima go unwrap it right now. lol
Old 09-16-2008, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by cmv138
i get mixed comments on header wrap. some say yes some say no. heard turbo manifolds are a def no no.
Well you have to decide for yourself because everyone is going to have an opinion. Im not trying to come off like some "holyier than thou" by any means. Just that I've built hotrods for show and go for many years and have seen what the header wrap can do to the part's life-span. While the wrap disapates the heat. It does not allow the metal of the header inside to cool down properly. Mainly it inhibits the normal expansion of the metal during use and then it actually acts like an insulator after the engine has been turned off. Hince, fatiguing the metal over time. The ONLY thing the wrap does is disapate heat more during operating temp. but in my opinion it doesnt outweigh the downside of fatiguing the metal over time. If someone has bags of cash just laying around to buy new parts then wrap them....but that's not for me.

Quick Reply: header