Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Which header with Borla exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kcautotc
back to my question, how did you get borla from the factory? ive never heard of this?
Depends where you bought your car.

Say you bought your car @ Sparks Toyota. They carry a lot of extra aftermarket parts on their website. Im sure they could put on whatever you want.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there a difference between the Borla axle back from TRD Sparks and the one found on Ebay? The TRD Sparks one shows that the inlet and outlet are at opposite ends of the muffler, while the one on Ebay (or found on Borla's website) the inlet and outlet are on the same side... I can post pictures if anyone doesn't know what I mean.

I'm just concerned if there is a power/sound difference between the two, because the TRD Sparks setup is cheaper...
Old 03-16-2006, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you know, i noticed that, too. but no, the real borla is the one youve seen that looks like the trd. i dont what that crap on sparks is, but its not authentic. i think if im not mistaken it also says "compare", im too lazy to look. but most likely its just a borla muffler, with the rigging. i mean, look how long the one support bracket was, it was like a foot long, borla would never do that.
and as far as my former question, thats what i assumed, but they made it sound like it was an option for some regions.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

My dealer offered Borla from the factory. They also offered the TRD, but I opted for the Borla even though it was more money. It has a Borla tip (say "Borla" on it) and Borla muffler (again, says "Borla" on it). Also has a high-flo cat on it, thus why they advertise it as a "cat back" system.

Sounds absolutely incredible, not raspy, but very deep and throaty. IMO, worth the money, especially since its covered under warranty!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is interesting... if you look at the catalog on Borla's site, look at the Mini Cooper S exhausts they offer... there are two offered, a "regular" Borla exhaust, and an "aggressive" Borla exhaust. By comparing the part numbers to the ones in the pictures, the "aggressive" one has a round muffler, like the one on TRD Sparks has for our cars; while the "regular" one has an oval muffler, which is what Borla has listed for us in their new product section (and is what is sold on Ebay).

The Borla system from Borla's site:

The Borla System from TRD Sparks site (it won't let me link the picture):
http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...2&parts_id=644

I wonder if the system on TRD Sparks has a more aggressive exhaust note? I might have to call them up...
Old 03-16-2006, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

'gxcandy' on the board has this type of exhaust.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i like this one better, mind you, it just that hanger screams custom, i cant see borla doing that, espeicially the way the hanger attatches to the piping. everything else seems ok. and also note that that is the trd air filter, too. i could be wrong, i could be right. either way, borla's site always says they dont have a part number for the tc, i dont know why this is?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think they have integrated it into that lookup yet. If you look in the new products part, the tC exhaust is in there.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I emailed TRDSparks about the two different Borla exhausts, and this is the reply I got:

The Borla exhaust we sell is one that was made for Toyota by Borla. They have a different design but the performance is the same. Borla can't sell the same one we have because of a contract between them and Toyota. So they made a different design. That's really what the difference is. If you have any questions let me know.