Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Header CEL Fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NCBIGGJ
I put mine on the second one and I keep getting the 1st bank code. Somehow I damaged the first one, I guess taking it out gently and setting it on the table and putting it back in nicely didnt do the trick. I will have to try and get a new one, I know they are not cheap though.
That front one is about $200 at the dealership. I found this out already . Mine was stuck so I just got another one.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad
Make sure you drill one of them out with a 1/2" bit...opening it up completely. Screw your sensor in to this drilled out one and then screw the non-drilled one onto the that. Then screw it into the S-Pipe bung. Should be set to go and be very, very careful with the sensor.
So does it appear that I did it right? I used a 1/2" bit and that's how they came out....
Old 11-22-2006, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just installed a Megan Header 2 days ago and used 2 anti-foulers... and just today i got a CEL!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

add 1 more antifouler and reset the ECU.. try that
Old 11-22-2006, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I were to add another antifouler, i would not have enough slack in the wire to connect it to the wiring harness.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

megan headers just stink go alpha works
Old 11-22-2006, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I couldn't pass up the deal i got... Megan Header, CF Hood bundled all for $220 w/ install from private seller. I'm gonna try reseting the ECU when i get home today! I'll keep everyone posted if the CEL comes back and after how long!
Old 02-09-2007, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

How hard was it for you guys to drill through the anti-fouler??...I am using an electric drill and am finding it extremely difficult to drill through. Was it so hard for all you guys too?
Thank you in advance....

P.S. A lil thread ressurection??...lol
Old 02-09-2007, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for me it was brutal! I have a drill press but i was using a plain steel drill bit(as opposed to titanium or wutever) and it took for ever and alot of spraying with wd40 the heat was insane i could see smoke and sparks shooting around inside. when i finally got through,the tip(threaded part) of the nonfouler was black from the heat.
also halfway through i had to stop for ear plugs because it was screeching to the point that my ears where ringing badly.

got it done thought now to put it on...
Old 02-10-2007, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Ok, thanks for the input!!!...I know, it is brutal and the box of brand new drill bits say they are titanium!!....

Well I guess that means I just need to keep drillin....lol

Thanks again....
Old 02-14-2007, 05:16 AM
SL Member

ok boys and girls heres the real deal on the C.E.L Lets start from the top there are 2 cats on the stock tC exhaust. So if you do plan to score a header dont matter the brand.(I bought alphawerks,only cuz it was one of the first on the market.)Anywho back to the lecture at hand.The first O2 sensor comes before the 1st cat .So you can forget that one. The second cat is the the one everyone is bitcin about. Ok here goes the reason for CEL is there is no back pressure. YOU DELETED YOUR 1ST CAT HELLO!!! Still with me,I hope so. The exhaust flows better with no cat to restrict it, this means the 2nd O2 sensor is running lean. The second O2 sensor tells the ecu that there is not enough pressure going through the exhaust. But thats the whole reason you have a HEADER !!! So exhaust gasses will flow more freely,and that means YUP YOU GUESSED IT MORE HORSEPOWER. The only other little thing is a little bit more of fuel will be consumed.Your making more power with a better air intake,header,exhaust flow so its only natural to burn more fuel. You think turboed tCs or S/C tCs have good gas mileage,HELL NO, why do you think all forced induction setups need fuel upgrades like bigger injectors,Its cuz the more power you make the more fuel you need to power the engine.But im sure you read up on all that before you do any kind of install.Just think about it.Just cuz your car has the CEL doesnt mean your car is going to ruin. Oh yeah you anti fouler guys if the CEL bothers you that much sell your DAMN headers. All your doing is trying to trick the ECU so exhaust pressure will get trapped in the anti fouler, and the O2 will tell the ECU that everything is ok. But if the ECU thinks everything is ok its going to send the stock fuel setting to the injectors and you wont get the full potential from your 200$-700$ headersWHAT A WASTE !!! But eventually the ECU will figure it out. Another thing all the cars of today especially imports. The ECUs are so sophisticated that they will compensate for more fuel faster intake faster exhaust flow,and give all the power you paid so much money for. So why let a little CEL bother you. ANY SMART ASE CERTIFIED MECHANIC LIKE ME KNOWS THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS THE TOYOTA DEALERSHIP MONEY MAKER.I am a certified greasemonkey that works or toyota. So I truly hope every one reads this and stops _____ing about the CEL.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:29 AM
SL Member

Maybe I went to far with my first post.All im trying to say is that CEL is not fixable so dont waste your time stripping out O2 sensor bungs and buying sparkplug foulers.