Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

headers/warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default headers/warranty

if i understand correctly, in order for a dealership to be able to refuse to service the car under warranty, they have to prove that an aftermarket part caused the problem correct? so how many / what type of problems can changing the headers cause? like for example a poor install could cause what? or a problem with the headers themselves can cause what? any serious engine damage? problems with the cat?

i really would like to purchase some headers but want to make sure the chances are slim that they mess anything up

and to anyone who has them already, do they intall as easily as an axle back exhaust or intake?

and has anyone ever taken a car to a dealership to get worked on (under warranty) while having aftermarket accessories on?
Old 03-08-2005, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would also like to know this information. If anybody can share some input on installed tC headers that would be great.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great Question, I would like to know as well if anyone has the scoop on this and has asked the dealership themselves!
Old 03-09-2005, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I personally wouldn't mess with any aftermarket parts on the engine unless you dont care about your warrenty. The only way you can be 100% sure that the dealer cant refuse your warrenty is if your get a toyota/scion dealer to install your part. If you put on an aftermarket part onto your car, your dealership will find some way to prove that it absolutely had to be that part the f*ed up your car. The only major aftermarket part that I have done to my car (besides my TRD parts) is the hotchkis sway bars, which I got my toyota dealer to install for me. (so now they cant say that were installed wrong b/c it would be their fault anyways) Besides that, unless I can get a toyota dealer to install the aftermarket parts for me, Im either sticking to TRD, or will wait until the warrenty is period is over.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They don't void your warranty. I have taken all of my last 3 cars in for warranty work with thousands of dollars of aftermarket parts on and they don't care. Unless like you said the parts are the direct cause of the problem they won't say anything about it. Our dealership even installed a few of the parts on my Celica GT-S and never said anything about warranty.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^^Your sooooo lucky to have a dealership like that. When I wanted to get my sway bars put on so that they would be covered under warrenty, 5 out of the 6 dealerships near my house refused to install aftermarket parts, and straight up told me that if they were put on and something was to go wrong with my suspension, they would blame the bar. Thats why I'm nervous about doing anything to my car if it isn't instlled by Toyota/Scion dealers.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well... i wouldnt think it would be up to the dealer to decide whether or not they want to work on the car under warranty. and you actually paid to have the sway bars installed? how much? just curious
Old 03-09-2005, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by duston831
well... i wouldnt think it would be up to the dealer to decide whether or not they want to work on the car under warranty. and you actually paid to have the sway bars installed? how much? just curious
They can void your warrenty if they find that you did something to the car to change the way in which it runs. Now even if the part you added wasn't the problem, they can make up some BS so that they dont have to work on your car for free. Ya, I actually paid to have the sways installed just so that in the future if something happens, they cant say that the bars were installed wrong. It sucks, because i could have easily done it myself, but for the $50 install price, I felt it was worth it to keep my warrenty intact.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah your dealers must suck. I am friends with the people at mine so they are ok.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SupaWhiteTc
Yeah your dealers must suck. I am friends with the people at mine so they are ok.
Ya, their deush bags. You even mention the idea of putting aftermarket parts on your car, and they'll laugh at you.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

They most likely can void it. I know a girl I dated had an amp/sub professionally installed in her mazda... it completely voided her waranty. The dealer saw it when she was in for maintenance.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so if u go to a dealer to get something repaired and they see you have some aftermarket part and tell you that they wont work on thh car under warranty, do they go and notify some other department or office or the people that actually take care of the warranty? or can you just go find another dealer and hope for better luck?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

there is a law pretecting you from this. muegon moss law or something like that. you can take them to court if they pull that ____.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Souljah347
there is a law pretecting you from this. muegon moss law or something like that. you can take them to court if they pull that ____.
Ya, but not only is court a huge hassle, but it can get very expensive.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member

There is a law protecting it and yes it is expensive, but it would be expensive for both parties. If the dealership that your dealing with is that cheap(which sounds like they are) then they would want to avoid those costs as well.

I forget the law. I read another post with the actual name, I will try to find it. Its a great law and it sounds like the dealerships mentioned in this thread have violated the law.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:24 PM
SL Member

jrv2000 - have you heard of arguing or standing up for what you know? Or calling Scion corporate if any issues arose? I had a Subaru Impreza 2.5RS highly modified with stuff, and they replaced my clutch at 12k miles after I frie dit under warranty. How? Because you speak with them and explain that your mods have nothing to do with the issues and if they still dont do it just call corporate. Thats what I did. I said i wanted it done under warranty, they didnt want to do it, they caleld again and I told em speak with your managers and do it, they said no, then they called the 3rd time, and I told them do it now or Im calling subaru corporate because my mods ahve nothing to do with the clutch and it should go out at 12k miles. AND THEY REPLACED IT, ALL UNDER WARRANTY. You ask waht mods I had......:

- front and rear strut bar
- front and rear sway bar
- header
- catback exhaust
- intake
- springs
- full audio video system custom trunk, headrest monitors, and so on
- short shifter
- neons
- tints
- decals
- and a ton of other fun stuff on the car!

So ya jsut know what you are doing and you should be fine! I plan on modding the sh*t out of the scion and dont expect any issues (including a trd supercharger, even tho trd) and exhaust system, intake, shifter, clutch, flywheel, audiovideo and more more more!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Unless they try to say that you driving it like a racecar with all the mods tore up your clutch. Not sure what they told you, but that might have been what they were thinking. A clutch should never go out that early unless it is one crappy clutch or really hard driving (unless it is a person new to driving a stick, but it doesnt sound like that is the case). It really depends on the situation though. And some dealers are a lot better than others about backing you.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:08 AM
SL Member

I basically beat the heck out of it, tis AWD so never drove an AWD car stick beforehand, so I discovered AWD launches. But still shouldnt go out at 12k, but it did, and they covered it, after some arguing and knowledge of the car world. I seriously dont expect any issues with Scion at all!