Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

headers on an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default headers on an auto?

for one im sure that they wont add as much as the manuals, but mmw with the s pipe , trd exhaust and maybe trd intake... it could be worth it??
my real reason for posting is that i couldnt find any topics about how exhaust gets quiet on autos. for one, somene please specify why this is, and two, since the headers make it real loud, but auto quiets it down towards the top end, would it cancel the other out to make a decent sounding exhaust? and the bigger resonator make it sound even better?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: headers on an auto?

Originally Posted by kcautotc
for one im sure that they wont add as much as the manuals, but mmw with the s pipe , trd exhaust and maybe trd intake... it could be worth it??
my real reason for posting is that i couldnt find any topics about how exhaust gets quiet on autos. for one, somene please specify why this is, and two, since the headers make it real loud, but auto quiets it down towards the top end, would it cancel the other out to make a decent sounding exhaust? and the bigger resonator make it sound even better?

ehh your post is a bit confusing to me....not really making any sense but from what i gather your asking how to get a good sound outta your header/exhuast on an auto ? If thats the case you would need to add a resonator or 2 to quiet it down and no it wont really take away from the growl of the exhuast.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im talking about how on an automatic transmission, when you accelerate (with aftermartket exhaut), it starts out real deep and pretty loud, but under full throttle the exhaust noise fades away towards higher rpm, where as on a manual it keeps getting louder until it hits redline...
manual= wooooooooaaaaaaaaahhhhhh
auto=hhhmmmmmm m m m m m m m. LMAO
Old 02-01-2006, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and if anybody who has auto with i-h-e, does the header still give off as annoying of a rasp as the manuals?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im talking about how on an automatic transmission, when you accelerate (with aftermartket exhaut), it starts out real deep and pretty loud, but under full throttle the exhaust noise fades away towards higher rpm, where as on a manual it keeps getting louder until it hits redline...
manual= wooooooooaaaaaaaaahhhhhh
auto=hhhmmmmmm m m m m m m m. LMAO
ohh ok got ya now...you will hear the headers/intake over the exhaust easily.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok but will the headers get quiet like the exhaust too, if so then they will prob sound a little better than the manuals?
Old 02-01-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump before work =)
Old 02-01-2006, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ok but will the headers get quiet like the exhaust too, if so then they will prob sound a little better than the manuals?
the noise will be the same. under normal conditions the auto shift's into overdrive so the noise will drop , like if some one with at manual short shifts. But if you full throttle an auto it will be just as noisy as a manual.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nemesis is correct! Noise levels will be exactly the same at same levels of throttle but its the gearing that makes it sound different.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm auto with intake and AW header. as for rasp..most of the time it doesnt happen but sometimes it does..more of how you push the pedal and how long u linger around the rpm band..for me if i push the gas about 3/4 and linger between 3500 and 4200 for a while, rasp comes up. but normall i drive with like 1/4 pushed down and it always shifts like around 3500 with the sweetest sound possible without an exhaust. and at WOT, its definitely not quiet, its WOAAAH all the way to the end and after it shifts up, noise repeats the same pattern. also at WOT, no rasp but great tone. only reason why it would seem "quieter" is because the next gear up is pretty long so it'll take longer to get back to that WOAAAH..as for daily driving its like this..

hisssssss (air sucking in noise from intake) ---low growl from intake/header---much
1K-----------2.5k-------------------------3K---------------3700---------4k----

louder growl from both in addition to kick in acceleration
------------------------------------Redline

*at each interval shown, the corresponding noise gets a bit louder.

hope u understand all of that.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

with IHE on the auto, youre going to be looking at 135-140whp. we start out at 125