Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Header question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Default Header question

What's up everyone? I have a 2006 Scion tC. I've had it for more than half a year. I have a cold air intake and a custom cat back exhaust with a after markter muffler. I want to put headers on my car. Most likely the MMW headers. My friend has the obx headers with the s-pipe and the trd exhaust and his car sounds very ricey. i dont like that sound. it reminds me of a honda civic and i dont want my car to be seen as one of those. Well my car sound just like that if i get the MMW headers because i need some more performance done to my car and the headers can help.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Banned
SL Member

you are gonna need a big resonator to help tone down the sound... if not, you=rice
Old 12-23-2006, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 2_much_tc
you are gonna need a big resonator to help tone down the sound... if not, you=rice
thats what i dont want. I was thinking of a high flow cat but i dunno. right now my exhaust sounds deep and mean and i wanan keep it that way. i was thinking of putting the spipe first for a lil more power and louder sound. you think i should do that?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Banned
SL Member

there really isnt another way of avoiding the rice sound if you dont put a resonator with headers. I have the Megan Catback Exhaust (with my original cat) and a K&N CAI and it sounds really nice. I dont want to install headers cause I will need to put a large resonator (30 in) to tone down the sound, but the rasp is still there. The high flow cat wont help alot. And an S-Pipe for a little more power.... I dont know about that one. More noise=yes More power=ehh....
Old 12-23-2006, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

header singluar.... we only have one.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

BlackOut, how does your friend's OBX perform? Sorry for being off topic.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

they're alrite. i they gave him some power but i still pull on him on third gear. they he had the header and s pipe with the trd exhaust and they sound very ricey
Old 12-26-2006, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With any header the rasp will be there just look for an exhaust with a OEM style muffler not a N1 style also look into other options for power rather than a header if you are worried about rasp/tone.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

look into other options for power rather than a header if you are worried about rasp/tone.
BoxMan, what do you suggest to improve performance (lowest cost options)? Last thing I would like to change is the exaust. I was actually thinking about an OBX headers with the OEM exhaust to keep the noise down. Any suggestion?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:07 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BOXMAN
With any header the rasp will be there just look for an exhaust with a OEM style muffler not a N1 style also look into other options for power rather than a header if you are worried about rasp/tone.
Like what other options? i already have a cold air intake and an exhaust. what else can i do?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're driving an NA 4cyl car. There isn't a whole lot you can do for performance without going forced induction and without causing a raspy exhaust note.

To avoid a really nasty sound, keep the diameter of the exhaust no bigger than 2.25in. Keep the factory catalytic, and have a muffler shop weld in a resonator. When I had my tC, I had Meineke weld in an 18in resonator for $100 total.

I had the MMW header/s-pipe and the cat-back from CreativeCompacts and a magnaflow muffler. The exhaust was loud, but rasp was very minimal, even before I had my supercharger installed. The only time it sounded bad was when it was still warming up.

Like what other options? i already have a cold air intake and an exhaust. what else can i do?
Nothing simple or cheap.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlackdOut06tC

Contact ZPI tell them what kind of power goals you have in mind for your N/A Tc and how much you have to spend. Kenny and the ZPI crew should be able to point you in the right direction for your long term power goals. The header is a good option but you will spend almost as much as you did on the header just trying to get your quiet Tc back. A PNP head is a great step for a serious N/A motor plus if you ever go F/I it will help make some big power for you. Also consider a Unichip and tune your car to get maximum HP. Just some thoughts feel free to Pm me anytime with ?'s
Old 12-27-2006, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kall
look into other options for power rather than a header if you are worried about rasp/tone.
BoxMan, what do you suggest to improve performance (lowest cost options)? Last thing I would like to change is the exaust. I was actually thinking about an OBX headers with the OEM exhaust to keep the noise down. Any suggestion?
That could work for you. The problem is full HP from the header is really acheived untill you free up the restriction in the stock exhaust so you are kind of fighting the HP gained with the stock exhaust. Now I am not saying it wont make power just you could make more with a full exhaust. Check my other respone for some parts to look at
Old 12-27-2006, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by mattvs
You're driving an NA 4cyl car. There isn't a whole lot you can do for performance without going forced induction and without causing a raspy exhaust note.

To avoid a really nasty sound, keep the diameter of the exhaust no bigger than 2.25in. Keep the factory catalytic, and have a muffler shop weld in a resonator. When I had my tC, I had Meineke weld in an 18in resonator for $100 total.

I had the MMW header/s-pipe and the cat-back from CreativeCompacts and a magnaflow muffler. The exhaust was loud, but rasp was very minimal, even before I had my supercharger installed. The only time it sounded bad was when it was still warming up.

Nothing simple or cheap.
Thats what my car is like right now. The only time it soiunds bad is when the car warms up. but after that it sounds amazing.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BlackdOut06tC

Contact ZPI tell them what kind of power goals you have in mind for your N/A Tc and how much you have to spend. Kenny and the ZPI crew should be able to point you in the right direction for your long term power goals. The header is a good option but you will spend almost as much as you did on the header just trying to get your quiet Tc back. A PNP head is a great step for a serious N/A motor plus if you ever go F/I it will help make some big power for you. Also consider a Unichip and tune your car to get maximum HP. Just some thoughts feel free to Pm me anytime with ?'s
alrite cool thanks. i was actually thinking about the unichip. I was thinking about gettin MMW headers and keeping my cat in. hopefully it doesnt sound raspy. and probably changing to a tanabe conecpt g exhaust.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A PNP head is a great step for a serious N/A motor plus if you ever go F/I it will help make some big power for you. Also consider a Unichip and tune your car to get maximum HP. Just some thoughts feel free to Pm me anytime with ?'s
As I said, nothing simple or cheap.

alrite cool thanks. i was actually thinking about the unichip. I was thinking about gettin MMW headers and keeping my cat in. hopefully it doesnt sound raspy. and probably changing to a tanabe conecpt g exhaust.
The unichip won't net you enough gains to warrant the money you would need to spend to make it work. For forced induction it's different, as tuning is an absolute necessity. But for NA, unless you're planning to spend 3k+ on building your engine, there's no point in an aftermarket piggy-back.