Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Header install problems. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Header install problems. Need advice.

I have an 05 TC and was trying to install my header a week ago. I had some problems with one nut that just wouldnt come loose and was awkward to get to.

Its the lower left nut on the header face right next to the alternator. I saw the DIY and that an open faced wrench and tap it with a hammer. The only problem is that the position of the nut didnt allow me to get on there and i stripped the hell out of the nut plus it was really rusted.

After fussing with that for a while and nothing i tried a center punch and getting it tapped down with a flat head screwdriver which failed and only stripped the nut more. So eventually i gave up and decided to figure something out for another day.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to get this nut to break free?

Im thinking the only option left is to dremel it or somehow break it off but as you are aware the position for that is really bad and im not sure if i would be able to get in there.

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Air guns are your friend to take those bolts off
Old 12-26-2010, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

From the perspective of standing at the front of the car looking at the engine bay, The lower left one on the tC is positioned to where it's a little more challenging to take off/put on correctly. This is true with any year of the 1G tC.
There is a trick to getting that one off and back on again w/o damaging it or anything else.
I've installed headers for so many people's tCs local to me I lost track. lol.

Easiest way is to use a multi-angle adapter on the end of at least a 4-6" extension on ratchet socket set. This allows you to get the socket onto it squarely like it needs to be so you dont strip the corners off of a nut or bolt.

Since you already have stripped it... If it were a bolt, you could simply drill the center then use a bolt extractor tool on a power drill and get it the damaged one out like that. If it's just a nut that you've stripped the corners off of, there is a tool that works in much the same way, except that it looks like a modified socket, not a drill bit. It has lobes in the socket barrel so that it grips the nut in the middle of the side instead of a regular socket that grips at the corners. Most local auto parts places carry both kinds of extractors and aren't very expensive.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you don't need air tools to remove those bolts, since you already did strip that one nut just use a 4mm socket on a ratchet to remove the whole screw with the bolt if you can (forgot since i haven't swapped headers in a while) but that way you can just dremel the bolt off after unless you dremel it while it's still on the block and just buy a new bolt to replace it with
Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys i appreciate the input. I will try either one of those. I wasnt sure if i would be able to take the bolt out since the nut was still attached but i can try that. If that doesnt work i will pick up the extractor.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

U can't really get a socket to that bolt straight on so I'd go with what mouse said an use a multi angled adapter since..that bolt is the reason I didn't put my header on and is now up for sale..It's a PITA as in the bracket bolt underneath..
Old 12-27-2010, 03:08 AM
SL Member

This is exactly what i used to get it off and it worked amazingly. I use it everytime i want to make adjustments on my headers and i used it to take them off when i did my turbo install. Its a 3/8" Flex Handle (also know as breaker bar). I also believe that every scion tC owner should have one of these!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks but how does the socket fit on the nut there? the alternator gets in the way.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 AM
SL Member

Not with the flex handle. You'll just inch it off so to speak. Ive done it many times. Put the socket on the flex handle. When you try to get the socket on the bolt the flex handle will let it be angled on there but the socket will have enough grab to get the bolt off. Once it has started to come off, just use your fingers to unbolt it.

Last edited by SierraRomeoAlpha; 12-27-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get the slim open faced wrench. it should work.

PS: I didn't really follow the DIY to spray WD 40 before loosen the bolts. I loosen it when the engine was hot. that way all bolts easy take it off. please WEAR GLOVE if you do it when engine is hot.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm... so many suggestions of tools... i ALWAYS used a 12point 12mm wrench i use the closed side... never had an issue

now that its strippe dyour only option is to remove the alternator and then remove the stripped bolt/nut with a extractor.. then replace